Thread: need help

need help

need a good mix for maintenance feed . please help

Re: need help

Go over to the “chicken talk” thread ... that topic is being discussed right now

It will depend on what is available locally for you. A high quality pellet, variety of grain 5 percent calfmana, 5 percent catfish food the type made with fish not plant based is the most common mix of people I know. I know of one man that raises to sell and his mix is 2 parts layer pellets 1 part whole corn 1 part race horse oats and his birds are as healthy as any. But he has a lot of good ground for his fowl to roam and he moves pens and tie cords regularly. Good ground or environment gose a long way to raising healthy birds.

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post
    need a good mix for maintenance feed . please help
    I used to use 2 parts or 3 parts laying pellets (sadly it has been about 20 years ago) to one part Purina Pigeon Flight Conditioner but a quick look I didn't see that available. But there is:

http://www.ogdenracingpigeonclub.com...ht-pigeon-feed

Cracking the hull of anything causes the loss of nutrients so whole grains seem best and that sort of mix is great because smaller birds like hens, stags and pullets can eat it and it gives a great mix overall. Don't forget to provide a source of oyster shells and grit in a container they can get what they want out of, and greens, and some sort of protein supplement. I used a sardine type cat food back then which was awesome, but sadly that too is no longer available.