Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: close to right

Post Thanks / Like

close to right

For inside moisture on show day in American shows.. What's a close way of getting right under good weather conditions? I normally pull the water Thursday evening and use buttermilk.. My fowl Just don't seem to hold together well.. I appreciate any information on the subject.. Fis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: close to right

Hard got help with the info given. And I'm not sure what you mean by not holding together.. I hear people all the time say their cocks went off. I've shown thousands and the only cocks I've ever had go off were either poisoned or not fed for 48 hrs. Not saying they was all sharp but definitely not off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Son of sam View Post
    For inside moisture on show day in American shows.. What's a close way of getting right under good weather conditions? I normally pull the water Thursday evening and use buttermilk.. My fowl Just don't seem to hold together well.. I appreciate any information on the subject.. Fis
    If you are in Texas or Arizona. Somewhere dry you can use buttermilk, but buttermilk will have them pass there feed fast. If you are in a high humidity area. Do not use buttermilk the last three days. If you are pulling the water completely on Thursday. In my area I give them two dips on Thursday and two dips on Friday but . This all depends on how they are dropping. If their droppings are wet. I give no water if dry I give wet feed and water. It is impossible for a man to give you the right answer. Without being on your farm

Post Thanks / Like

I never take water till day before t
    And if I see one drinking alot the last day I throw them out but I also keep moisture in the fly pen and stall litter in my opinion moisture that is absorbed through the body the less they will drink

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Hard got help with the info given. And I'm not sure what you mean by not holding together.. I hear people all the time say their cocks went off. I've shown thousands and the only cocks I've ever had go off were either poisoned or not fed for 48 hrs. Not saying they was all sharp but definitely not off.
    I may be wrong but I think heís talking about moisture, in the cock house and birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I pull water on Thursday, and only offer on Friday night as a test. If he does anything other take a dip and shake it off, not good in my opinion. Now if he takes a dip bc heís hungry is one thing but if he indulges heís out.

7. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the responses.. As far as falling apart that I mentioned, my fowl seems to wet and don't take punishment well.. I use alfalfa from nite owl also for bleeding.. Despite taking the water away and dumping the fowl a good deal they still appear to be wet.. Not an perfect answer but a guide line to use when everything/conditions is right.. Like what would be to wet or to dry for show day?..feed ect, not anyone secrets they've worked on for years but just some ideas to correct my issue fis

Post Thanks / Like

If they are still wet using your method then just pull the water on Wednesday instead of Thursday. Dry your feed up a little, you will have to adjust to get them where you want them. Most peopleís problem is they fill sorry for them and feed and water them way to close to show time.

Post Thanks / Like

Pasqually give you good advise. I'd say just feed dry and offer water.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense, so what is my goal that I'm shooting for with how dry should I be for show? I know Charlie Carr stated when it sticks to the wall is a good goal.. Would anyone disagree with this?

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good goal the day before show. The day of show there should be nothing to pick up and through on the wall. That'll be $100 worth right there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    That's a good goal the day before show. The day of show there should be nothing to pick up and through on the wall. That'll be $100 worth right there.
    Don't tell him the other 100$ he liable to start winning them all LMAO . Just kidding . Damn good answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the time of pointing me in the right direction..

Post Thanks / Like

Dime size bubbly white with a thin clear ring around it.
    Morning of fight. Then the clock starts for pecking. If its more than that just drop out often until you get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

If that don't help him sons in trouble. Good luck SAMs son.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing about water .. If they need it m leave it .. If they are wet they won drink it anyway .. Don't be scared to see what they do with it , just be smart enough to learn from what you see .

Water won't make them too wet .. That's something else . If you aren't feeding crazy wet then it's you're cockhouse .. Concrete floor that sweats , garage with a water heater or appliance leaving condensation .. Your gonna have to get a humidity gauge and see where it's coming from ... Can't stop a boat from taking on water by sticking your finger in the drain plug if the water is falling from th sky

18. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    I never take water till day before t
    And if I see one drinking alot the last day I throw them out but I also keep moisture in the fly pen and stall litter in my opinion moisture that is absorbed through the body the less they will drink
    I agree... I don't limit water until a day before showtime...... if my bird keeps on drinking I take them out ....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the job of the feeder to take out any that want water. It's a test!

Post Thanks / Like

Now you have plenty of information about water.
    Now you need to get your last feeding right. The timing of your last feed and the amount. If your birds aren't empty you won't get them sharp and your moisture will not be right. Its after they are empty that they shed their excess moisture. The two go together.

Post Thanks / Like

Always take stuff with you to adjust moisture just like you have pecking food to hold them if they wet then drop more if they extremely wet orange peel will take it out but not too much it will dry them too much but keep in mind wet is better than too dry least you can cut wet

Post Thanks / Like

You all are very knowledgeable/experienced in this field.. I've written down all the information for next season and onward.. This is the first I've heard of drinking water isn't the case of them being to wet but I'll get a humidity gauge and watch out for other problem areas... Also as mentioned about getting my feed right, i do better the next day after the show is over in the back yard..The fowl seem perfect but I'm a day late.. Small white bubble is the goal then peck accordingly.. I appreciate everyone again for taking the time to share knowledge...

Post Thanks / Like

close to right

If they are doing better the day after Iíd say cut your feed a lil more and move your last feeding back a little. Or keep amount the same and move last feeding back 12 hours. No one can really give a sure answer without knowing how much and how close your feed to show. You can take info gathered and use as starting point but you will have to adjust.

Post Thanks / Like

How you rest em' is a big part of it ... the idea is to rest them and get them relaxed so that they aren't using any energy ... that's why you can taper the feed , they aren't as hungry . When that happens they won't be thirsty either ...

If you rest them and carb load or something ... but they aren't relaxing - then you will have them wound up and they will get hungry if you taper and thirsty ... so it's not just one thing , it's the combination -

Say a guy has stall with open fronts , plays a radio and the cocks in fly pens are crowing .... he might say that his don't like resting , carb loading don't help , etc ... he just feeds yard feed and gets em empty with a little rest so that's what he preaches . My stalls are dark , cockhouse insulated and a quarter mile from any other fowl or dogs .... so I can carb load , rest and no radio - they will be relaxed and you can get them emptier without them being hungry in that scenario.

Feeding starts with your set up and seeing what approach works .... and the good feeders are ready for any scenario based on the fowl's actions coming down the home stretch ... they watch em' , check droppings and understand there's variables . I never understood how come the keeps for sale always just have a one-way method that you are supposed to use when they don't know your place or fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

You said they do better the next day, tell me did you feed them when you got home? Second id disagree with some on here on american show. it IS better to be dry. You can add moisture easily but its much harder to get rid of it. Plus too wet and yep they fold way to fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Pasqually quapaw kid, very valuable information.. My last feeding is Friday morning for a Saturday show.. Ounce of crack corn 2table spoon of buttermilk, teaspoon of rice and a little honey ..day time show..

Post Thanks / Like

close to right

Last edited by Pasqually; July 18th, 2019 at 03:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

close to right

Quote Originally Posted by Son of sam View Post
    Pasqually quapaw kid, very valuable information.. My last feeding is Friday morning for a Saturday show.. Ounce of crack corn 2table spoon of buttermilk, teaspoon of rice and a little honey ..day time show..
    Thatís a loooot more than I feed. 24 hrs out 1/4 teaspoon dry. Iím sure some will say Iím crazy but it works for me. Cutting out them 2 tablespoons of butter milk and controlling humidity will help youa lot with your moisture problem.

Last edited by Pasqually; July 18th, 2019 at 03:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    You said they do better the next day, tell me did you feed them when you got home? Second id disagree with some on here on american show. it IS better to be dry. You can add moisture easily but its much harder to get rid of it. Plus too wet and yep they fold way to fast.
    I showed long heel and usually used 2 5/8 and from my experiences dry cant cut and I have a method that makes it easy for me to get rid of excessive moisture .I could add moisture to a dry cock but I try to have them right but if not I would rather take moisture out

Post Thanks / Like

close to right

I find it easier to take moisture out than add moisture. When they are close to empty and dry if you let them drink, next time you drop they will pass water. Then they are dry again, they donít seem to absorb the moisture. The best Iíve found to put moisture quickly is I take a small piece of bread about the size of my thumbnail. Dip it in beer and let them eat it, donít know why but they seem to absorb the moisture better this way. But still not as good as if I had to dry them up a little. If they are not perfect from start, I have better luck getting them there if they are to wet over being to dry. Just how it is for me maybe others do things different.

Last edited by Pasqually; July 18th, 2019 at 05:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

All this to dry to wet bs gets confusing. Get them in shape healthy and happy. Don't take water away except while in keep stall. Give water after every feeding if they go to guzzling put them back on cords. Dark them out so they rest and adjust your feed until they drop out right. Get this out of the way before you put up a show for real. Just do practice runs until your happy with the results. It's the wrong sport for trial and error on gameday.
    Last edited by Hoghunter; July 18th, 2019 at 06:52 AM.