Thread: Information on Wello Gutierrez

Post Thanks / Like

Information on Wello Gutierrez

Howdy everyone,

This morning I stumbled upon this forum while looking for information on my grandfather Aurelio “Wello” Gutierrez. He sadly passed away when I was not too old and I have very few memories of him so when I saw several posts talking about him and his roosters I was rather surprised. In a few of the older posts there seemed to be some forum members who knew my grandfather quite well and I was hoping there were still some on here who could perhaps share some stories about him?
    I look forward to reading any information or anecdotes any of y'all may have.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Information on Wello Gutierrez

Many people knew him. He wasn’t a “friend” but I met him a few times. I got a dark hatch cock and a hen that had black hackles from him with the W marking (4 Webber) and Wello wingband. Of course I was too young to handle those high strung birds and ruined them. He sure knew how to breed them.

Post Thanks / Like

I met him at a farm in Batesville, Texas. I was visiting there and Mr. Gutierrez was there. That’s how I ended up with that pair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brushcountry View Post
    I met him at a farm in Batesville, Texas. I was visiting there and Mr. Gutierrez was there. That’s how I ended up with that pair.
    Very cool, thank you for your response.

5. Likes BILLABONG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew your grandpa well. He was like his bloodline GAME! He is a legend to those who truly know gamefowl. During the summer, I use to stay at your grandpa’s for weeks at a time. Being that I am an educator, I’d ask him many questions about gamefowl families, breeders, etc... He shared how he created the famous Wello Hatch strain that dominated Mexico pits for decades. He taught me his keep, and gave me many pullets and stags. However, the biggest gift Wello taught me was to be humble, and it was not by words but by actions. Towards the end of one of my stays, he must have gotten tired of all my questions. He walked me over to a storage shed and said, “Pull out that photo album.” “Recognize the place?” I said, “Yes, but the oak trees on either side of what now holds your outside swing were little.” He said, “ Do you know who this is?” I said, looks like a young Oscar Akins... He kept showing me different cockers standing between those same two oaks, to include Billy Ruble, Harold Brown, Ray Hoskins, Duke Hulsey, and many more. He said to me,“They all came thru here...” I never had the want or need to ask about breeds or breeders again, I was fortunate enough to have stumbled upon greatness!

7. Likes Brushcountry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nosenada View Post
    I knew your grandpa well. He was like his bloodline GAME! He is a legend to those who truly know gamefowl. During the summer, I use to stay at your grandpa’s for weeks at a time. Being that I am an educator, I’d ask him many questions about gamefowl families, breeders, etc... He shared how he created the famous Wello Hatch strain that dominated Mexico pits for decades. He taught me his keep, and gave me many pullets and stags. However, the biggest gift Wello taught me was to be humble, and it was not by words but by actions. Towards the end of one of my stays, he must have gotten tired of all my questions. He walked me over to a storage shed and said, “Pull out that photo album.” “Recognize the place?” I said, “Yes, but the oak trees on either side of what now holds your outside swing were little.” He said, “ Do you know who this is?” I said, looks like a young Oscar Akins... He kept showing me different cockers standing between those same two oaks, to include Billy Ruble, Harold Brown, Ray Hoskins, Duke Hulsey, and many more. He said to me,“They all came thru here...” I never had the want or need to ask about breeds or breeders again, I was fortunate enough to have stumbled upon greatness!
    Best story I’ve read in a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brushcountry View Post
    Do you have the wello grey

Post Thanks / Like

No, I never had any. I’ve seen some good ones though. Best source would probably be his son or daughter. I don’t know their names anymore. They were always at the pits 20 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for late response rarely have time to visit site. The Late Johnny Jumper mentions Wello in a Pie de Cría Blog March 2005 no102. Where he states that Wello convinced Lily (wealthy Mexican cocker) to purchase Jumper chickens even though Jumper had not won the derby. (this happened in Mississippi back in the 60’s. Without Wello’s intro Jumper might not have been who Jumper became in Mexico. Wello didn’t have any trophies in his house just two etched mirror plaques one read Sunset 1950 and the other Sunset 1953, they had a rooster etching. This was an invitation only tournament extended to top breeders only. Wello won this tournament twice. The other only item that he had up on the wall was his WW2 Navy picture and on a mantle a black and white picture of a young Duke Hulsey and Maurice Coyne ( might not have correct spelling) I have twelve of his thirteen bloodlines. The only one that escaped me was his Butcher Bloodline, gifted to Wello by Red Richardson himself, along with the Greys and Hatch. I breed for me, for hobby and friends. Don’t advertise, don’t sell. You will find that most folks with Wello’s bloodline do the same. Hope you enjoyed this “story” as well.

12. Likes Brushcountry liked this post