Thread: Non crossing

Post Thanks / Like

Non crossing

I have a possum sweater stag 14 months that I want to cross with a kelso but for some reason she didnít lay no eggs this past whole season both have chicks what can it be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non crossing

What are you feeding, Javier?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    What are you feeding, Javier?
    Well I make a mix of high 27 %protien and some don roberto is for conditioning I have had other chickens and pullets laying 8-10 eggs but not these two

Post Thanks / Like

That's sure more than enough protein. Must be something else. But that level of protein seems too high for all the time. If she's on that all the time, you might try lowering the protein to 16-18% when trying to get her to lay.

5. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's sure more than enough protein. Must be something else. But that level of protein seems too high for all the time. If she's on that all the time, you might try lowering the protein to 16-18% when trying to get her to lay.
    Ok thanks 👍🏼

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe feed her laying pellets, dont breed her again in the same coop, if possible breed her in a bigger one, make sure her nest is secluded and not easily visible. Hens are funny, they sometimes change their ways from one season to the next. Prime her before with vitamins and make sure she isnt too fat. Ive had some that hadnt laid yet despite all that so I'd add a touch of crushed red pepper to their water. I do have lights but not all have them, the issue at times lied with the ones that werent in lights. With lights, its pretty much automatic. My window is short, we try to get them hatched by March, April the latest so thats what I do if they are being difficult.
    Best wishes
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Maybe feed her laying pellets, dont breed her again in the same coop, if possible breed her in a bigger one, make sure her nest is secluded and not easily visible. Hens are funny, they sometimes change their ways from one season to the next. Prime her before with vitamins and make sure she isnt too fat. Ive had some that hadnt laid yet despite all that so I'd add a touch of crushed red pepper to their water. I do have lights but not all have them, the issue at times lied with the ones that werent in lights. With lights, its pretty much automatic. My window is short, we try to get them hatched by March, April the latest so thats what I do if they are being difficult.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Thank Iíll try and use your advice

9. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Javiercastillo View Post
    Thank I’ll try and use your advice

Welcomed. They do need some calcium also so make sure that its in their diet (laying pellets) and that they are free of worms. Reason I said bigger is because she may not have liked her pen and it stressed her out.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 12th, 2019 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My niece had some layers that wouldnt lay and they were gonna get rid of them . I went over and the water jug they had was running dry every day ... Told em to put another jug in and two days later the eggs started.

Eating eggs or stress is the only other thing .... Animal husbandry issues are usually pretty basic

Post Thanks / Like

If you didn't get any eggs the whole season, you have a problem I'd think. The two may be eating the eggs as soon as layed or I'd say she has been injured and her egg track is messed up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    If you didn't get any eggs the whole season, you have a problem I'd think. The two may be eating the eggs as soon as layed or I'd say she has been injured and her egg track is messed up.
    She layed like one each week but not like to get chicks out of her I donít have a incubator

Post Thanks / Like

She layed like one each week but not like to get chicks out of her I donít have a incubator

I changed the stag to a roundhead and a month later 7chicks Rh/kelso and I took the sweater to a YLH pullet and gave me 8 sweater/YLHso I donít know why I canít get none out of these two I just want

Post Thanks / Like

I changed the stag to a roundhead and a month later 7chicks Rh/kelso and I took the sweater to a YLH pullet and gave me 8 sweater/YLHso I donít know why I canít get none out of these two

Post Thanks / Like

Does she stay on the roost with the first stag in the pen ?

Post Thanks / Like

It could be stress. Her and that bc just don't get along. If you have to have that mating try just letting him top her then pull him out of the pen. Every couple of days should be okay.
    As QK said water should never run out. I have one hen that likes to spill her water bowl. If she manages it she quits laying for 2 to 3 days. I let her do this just to see what happened and if she was out of water for just one hour she would not lay for two days. Some of the time I would get an egg the next day then skip two days. I guess it depends on how developed the egg was that was next in line. Good luck with the breeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Some matings dont come as easy, you have to really earn it hence my post. You may not know why but you should take steps to ensure youve covered all areas. They can obviously produce with others, but at times when we pair up a new mating they turn out to be a true pain in the A.... for some reason.
    If you've single mated enough, 7 out 10 breeders will have encountered this issue so you arent alone. The comment above is something to consider. If she sleeps alone, itll take her longer to start laying. I had a hen like that, had to get her down from the roost to eat and thats where the stag would top her. She acted like a virgin around him lol, hard to get and the dag gone hen had hatched 4 or 5 batches before that, she knew the drill and Id never ever had an issue with her beforem. In fact this hen usually gave me 2 batches a season before running into this b.s. It was something about the stag but eventually she had to lay. Keep at it, and dont forget the pepper
    Another thing is if you changed the stag and got chics a month later, some very well could be from the previous stag. Also keeping them apart for quite some time especially through the molt should be done, they need time apart.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 12th, 2019 at 11:28 PM.

19. Likes LaBlue, Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what it is about the red pepper but it will make a hen lay and a cocks ass get red. Been using it 50 years.

21. Likes KevinG, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Del, do you feed the pepper in the water like KevinG said or dry? How much do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Del, do you feed the pepper in the water like KevinG said or dry? How much do you use?
    no I feed it to my hens in a wet mash. I feed it in my keep every evening I just season my boiled grated eggs very spicy before I add my dry feed. A level tsp. Yo a half gallon of wet mash.

24. Thanks avalos1991, Mossy Dell thanked for this post
    Likes chester liked this post