Thread: Competing in Philippines

Competing in Philippines

Figured I’d start this thread so we can talk about the different breeds being shown over there.. past present future..winning and I’d like to hear of losses too.. no names of breeders PM that ****e.

we cant forget the Lemon 84...

“We Are all Binded by a Common Interest” -Gamefowl-

Re: Competing in Philippines

It's still Sweater country in the Philippines. Over the years a couple of what I like to call "hype breeds" pop up. They become popular and every breeder wants them then after a few years they start to fade. In the early 2010s the Doms was the breed to have, then it was the Mel Sims Black, now it's the Peruvians but it's now starting to fade. But over the years Sweaters stay consistent and dominates the game.

Before the sweater mania, the lemons are the one who mostly dominates the pit ofcourse this lemon has all american blood. Here comes the good looking sweater who won back to back in WSC and Candelaria 7 cocks derby i think. and that is the start of the sweater craze, but youll never know that sweaters has Lemon blood only the breeder can say it or hide it.. In sometime the sweater is dominating, here comes the boston RH and it has a lemon blood also... This sweaters and boston RH become good looking roosters maybe because of the Lemon Blood?? Lol... In short most of the time the brainy ones dominates the Philippine competetion. If you have brainy bloodlines you are safe compare of having an aggressive ones. Flight i did not consider to be a must he should be brainy enough not to be hit by a high flying bloodline...

Quote Originally Posted by tiansilog View Post
    It's still Sweater country in the Philippines. Over the years a couple of what I like to call "hype breeds" pop up. They become popular and every breeder wants them then after a few years they start to fade. In the early 2010s the Doms was the breed to have, then it was the Mel Sims Black, now it's the Peruvians but it's now starting to fade. But over the years Sweaters stay consistent and dominates the game.
    . Like this post and couldn’t agree more . I’ve never been a sweater fan here in the states because they don’t have the qualities and the style It takes to b top gaff fowl. But for the LK in PI they have the qualities and the style it takes to win in the fast pace competition there . Every once in a blue moon another breed of fowl may take the big derbies for a short period of time but it don’t take long for the sweaters to dominate the game in PI again . Whether it b staraoght sweaters or sweater crosses . More Times then not its the sweater crosses that win the top derbies in PI year end and year out Proven fact ! And people can say well they win cause there’s more sweaters then anything else being shown. Well there’s a reason for that . I’m dam sure gonna breed a ton of them and there crosses when I get to PI. Sweater /greys. Sweater/blues Sweater /roundheads and maybe sweater /Kelso’s
    Last edited by Steel city farm; July 15th, 2019 at 12:06 AM.

The competition in the PI is tough, lot of good chicken Men with a lot of time on their hands, with good bloodlines is everywhere it seems like. That being said, selecting the fighting style that is suited for the LK still holds true no matter what breed the chicken is. I breed Kelsos, Hatches, Greys, Roundheads. And out these breeds and their crosses i look for the fighting style that I believe will have sucess in the LK. Having a foundation of solid honest lines and testing them year in & year out as stags to cocks and finding that consistency in their fighting style will lead to sucess in the pit.. (we hope)

Hope this is relevant to the topic at hand.

https://youtu.be/EpY4WahgWeY

I appreciate the responses, figured we could have friendly opinions and facts about what is being shown what was being shown and perhaps will be the future..types of Gamefowl that can perform in the PI..

id like to add Mitra56 I think? A rare oriental type, had it’s time in the spotlight too but everything has a number and some can endure more adversity and remain consistent.. so it’s style, even if it was a fluke some have won without sweaters.

also I’m glad you brought up CB blues too, as I was wondering about them I’ve watched that video twice.. again just last week..

Perhaps it comes down to health and how well strains can climatize also.. the tropical weather is hard on some breeds more so than others.. and maybe that’s another reason.. sweaters stay on top over there, more gene pool to tap into.. yes they refresh it but it’s easier to keep them going as so many have them..but i have no personal experience..

I think if a guy believes his birds are LK material it should be open for discussion..as they may be a a future contestant..

I know I said keep breeders names to PM but selling broodfowl isn’t illegal and Filipinos can enjoy their sport in their country so I think it’s fine.

- let’s not forget the Zamboanga whites..and hopefully DMM will continue to do what they do and prove it to others.

good day ladies and gentlemen.

Its Still KELSO. Don't forget sweaters are 3/4 kelso and 1/4 ylh.
    Kelso/ Rh. You can still say sweater. And a
    lot of red white streamers still called sweaters. It's business side to make sweaters price high but breed sweaters and you will know how complicated his blood are or were. Just don't be fooled by propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by BALTO View Post
    Its Still KELSO. Don't forget sweaters are 3/4 kelso and 1/4 ylh.
    Kelso/ Rh. You can still say sweater. And a
    lot of red white streamers still called sweaters. It's business side to make sweaters price high but breed sweaters and you will know how complicated his blood are or were. Just don't be fooled by propaganda.
    I suppose to say this but its better to keep my mouth shut right now...lol...thats why i stop breeding sweater especially made in philippines.. Thats just me and my experience...
    Last edited by Talbo19; July 15th, 2019 at 09:47 PM.

Birds after arriving in the islands are immediately bred by owners after flushing and immunization (usually takes 1 month in my case ) for fear of losing them when they arrive and without getting something before they die.... but what I noticed that offsprings produced after the imported material is molted in the islands are much better in constitution compared to offsprings produced from early matings.....and that include Ws in my case.... I wonder what is causing the difference.....

folks ... may i share my observations ... philiipines pit ..

no questions todate ... sweaters are everywhere here in the philiipines pit arena .. big and small ..
    however, often missed out ... there are so many variations of sweaters ..so its all end-up ... sweaters by the name ..and each breeder to his own ...

gone are the days, that what is being shown were "true" to its name ... anyone here, lucky having such on his yard ... will just breed it with some blends or even used it for infusion (by breeding it out, later ...) ..since majority of the breeder priority will be the winning score ..and finding the right "formula" is never ending ...

some breeders, sheepishly admit ... economics dictates that, they do breed sweaters because that's the demand of the market ... generally, no question, sweaters do help in upgrading the overall looks of any breeding ... and also provides improvements in "shuffling" and agility ... since majority buyers, always fall into that category ... buyers will always spar the birds before buying ..as part of their selection process ...

there are few however, evaluate the history of the bloodlines in the breeder's yard ... often, need to have a good relation with the breeder ..just like a family ..

needless to say, majority breeds for battlecrosses ... and dominates the market ... so if anyone, says ..its a sweater being shown ...it would be safe to know, that ..its a sweater-looking fowl ..for what's on it ..could be a kelso, roundhead, albany, etc ...

a speck of an old hulsey lemon blood ..did wonders on some sweater blends ... same is true, a speck of an asil blood, did wonders ...

cheers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by tiansilog View Post
    Most of the breeds seem throwback of the origins

Quote Originally Posted by Pinolim View Post
    Birds after arriving in the islands are immediately bred by owners after flushing and immunization (usually takes 1 month in my case ) for fear of losing them when they arrive and without getting something before they die.... but what I noticed that offsprings produced after the imported material is molted in the islands are much better in constitution compared to offsprings produced from early matings.....and that include Ws in my case.... I wonder what is causing the difference.....
    No matter how many times you breed them pure if its not identifiable you are not sure of it

Quote Originally Posted by antair View Post
    No matter how many times you breed them pure if its not identifiable you are not sure of it
    What do you mean ?? Not sure of what ??