Thread: Bittersweet week

Post Thanks / Like

Bittersweet week

Thursday it came down the pipe, and by Friday it was a done deal. After having fowl since the seventies my paw paw and uncle are really getting out, and in a hurry. There older and health has become such an issue that caring for over 300 birds is not a possibility. I sat at the barrel with my paw paw yesterday and talked about all the good times both teared up a bit watching the youngins peak around our feet. I was worried that there was noway I would be able to take on all the birds and that I could end up having to load my family legacy into another mans truck.
    But I got some good buddies and partners that I found out were family. I called em told em what was up and they rallied right then. Not maybe or I dont know will c. It was alright be there in twenty. One going to house all the corded birds, and the other clearing a bigger spot, and fencing it in so I can hold all brood stock and babies here at my house. We did alot of tractor work yesterday and I'm back up this am hoping the rain stops so I can do some more.

I am nervously excited, but also saddened by it all. Been waiting a long time for a chance to pick all the brood pens and raise em up, but I am going to miss so dearly those mornings around the burn barrel with my paw paw and uncle. Me and my uncle have always had a weird relationship we just talk chet to each other all the time, and my paw paw just laughs. That may be my favorite part about the game. Now I just hope I can continue to get better and maybe in two or three yrs when I have my first cocks raised up I can make em proud, and they can still atleast come see them.

I am glad we got this site some of the threads on here have already helped me a ton, as well as quite a few of all yall active members. I really appreciate it. Chet crazy and happened like you turned on a light switch. Wish me luck and say one for my uncle if you dont mind. Pictures coming soon from Jakehill to the ZŁ....

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jake hill farm; August 25th, 2019 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bittersweet week

Good luck moving forward jake you will do just fine you was raised by good chicken men so you know more than you realize

3. Thanks Jake hill farm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if your birds look as good as the one on your avatar. Id say you will do quite well.

5. Thanks Jake hill farm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck in your new venture.. Prayers for your Uncle and Grandfather...

7. Thanks Jake hill farm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Praying for your uncle and paw paw and you too. I had a young man Jose come visit me this morning. He was telling me about his father. He has cancer and mostly lays around in pain, but says he gets up and feeds his fowl every day. He said he thinks that is the only thing keeps him going. I told him my dad was much the same even when he didn't want to get up he would until he just could no longer do it. I wish you and your friends well. God bless!

9. Thanks roostercm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Praying for your uncle and paw paw and you too. I had a young man Jose come visit me this morning. He was telling me about his father. He has cancer and mostly lays around in pain, but says he gets up and feeds his fowl every day. He said he thinks that is the only thing keeps him going. I told him my dad was much the same even when he didn't want to get up he would until he just could no longer do it. I wish you and your friends well. God bless!
    Thanks yeah cancer will stop anyone dead in their tracks. And the pain and agony of fighting it seems to be as bad as the disease itself. Most all the men I looked up to in this sport growing up seem to be all hanging it up here lately due to some ailment. Cancer being the number one reason heart or body falling apart seem to be the rest. Saddest part is they all worked so hard to retire and enjoy the birds and freedom and by the time they get their they are to wore out or sick to really enjoy it. I just hope and pray mine can make it to see there birds bring home some ribbons.

11. Likes LaBlue, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck ....true friends r a rarity, best 2 u & ur family

Post Thanks / Like

Glad u had good friends in your corner to secure the legacy Jake! Maybe now you'll be able to raise some oddball breeds now that u have the reigns but imma say paw paw & ole unc will still kick that a$$ if you do lmao!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby13 View Post
    Glad u had good friends in your corner to secure the legacy Jake! Maybe now you'll be able to raise some oddball breeds now that u have the reigns but imma say paw paw & ole unc will still kick that a$$ if you do lmao!
    The a$$ whoopin has already been threatened by my uncle but my grandfather straitened him out and said that are mine now and that if I wanted to try something to go ahead but better keep the pure stuff coming every season. Which I already knew I was going to have to now. All the pure pens will keep from to much experimenting, but ugh they still be some mug put in 5he bates and the greys. But besides that it will be the same as them just with a little more attention payed on cocks and hens to be breed. Gone do a good amount of culling older cocks the blinkers and such. And gone try a pen or three on some three way crosses.

15. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard that and good luck in all your future endeavors. What happened to ya the other weekend? Was u not able to make it back up my way? Maybe we can get together next time

Post Thanks / Like

Headed back to Knoxville this am should be able to come through this time. Last time had to much going on to slip off

Post Thanks / Like

Before [/SIZE]
    Buddies where cords are going before

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you gonna have your hands full. Good luck. Hard work always makes you more lucky.

20. Thanks Jake hill farm thanked for this post
    Likes Jake hill farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got alot done this weekend. Got rest of this week to get rest done...

Got twenty cocks moved today rest tom then rack burn put up fence and brood to mine by weekend.
    Last edited by Jake hill farm; September 2nd, 2019 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you All the Best Jake Hill, keep your head up. I do like what your Yard looks like. Very nice open space, plenty of room and shade. God Bless

Post Thanks / Like

Been a few hard working weeks but starting this evening I will be moving birds to my yard. Thanks again birdslayer for molly she is fitting in great.

My youngest major tried to squeeze through and got stuck...

24. Likes matt59 liked this post