Thread: Gavilan Hatch

Post Thanks / Like

Gavilan Hatch

Anybody have these fowl, pro's or con's?
    Just looking for a little info.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gavilan Hatch

They come like most good and bad. We had a joke of some that a local got. We called em travelin Gavlins. But I've seen some great ones also.

3. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

NAME is just a NAME. Pay more attention to the fact that they are WINNING TODAY.
    DONT get caught up in OLD, OLD, OLD names.
    They mean nothing TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother had some. We also called em travelin gavelins. Long legged tall dark red hatch roosters. Very fast. First few pittings could win fast. Some were very game, enough weren’t to get rid of them. Was all in gaff back then. Won his first derby at rooster arena in Ky with them. Never fought knife but would have probably done as well as any in it. Good times but still we joke about his travelin Gavelin years

6. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The ones my uncle got from buck threw so many feet it was ridicules if you were in the second pitting with them you were in trouble but they were terrible man fighters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    NAME is just a NAME. Pay more attention to the fact that they are WINNING TODAY.
    DONT get caught up in OLD, OLD, OLD names.
    They mean nothing TODAY.
    Not caught up in old names it's just what a guy called them. I'm pretty new to this so i'm just asking.
    So they are winning today? I was at a guy's farm that had some and they did seem to be aggressive towards ya.
    Thanks, Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I can't blame you for inquiring about the ole Gavilan, a.k.a Hawk.
    Just thinking, If you could get the ones the old man had back then you'd be happy with them but that time was decades ago. Im not gonna be so bold as to say nobody has kept them like Buck had them but I'd bet if some have, there aren't many at all. There were plenty of Gavilanes around this area, did very good up to a certain time. I had a friend who loved them, aggressive was not an issue given how well they did. Nowadays, I have no clue about them but they sure had their place in the sun.
    Best wishes
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. The guy that has some said he's had them since 89' I believe.

11. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie W used to have some solid Gavilans and Doc Hatch. Them ol Gavilans he had were rugged.....

13. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone post a pic for me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE-RITE View Post
    Charlie W used to have some solid Gavilans and Doc Hatch. Them ol Gavilans he had were rugged.....
    Rugged is an understatement huh lol. Those sobs were a force in their time.
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munderf View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The guy that has some said he's had them since 89' I believe.
    Be worth a shot for sure. Try em out, thats all you can do. Everything to gain if he has kept em like they were.
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

I had gavilan blood and crossed them with some bad gavilans that were local and ruined my line. Anyways my redfox hatch died and a friend in New Mexico said he would gift me a strait combed gavilan hatch. Mine were all pea combed. Any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjapsil View Post
    I had gavilan blood and crossed them with some bad gavilans that were local and ruined my line. Anyways my redfox hatch died and a friend in New Mexico said he would gift me a strait combed gavilan hatch. Mine were all pea combed. Any opinions?
    I never had them, and not bc they werent worthy at all but therefore cant speak on the SC side if there was one. We had a Mclean line already that was exceptional for us. Im sure someone will have some input on a SC Gavilan. I did hear from the same guys that had the old Buck line that they got some later on and it wasnt the same at all. I dont like to cast shade on men, but thats what they told me. Where they got their new blood to infuse Im not certain of.
    Best wishes
    SF

19. Likes Claret man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    SF
    Yes a bit of a understatement lol. Charlie lived and loved those hatch.....I got a Gavilan hen she was PC the line he called Blacknecks. And I ended up with a Doc BC as well he was SC. Charlie got cancer but he’s over it now last I seen him at a show a couple years ago. Good guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    SF
    Yes a bit of a understatement lol. Charlie lived and loved those hatch.....I got a Gavilan hen she was PC the line he called Blacknecks. And I ended up with a Doc BC as well he was SC. Charlie got cancer but hes over it now last I seen him at a show a couple years ago. Good guy.

22. Likes Steel city farm, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure there's a version that's cold on purpose ... Hatch were never as game as Regular Grey or Whitehackle . They throw legs , hit hard and they will come back if you let them ... but there are 10-1 more Hatch families made with dead pile cocks than anything else . Yall never hear of a good Whitehackle or Regular Grey family made because one sulled up and played dead . Then to make it worse folks breed em' as their foundation ,lol

A local guy from a family of mean , giant dudes that all were killers and some pro boxers went and got them himself in 90' or 91' . They crossed them to the good WT Blueface and they were terrible bad dudes but one quit and I traded for em' . Big , dark and mean like most describe ... but colder than I was hoping . No way Stansell sold this Heath guy dunghills on purpose ..... Buck might has showed gamer ones , but he might have also had some not so game that folks didn't see .

24. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that worked for Buck Stansell. Him and Johnny are about the same age. He told me all the cocks Buck fought in derbies had killed at least one at home. He told me Johnny and him would go to trade days and buy dummy cocks for Bucks to kill. He's told me many stories of things Buck did. His fowl were a little mean toward man but back when were tested hard to be game and strong cutters. Johnny mostly sold but also competed a good bit.

26. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I have a friend that worked for Buck Stansell. Him and Johnny are about the same age. He told me all the cocks Buck fought in derbies had killed at least one at home. He told me Johnny and him would go to trade days and buy dummy cocks for Bucks to kill. He's told me many stories of things Buck did. His fowl were a little mean toward man but back when were tested hard to be game and strong cutters. Johnny mostly sold but also competed a good bit.
    Sounds like that was some damn good testing done at home Del, old school. I know you've also done similar to that in the past before they got the nod. Id say there was nothing back then like the test of cold steel before leaving your own place.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 18th, 2019 at 08:16 AM.

28. Likes avalos1991 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjapsil View Post
    The ones my uncle got from buck threw so many feet it was ridicules if you were in the second pitting with them you were in trouble but they were terrible man fighters
    My buddy got some from Buck as well. Totally agree threw feet and were fast as hell, but some man fighting SOBs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk