Thread: Has anyone seen a box or knives like this?

Has anyone seen a box or knives like this?

I have never seen any quite like this, some of the smaller ones look like Latin American
    quarter knives but the big ones, three and a half inch long, look more like Filipino. Some of the one inch blades have
    a fork that looks like it would be mounted to a botana Mexican style but the others the fork
    looks like it would be lashed to a binding on the leg. The box was made for knives and fits real nice.
    I only collect to preserve history and culture so any information or opinions will be apreciated

Re: Has anyone seen a box or knives like this?

They look old. Been a long time since polished. Need to make sure your shots up to date when handling something with all that rust.

Those where yoused in Mexico and by Mexican American cockers in the 1940 and 1950s . I remember my Grampa had some of his dad's old knives and they looked very similar to those . My great grandfather only fought knife from what my TATa told me . Then we went to gaff.

I've seen similar boxes here in Mexico, but never knives like those. The knives could be Mexican since in decades past I've been told we showed in free knife show. I've never seen big knives in person but in some old black and white movies and pictures I've seen them.

That's a nice antique.

Thanks for the help and information guys, knowledge shared is always good. Now to make sure the rust does not eat them

That's a nice collection. They look fairly old bout 20n30yrs at least judging by the amount rust on them and if they weren't cleaned good they'd rust up quick, unless it was some good steel... I remember 80 and 90s they sold them half inch and inch sets everywhere I was at and they were not as wide and tall as you'd see them in later years. I do recall the Mexican slasher also, just like P.I. long knife, but the fork or leg setting was more narrow on the Mexican slasher then P.I., in P.I version I made my own boot each time, were talking all back when it was still considered a sport, many years ago. Thanks for sharing..

Pretty neat. You should take some fine emery cloth and some flex and polish them up. They'd look much nicer.

Nice collection. I don't know if I would clean them up any more than needed to preserve them. I just like the look, shows the age and gives it that history I wouldn't want to lose. Would also remove the temptation to use them. They have a look that starts conversation like they are and no one could doubt they are for collecting. In the state I live that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    Nice collection. I don't know if I would clean them up any more than needed to preserve them. I just like the look, shows the age and gives it that history I wouldn't want to lose. Would also remove the temptation to use them. They have a look that starts conversation like they are and no one could doubt they are for collecting. In the state I live that makes a difference.
    HH the year they made cockfighting illegal the humane society had a few representatives at the capital. There was !5 Cockers or mor for everyone else. They. Had a display of knifes and gaffs looked just like that. All the Cockers laughed but it was still outlawed and that pos govener woman we had said her grand paw was a co kern and put her through college. ( that's what she told us when she was running.) signed t.he Bill. Lying damn Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    HH the year they made cockfighting illegal the humane society had a few representatives at the capital. There was !5 Cockers or mor for everyone else. They. Had a display of knifes and gaffs looked just like that. All the Cockers laughed but it was still outlawed and that pos govener woman we had said her grand paw was a co kern and put her through college. ( that's what she told us when she was running.) signed t.he Bill. Lying damn Democrat.
    A lying politician,I thought it was a requirement to be a politician was to be a good liar first? Got a few chicks off those hens you sent me Del,the older ones are vicious on the younger ones though.Will post some pics soon

If you clean them up with emery cloth then coat them with REM OIL gun oil they will stay pretty nice. GOOD carbon Steel rusts easier than poor steel. Kinda neat I have been a gaff man haven't seen too many knives

If you want to keep the vintage patina look a little coat of oil on occasion with minimal rubbing should work just fine.