Thread: How does everyone prepare their fowl for upcoming breeding season?

Post Thanks / Like

How does everyone prepare their fowl for upcoming breeding season?

Just wondering how everyone prepares their hens and roosters for breeding season. Wormers, vitamins, antibiotics, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How does everyone prepare their fowl for upcoming breeding season?

Being em in a heated shed , breed in drop pens .. Run em through for all that and batril / corrid ,etc ..horse manure ..sprouted greens , boiled eggs , mackerel , hamburger ...

Post Thanks / Like

Worm them, debug them early. I dont like chemicals in there system when they start laying(2months), Oyster shell, grit, some boiled eggs, lay mash, red pepper. Lights up and on 2 months early. I have a incubator for the first 40+ eggs cause they usually dont set at first. The first eggs I find are the best and tend to produce bigger birds with superior health. Keep chicks dry at all times.

4. Likes LaBlue, mnthawaii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I make sure all hens have been without a rooster during the molt so when it comes time to breed, they are for sure clean. I spray for bugs and worm them good before I start breeding. During breeding season, I don't worm the hens. Worming them can stop them from laying for a while so I make sure they are wormed good before breeding season starts. If one goes broody, you can worm her then because she will be stopping laying then anyway. Other than that, I don't do much different for them. I follow a good vitamin and feed program all year so they don't need anything different there. The only thing I watch is the egg shells. If any start getting thin, I add some oyster shell to feed, but with the calcium added layer pellets available now, I haven't seen the need for that in a few years. I do have some solar powered lights on some brood pens if I am wanting to get some early hatch, but on most of them, I have just been letting them start laying naturally. I really don't need to start hatching before February here anyway.

6. Thanks avalos1991, Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All your fowl should be in the pink of health all year. Brood pens should of been cleaned and disinfected, soil limed and turned in and grass planted by mid summer. Any repairs needed should have been done. All that should need to be done is trim feathers from brood hens and cocks and mate up your pens.

8. Likes Steel city farm, Sig1911, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I make sure brood cocks are not fat. I trim vent feathers for cock and hen. I deworm them and delouse them. I add oyster shell. I Lyme all pens. I bleach all nest boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

I like throwing my roosters through a short keep to get the fat off them and in shape especially if he has multiple hens but that’s pjust me b-12 dewormer and powder them for bugs is my basic

11. Likes BostonMurphy, LaBlue, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All great things, and I use to do almost all but not so much any more. I'm tired and worked hard all day. I get a lit done on the week ends but just never enough. As tylerjapsil said I used to put my brood cocks through a keep. Haven't done that in 10-12 years. I like to let my hens free range for a month or two but I've had bad problems with fox lately.

13. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjapsil View Post
    I like throwing my roosters through a short keep to get the fat off them and in shape especially if he has multiple hens but that’s pjust me b-12 dewormer and powder them for bugs is my basic
    Thats cool. I dont do a keep but Ill run them through the fly pen while they finish up the molt and a little beyond, get em moving and more active.

The hens I feed them all I can from honey buns, bread, boiled eggs, watermelon to flour tortillas during the summer heat and molt, Ill do this till about October and then Ill cut it off and down on the daily feed. When I make spaghetti Ill boil more noodles than I need, theyll get that also lol.
    The young progeny from the spring get all this as well.

The hens are by themselves for about 5 to 6 months Id say. Some I will let loose and take the risk, some I wont even think about it but I wish I could. Those that I let loose will be caged back with 2 months of time at least before I put a cock with her.

Ive seen Norland Blount do the same, he will bring in all kinds of sweets from a plant, truck bed full and probably expired. They love it and I wish I cld get it like that by the load! I know some others on here do the same. Run vitamins and electros in their water, itll help alot. Electros and PouItry Cell from TSC work just fine. If you have solid stock, dont need anything more than that. I hardly ever worm here, dont have to but If you are do it beforehand.

To be honest, its a process that begins with the hen as soon as she is done with her mama duties, gettin ready for the next time. I put in just as much time, attention and care on them as I do the cocks.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; November 6th, 2019 at 09:11 AM.

15. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you are pressed for time you can give her crushed red pepper in her water. This will activate heat within her core and kill sperm that is active within her. 5 days of leaving it in there is enough, just a good sprinkle of it one time. Id still give it about a month though, 4 weeks to clean out. Disclaimer is I cant guarantee it 100 percent of the time but it has worked.
    SF