Thread: Stag not feeding normally

Stag not feeding normally

Whats up guys I have 7 Roundhead/Sweater cross stags from chandler farms that are exactly 5 months old they are looking fantastic. I have already switched them to regular yard feed which i get at a local mom and pops store and i always make sure to get the freshest bag, (This is it i couldnt find it anywhere else online http://coastalhardwarems.com/gamebirdseed/ ). I have 1 on a tie cord and 1 in a 4' round pen, the others are in 4' square pens. When i go to feed all are jumping and racing back and forth to get fed besides the one in the round pen. He doesnt seem to take intrest in the feed and looks lighter than the rest although he still looks good. While the rest are feesting hes just there not doing anything, kinda looks depressed. But when i give him something other than the regular feed i use such as a piece of bread he goes right at it and eats it all on the spot. Should i try a different feed or maybe deworm him? or maybe sticking a hen in there with him? Im asking since anything new i try would have to be ordered online since i dont have much options to choose from where i live.

PS: these are the fastest maturing birds ive ever had. They started crowing the earliest ive ever seen and there combs already look full grown.
    Last edited by Mach 1 Padilla; August 15th, 2019 at 01:01 AM.

Re: Stag not feeding normally

i'd probably worm it first after that if it didn't act better i'd cull it. i just don't see a need to keep one that's already behind compared to the other 6 that you do have. if he's leaving feed and not cleaning up it's only going to be more problems down the road with moldy feed, rodents you name it. sometimes it's just better to cut the losses on one and keep the ones that are healthy and active compared to one that'll probably never make much of a rooster

Had one like that gave him to a freind turned out he was the best in the bunch but if I had another act like that I would still get rid of him

Worms don't do the damage folks think they do ... if you got a hot blooded stag on the edge of the yard or in a round pen and he's just not digging it then move him . Treats will backfire on you .. make him eat the yard feed .

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1 Padilla View Post
    Whats up guys I have 7 Roundhead/Sweater cross stags from chandler farms that are exactly 5 months old they are looking fantastic. I have already switched them to regular yard feed which i get at a local mom and pops store and i always make sure to get the freshest bag, (This is it i couldnt find it anywhere else online http://coastalhardwarems.com/gamebirdseed/ ). I have 1 on a tie cord and 1 in a 4' round pen, the others are in 4' square pens. When i go to feed all are jumping and racing back and forth to get fed besides the one in the round pen. He doesnt seem to take intrest in the feed and looks lighter than the rest although he still looks good. While the rest are feesting hes just there not doing anything, kinda looks depressed. But when i give him something other than the regular feed i use such as a piece of bread he goes right at it and eats it all on the spot. Should i try a different feed or maybe deworm him? or maybe sticking a hen in there with him? Im asking since anything new i try would have to be ordered online since i dont have much options to choose from where i live.

PS: these are the fastest maturing birds ive ever had. They started crowing the earliest ive ever seen and there combs already look full grown.
    Cull him. Why mess with a sickly one when u got others who act right.
    I dont care if he turns out to be a an Ace. When your sickly ace meets another healthy his whole life ace. What do u thinks going to happen?

Some families throw stags that dry up on the bone and no worming or medicine helps .... i don't mind culling them , but I'm more bothered about why they are that way and it's hard for me to trust the brothers as well ... I cn't help but think they got the same thing too and maybe don't show it but I always think the steel is gonna bring it to light.

You mentioned they are 5months old which they still young and you switched their food, what was you feeding before the regular feed? I have some stags the same age and they all eat good some more than others but I feed them some quick grow when chicks and as they grow I mix quick grow with ground up feed and add some oat groats and red wheat, in the summer I do the same just wet the feed a lil bit add a cap or 2 of some red cell and mix, all my fowl love it!! Sometimes I'll even soak some ol dog chow and mix it in once or twice a week during summer.. Stags are in the developing stage at that age and some will feel like bones but they are just growing into they bodies, if your stag is not sick acting but instead still active do not worry feed him a small portion and watch him eat, he will eat just keep an eye on him? If a stags acting lethargic on my yard he's gone, just watch your stags close, you'll get to know them a lil better..

You might also want to look at stags droppings make sure it's not an intestinal issue, coccidiosis is hard an fowl that age..

How long have they been penned? I use a different yard feed ( cracked corn in the yard feed as opposed to whole corn in my maintenance feed). Sometimes my freshly penned stags won't eat the maintenance feed for a few weeks because they aren't used to it. After a while they will start eating it. If you just penned them I would give the stag time to come around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1 Padilla View Post

. First thing you do is pick him up. If his breast feels like a hatchet give him one. He’s useless at that point....Check his craw he may be plugged up. And while your at it make sure and check his rear for mites....if he’s set up with those hatchet time again. And go immediately in the house put the clothes in the washer and take a shower to get any mites off you.... welcome to the world of gamefowl friend