Thread: How does soil change affect feather color?

How does soil change affect feather color?

If a family of fowl is raised for generations on certain soil how does moving them geographically to new soil affect them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How does soil change affect feather color?

Bbr single mated pair (father over daughter)... produced 2 white stags, 2 white pullets, 2 normal looking pullets, n one bbr stag. Curious if simply a recessive gene or has to do with soil composition...

Quote Originally Posted by cf3 View Post
    Bbr single mated pair (father over daughter)... produced 2 white stags, 2 white pullets, 2 normal looking pullets, n one bbr stag. Curious if simply a recessive gene or has to do with soil composition...
    Maybe it could change a shade or be duller or brighter but what’s happed as you describe is a genetic issue.

Thank you sir. have bred em for four or five years n never gotten white one. Been researching genetics and soil and was still stumped. Thank you again sir

If a family of fowl is raised for generations on certain soil how does moving them geographically to new soil affect them?
    Your guess is as good as anyone else’s. My guess, Minerals different vitamins, funguses, vegetation, weather, altitude & bugs changes things. Don’t forget whose breeding them also changes things.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; July 14th, 2019 at 02:30 AM.

The soil good here the glaciers melted in this area. I've been adding lime, n fertilizer, coffee grounds, etc. Machete down weeds before go to seed n letting alfala, n clover, n grasses go to seed in the fall. For sure every one that breeds alters the flock from seedstock overtime. There's not much worse concern than wondering if doing things right while waiting to find out. Thank you mongoose for your input, always enjoy your contributions conversations
    Last edited by cf3; July 14th, 2019 at 02:44 AM.

I don't know either but it does. Lot of my pens always had floors in them to help keep predators out and after having been in those pens for a few months color seem to always be a little more dull and dark . Course a lot of that can change from year to year with the molt regardless of the quality of the ground but fowl on rich dirt with the right amount of sunshine always seem to have vibrant healthy looking feathers. Almost like they are wet or a high sheen to them. That's one of the important things about rotation. Especially if you see a change in the quality of feathers or skin color you know it passed the time to move them.

Thank you skincarvér. Spot on. Hens gone broody on clutch go in pens w bottoms to hatch in. A lil box w dirt n sand gives em area to dust bath but always feel after they come out with their chics they r stale and need a good freshening up. Hens r treated like roosters n get cord, scratch , jump, fly pen rotations. Yearly hatch freeranged, all adult fowl penned every night n brought out in morning.
    Last edited by cf3; July 14th, 2019 at 03:37 AM.

Thank you skincarvér. Spot on. Hens gone broody on clutch go in pens w bottoms to hatch in. A lil box w dirt n sand gives em area to dust bath but always feel after they come out with their chics they r stale and need a good freshening up. Hens r treated like roosters n get cord, scratch , jump, fly pen rotations. Yearly hatch freeranged, all adult fowl penned every night n brought out in morning.
    Thank you also for the nice thread should be a good one. Like Mongoose mentioned above some grounds have a deficiency in vitamins and minerals anyway.. Then if you have a bottom in your pens which is a must around here then its a constant problem . You can change litter often to help fight the staleness you spoke of but even then they eventually need put out on the yard like you said to really freshen up. If I was able to have two yard I would have one in the woods and one out on a nice grassy field. Its no secret that fowl on walk have the most robust health of all . If a man could afford to emulate that by have two different environments for yards to rotate his fowl back and forth from I think his overall level of heath would increase . I don't really like pens with bottoms but sometime they are necessary and you can sure tell a difference in how they look and feel if you don't stay on top of rotating or changing the litter often enough.

Their beaks n toenails don't wear down right if not on dirt enough, drives me nuts trying change litter to give em different textures, oak leaves, maple leaves, Corn husks, grass clippings, hay, straw, sand etc...Winters are long n cold. I always wonder if I was them what would I want....I'm starting to think it'd be to live somewhere like Kentucky where weather not tooo drastic of far north or deep South. That's my favorite part about birds.,.learning different techniques to deal with two underlying common problems....how to keep flock healthy with adverse weather n varmint problems. .

Yes good fertile ground is very bennificial for fowl and and the minerals and Good ph probably will add a little more color but I believe mongoose hit on the biggest thing. Different breeders select different fowl and in 10-15 years can change a breed until is hardly recognizable to the original stock.

Thank you Lablue. Trying hatch enough to select from. Hatched 41 in four clutches this spring and a mink got 21 of em before got the mink. What do you suppose best trick to maintaining a family is? My humble opinion is just keeping at it...when wanna quit don't, when life gets a guy down n wants to walk away.,don't, just get back on the horse n keep carrying the pails n swinging the ax.
    Last edited by cf3; July 14th, 2019 at 05:09 AM.

Add new soil every few months...fresh top soil compost mix with alpha hay....they'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Yes good fertile ground is very bennificial for fowl and and the minerals and Good ph probably will add a little more color but I believe mongoose hit on the biggest thing. Different breeders select different fowl and in 10-15 years can change a breed until is hardly recognizable to the original stock.
    Yeah he did the breeder would be the biggest difference of all .That one thing I never understood about folks that wouldn't turn loose of fowl to absolutely no one. Everybody needs at least one or two people they can trust that is somewhat like minded when it comes to selecting. No two people will every be the same all the time when it comes to selecting but 5 or 10 years down the road with the fowl being bred apart and on different grounds a man can get fowl back or exchange fowl with that person and freshen up the blood. A lot of people claim you cant keep a line going pure for 50+ years but I think that's a good sound way to do it and how a lot of our old timers done things. Finding the people that are both like minded and trustable would likely be easier said than done though. Back then I would say about 9 of 10 people you could count on now days maybe 2 of 10 lol .

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    Yeah he did the breeder would be the biggest difference of all .That one thing I never understood about folks that wouldn't turn loose of fowl to absolutely no one. Everybody needs at least one or two people they can trust that is somewhat like minded when it comes to selecting. No two people will every be the same all the time when it comes to selecting but 5 or 10 years down the road with the fowl being bred apart and on different grounds a man can get fowl back or exchange fowl with that person and freshen up the blood. A lot of people claim you cant keep a line going pure for 50+ years but I think that's a good sound way to do it and how a lot of our old timers done things. Finding the people that are both like minded and trustable would likely be easier said than done though. Back then I would say about 9 of 10 people you could count on now days maybe 2 of 10 lol .
    . I totally agree with u Skin on this . I like this post .

2 out of ten is pretty optimistic. Good men harder to find then hen's teeth. Thank you Lino and steel City. Over years have learned alot from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    Skin I agree with you on this post always. I was like that back when it was legal. I wouldn't hardly turn loose of a feather. I didn't want to meet them. But when they made it illegal I thought that my fowl should go on after I was gone. I feel I made a good decision.

Smile Re: How does soil change affect feather color?

Feel you made a great decision...there your life's work and worth sharing. Never letting go of fowl make no sense to me simply for fact that most fowl if bred n selected improperly will be ruined in a few years and if someone younger gets em, respects em, maintains em and eventually passes them on then a noble thing has been accomplished...preservation and perpetuation across generations of humans. That's the ultimate doing right by your birds I feel. ThAnk you Lablue for your contributions to humanity. I don't own any of your fowl but would bet everything I own some young person does and their flock is their sanctuary in a crazy world.
    Last edited by cf3; July 14th, 2019 at 06:46 AM.

Yeah, and you have the best ground I’ve seen in a rooster yard yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skin I agree with you on this post always. I was like that back when it was legal. I wouldn't hardly turn loose of a feather. I didn't want to meet them. But when they made it illegal I thought that my fowl should go on after I was gone. I feel I made a good decision.
    Yeah I agree with that too, I never did like letting any out. Especially to just anybody that come along . I didn't want to meet them, didn't want to risk them letting them out all over the place and just to be honest I didn't want anybody else to have them cause they were mine lol. But then something happen that cost me some of the best owl I ever owned and there was nowhere in the world that I could find to replace them . I had one cock left and a buddy of mine had his momma . I didn't trust him enough to loan out the cock and he didn't trust me I guess enough to loan out the hen so we both eventually lost out . I wish that one time at least I had worked harder to trusted. He if nothing else just drove the rooster over to his house and let him bred then hen and took him home ever few days .He didn't live that far but its one of those little things in life people tend to get hung up on and cant see the forest for the tree type deals.

I don't blame you a bit for letting those Mugs out now . They deserve to be able to go on doing what they do best . Ever single good bloodline that gets lost along the way is just one step closer to Gamefowl extinction and that's what I regret most about loosing the fowl I had . I let my own inner greed stand in the way of doing what was right for the fowl. Plus I dare say that long after you and I are gone they'll still be a DMM clipping somebody out of the air somewhere for years to come. That in itself is what its all about and makes it all worth while.
    Last edited by Skincarver; July 14th, 2019 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    . I totally agree with u Skin on this . I like this post .
    Thanks Steel City ............

2 out of ten is pretty optimistic. Good men harder to find then hen's teeth. Thank you Lino and steel City. Over years have learned alot from you guys.
    Yeah that was probably the understatement of the year LOL . Im usually more of a doomsdayer but was trying to look on the bright side lol .

Quote Originally Posted by Pasqually View Post
    Yeah, and you have the best ground I’ve seen in a rooster yard yet

Thank you buddy. When my dad found this place here 53 acres of woods. Sandy loam ground and lots of slap to it. I've limed and fertilized it every couple years and it's a job keeping it mowed. The fruit trees are breaking the branches and fowl are very healthy. Thanks for noticing my freind.

Did I make your list???? Am I one of the two???

I think you just made my day.

Lol.

Anyway.

I like to put my input in.

I get out more than I put in believe me.

This is a great place.....sometimes lmfao

Thank you buddy. When my dad found this place here 53 acres of woods. Sandy loam ground and lots of slap to it. I've limed and fertilized it every couple years and it's a job keeping it mowed. The fruit trees are breaking the branches and fowl are very healthy. Thanks for noticing my freind.
    . It’s hard to beat good sandy ground. My ground is very sandy also It’s really nice when it rains 5 inches and I don’t have to walk thro mud or my fowl are not walking around in mud or having to eat In the mud . I also belive sandy ground Contributes to superior healthy fowl. I don’t have worm problems or bug problems either
    Last edited by Steel city farm; July 14th, 2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    . It’s hard to beat good sandy ground. My ground is very sandy also It’s really nice when it rains 5 inches and I don’t have to walk thro mud or my fowl are not walking around in mud or having to eat In the mud . I also belive sandy ground Contributes to superior healthy fowl. I don’t have worm problems or bug problems either
    Yeah you have good ground as well,only sand on my yard is what I haul in.

i have 4 properties i keep my birds. 2 of those i own.
    My main house block is an average yard with some grass, garden & coarse soil. My birds are kept in pens, but taken out some days on cords on the grass. Young ones get to roam around the yard in the day.
    My other property is 100 acres of scrub land & sandy loam, native grasses etc. Again birds are penned on this soil, some are let out while im there on other days.
    The 3rd property is owned by a friend and is all sand, some grass grows in winter, Birds are penned on that soil.
    4th property is owned by another friends mother. It is basically all rock LOL.......some soil & gardens. I keep her in supply of hens to free range. So she gets plenty eggs till i come by & pick out any i need for breeding.
    Ill switch out a cock bird for her when i need too.
    All properties are approx 20km apart so i do a lot of driving.
    I make my own food mix, & everything is fed a specific weight in feed per day, as ya do............
    I can pull a bird from any property/pen or yard and you will not tell me the difference in feather quality/health what ever.
    I put it down to good feed, clean water, routine, and being very particular in everything i do.........
    I do not believe soil/ground is the answer to the question first asked. (unless we are referring to total free range, then there would be some benefits) In that case, make it up in diet/what you feed.
    Just my experience, other than that, i know nothing about chickens.......thankyou.........
    Last edited by Crazy Eyes; July 14th, 2019 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino Zuniga View Post
    Did I make your list???? Am I one of the two???

I think you just made my day.

Lol.

Anyway.

I like to put my input in.

I get out more than I put in believe me.

This is a great place.....sometimes lmfao
    Lino I'd trust any of you gentleman on this post...that's like 8 people out of 7.something odd billion people on the planet. So far I've found one person trust enough to send a pair too in order to swap blood down the road. He's an older Puerto Rican gentleman that grew up in PR and lives a thousand miles away yet absolutely loves the fowl and keeps a small yard too.My main goal is to maintain em in case the gentleman/mentor/dearest of friends I got em from wants em back when possible...he gifted me the birds and let me stay with him after my mother past away and was in some life transitions. Birds are about people to me. Without birds I wouldn't meet such awesome people that can look up to and learn from...learn about life and what it means to stand for what believe in, to be honest with self and others, to do what is right even when it's most difficult decisions can face, to keep the faith, etc.
    Last edited by cf3; July 15th, 2019 at 12:12 AM.