Thread: Most well rounded birds....

Post Thanks / Like

Most well rounded birds....

When legal, what were the most well rounded birds you ever seen show? A show of birds that impressed you and blew you away. How were they bred?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most well rounded birds....

Buddy from nc charlie had some Murphy's and it didnt matter if they were straight or crossed they were great fowl ability cut bottom end power and you had to kill every feather on them twice to whip em

3. Likes joletole, Hoghunter, Jul214 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some shows that come to mind are some claret/full crosses Howard Belk would show on the 90s . Seen Billy Ruble turn loose a show of hatch/muffs that could do it all. Larry Cook and those Penny's could fight. Great memories.

5. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to beat a good Hatch/Grey, Hatch/Black, or Black/Grey cross....those crosses go together like PB & J, and if you want me to narrow it down to a show that blew everyone away....Sammy Ramsey with their Hatch/Greys

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CajunDevil; September 12th, 2019 at 07:59 AM.

7. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mid 80’s to early 90’s. “Cotton” Delaney’s lieper/hulsey. Did not matter what they were up against.

9. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mentors Hatch/Claret & Hatch/Claret/Roundhead crosses was mighty tuff.

11. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the winningest fowl I seen was a blue family. Everyone of them cut and had same style. Their down fall was not a lot of bottom and pit game at best. But what amazed me was the consistency with the cut and style. It was very detailed.

13. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mentors spangle hatch/ Kelso crosses. It didn't matter what style was turned loose on them. They could do it all better. The pure Kelso’s were almost the same as the crosses, just less vigor.

15. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott house yellow legged hatch my grand dad had when I was a kid. They take a show if them and a show a bates and win the derby 10 11 times a year every year. Theyd win alot round the house butches piedmont rodeo and greyhill. Then take some to pumkin valley clear creek and places like that and win there too. I wish I could have those ylh again.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

17. Likes KevinG, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the Ramsey's showed about as consistent as any I've witnessed. But I've witnessed many many more of my own fowl win straight fights just devistating the other cock in just one pitting. But then I'm a tad bit byes.

19. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Webb from Tennessee hatch and greys...as good as chickens as you'll see in the spur, and I'll promise u that...this ain't no I heard somebody tell me blah blah blah crap I know lol...

Lucas

21. Likes Webby13, JLF2.0 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I guess the Ramsey's showed about as consistent as any I've witnessed. But I've witnessed many many more of my own fowl win straight fights just devistating the other cock in just one pitting. But then I'm a tad bit byes.
    They did win very consistently. I got to see them too. A friend from California met them and whipped them with birds we’ve met before and did good against, so it put the Ramseys into perspective for me.
    I doubt we could of won in Sunset though. That humidity was hell.
    I dont recall seeing your mugs there. Sunset was reds and a whole lot of greys mostly. Though, we only went the last couple years of Sunset being open in March.
    I sure miss hanging out with the Easterlings, good people, and shrimp with dirty rice.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; September 12th, 2019 at 09:34 PM.

23. Likes LaBlue, Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing about the Ramseys is they were very very consistent in some of the toughest competition in the country not in 3 and 4 cocks against Weekend warriors . Thts the difference with them. I grew up at that pit in sunset and got to witness them in there prime and they were a force to b reconned with at that time. I’m sure they were plenty other guys taht ive never got to see show in other parts of the country that very very consistent and tough also but from what I’ve seen with my own eyes I’d have to say the Ramseys Hatch /greys in the spur .
    Last edited by Steel city farm; September 12th, 2019 at 10:56 PM.

25. Likes KevinG, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    The thing about the Ramseys is they were very very consistent in some of the toughest competition in the country not in 3 and 4 cocks against Weekend warriors . Thts the difference with them. I grew up at that pit in sunset and got to witness them in there prime and they were a force to b reconned with at that time. I’m sure they were plenty other guys taht ive never got to see show in other parts of the country that very very consistent and tough also but from what I’ve seen with my own eyes I’d have to say the Ramseys Hatch /greys in the spur .
    Why do you think they didn't do as well against week end warriors? I have an Idea why.

27. Likes Liberty Hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The best consistently winning fowl. I have ever seen is The Bill Bumgardner Lemon Hackle Blueface.

29. Likes KevinG, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasnt just sunset seen them win alot of places also seen him get his butt whipped like everybody else.the greys was just plain ol spur roosters and good at it

31. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, gaff, lawgreyman14, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My good friend Ray Westall told me one time that when you went to a derby that Sammy was entered in that the best you could hope for was to split the derby with him. That's coming from a man that had some pretty damn good roosters too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

33. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes gapman, KevinG, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    They did win very consistently. I got to see them too. A friend from California met them and whipped them with birds we’ve met before and did good against, so it put the Ramseys into perspective for me.
    I doubt we could of won in Sunset though. That humidity was hell.
    I dont recall seeing your mugs there. Sunset was reds and a whole lot of greys mostly. Though, we only went the last couple years of Sunset being open in March.
    I sure miss hanging out with the Easterlings, good people, and shrimp with dirty rice.
    yea Goose I didn't fight a lot there usually one trip a year as my pockets weren't very deep. I think I fought ten days maybe eight. Usually fight all three days when I went. Never had a day I lost more than I won. Went 3-1 a couple times in 8 cocks. And 4-1 a couple times in 10 cocks. My very first trip I went 7-3 in a 10 cock. I whooped Harold Brown and Mill Creek. A Dr. Chandler from Kentucy or Tennessse twice. Once each day. Both entries won 2cd money. They split 70/30 on the money. The handler and feeder for Dr. Chandler told me they would have won it all if it wasn't for me. Oak grove win it 9-1 and they whooped the only cock I brought that wasn't a multi time winner. He sparred very good but got killed first pitting. Oh my wife loved that shrimp and dirty rice at th pit. The people were great there. We had the best time with Jerry Wallace and his crew. Me and Ernie played and sung with Johnny Jumper at our cock house after one derby. Memories I'll never forget.

35. Likes flyer34, MONGOOSE, KevinG, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not taking away from anyone but when your able to enter 3 entries per derby, sure helps your chances of getting in the money. Jmo

37. Likes gapman, KevinG, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moseley View Post
    Not taking away from anyone but when your able to enter 3 entries per derby, sure helps your chances of getting in the money. Jmo
    No doubt like the lottery more u put in better chance you got it paying off. Two entrys from one farm is fine with me, but some will bring 4 or five shows and spilt up two or three per entry. Hardly ever do they match there own but when they do strange how the winning show always wins....

When legal i was never allowed more than 7 to put up lol. So I would pick out my perceived best in the four and the other 3 in a option entry. Lol was a few times I'd go strait option and loose my third ir fourth in the 4 cock. Paw paw called it the curse of the three cock. After a time or two he told my uncle to let me get atleast 8 so I could put in 2 shows.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

39. Likes lawgreyman14, roostercm, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You got some memories coming flooding in for me. I will name a few shows that have stood out to me over the years. Not saying the bloodlines because I have seen so many good families it would be hard to narrow those down plus even the best families have good days and bad days. First that comes to mind is Oscar Akins showed a full entry of spangle roosters at Mid America that was about as good of breaking roosters that I have ever seen. Next was Prater fought a show of brown reds at Red Arrow that was almost unbeatable. They was so good my dad tried to buy one but he turned down a thousand dollars for one which was a lot of money back then. We followed him around for over a year and never saw him fight another show like those. He always fought brown reds but they didn't look or fight like the ones he fought that weekend. Heard lots of stories about he had just fed that entry and bought trios from 3 different guys that claimed they was theirs but never did find them. Next was Dee Cox. He fought some little small roosters one weekend at Red Arrow that was tremendous. Looked like roundheads with the small round bodies and tight feathers but was green legged. For the people that know me you know they had to be special for me to remember all these years because I never have liked green leg roosters. Dee also fought a show of greys one year in World Championship at Bayou Club that were really spectacular. Old lucky they called him fought some Brown Reds one time at Red Arrow that was as good as I have seen but lost every one of them. They would knock a rooster down then never peck again. I remember him and Ernest got to hacking after the derby for large money and Ernest ended up sending him home pockets empty and got his jewelry to boot. Hubert Ward put on a show just about every time he came which I guess is why they call him Showtime. lol Larry Carter put on a really good show one year at the Hawaiian at Texhoma. Lots of really good memories of some tremendous roosters that everything went right that particular weekend and everything came together. Many more but I have typed enough for now. Sure feel sorry for guys that wasn't around yet or wasn't able to attend some of those great events and see legendary performances.

Post Thanks / Like

May not agree but they are alot of good roosters with alots of different farms that are really good but when they are a derby with a 100 or 200 entries an they are all there like prater showtime oscar sammy muletrain Dee cox I could go on and on it's who had the rooster the best that derby same 2 entries meet next time other entry wins same roosters it's getting to were every body has good weapons and roosters who is the healthiest and sharpest that day

42. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes Sig1911, lawgreyman14, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you take sammy percentage on the total wasnt that good but when you go to the pay window it dont matter much.that decamp memorial at delrio and the breeders cup at sunset was always good ones.dang miss those days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gapman View Post
    May not agree but they are alot of good roosters with alots of different farms that are really good but when they are a derby with a 100 or 200 entries an they are all there like prater showtime oscar sammy muletrain Dee cox I could go on and on it's who had the rooster the best that derby same 2 entries meet next time other entry wins same roosters it's getting to were every body has good weapons and roosters who is the healthiest and sharpest that day
    My first post said pretty much the same thing. There is no best. But there is defiantly the best on a given day.

45. Likes lawgreyman14, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

People forget or don’t understand that certain “styles”, just got your number.

47. Likes KevinG, Liberty Hill liked this post