Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fowl pox

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fowl pox

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sanchez View Post
    Wow some of the replies on this Simple Topic.. Living where I live in Florida, If you don't vaccinate for Pox the Loses will be great from it.. Do the research guys, Poultry do not build Immunity to Fowl Pox, unless they get it and recover from it.. Its not like you can breed it out of a Flock... Being I only raise a handful of Chicks each other , I can not afford to lose any to something that is so easy to avoid.. To each their own.. Have a good night guys..
    If someone has been in this sport any amount of time they should know that fowl dont build up immunity to fowl pox. Fowl poc is caused by mesquitos and i said in a earlier post that a very good preventive for fowl pox if u dont vaccinate is trying toncontrol the mesquito population on yiur farm . The fact about the immunity i was talking about was with all the othwr diseases people vaccinate for and not fowl pox. I live in the deep south also ans right on the gulf of mexico and our mesquito priblem is jyst as bad and i still dont vaccinate . If i ever do gwt one come down with it i usually catch it way before it will get out of hand ans get bad and i treat it very early . To each there own on vaccinating. I choose not to
    Last edited by Steel city farm; November 8th, 2019 at 08:02 PM.

2. Likes KAHUNA NO KA OI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    If someone has been in this sport any amount of time they should know that fowl dont build up immunity to fowl pox. Fowl poc is caused by mesquitos and i said in a earlier post that a very good preventive for fowl pox if u dont vaccinate is trying toncontrol the mesquito population on yiur farm . The fact about the immunity i was talking about was with all the othwr diseases people vaccinate for . I live in the deep south also ans right on the gulf of mexico and our mesquito priblem is jyst as bad and i still dont vaccinate . If i ever do gwt one come down with it i usually catch it way before it will get out of hand ans get bad and i treat it very early . To each there own on vaccinating. I choose not to
    Fowl pox is the only thing I vaccinate for on my yard.. I don't run. Pet clinic.. I don't get sick birds very often.. Thanks for your input. Have a good weekend..

4. Likes Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fowl pox is caused by an avian DNA pox virus. There are five or six closely related viruses that primarily affect different species of birds but there is some cross-infection. Infection occurs through skin abrasions or bites, through the respiratory route and possibly through ingestion of infective scabs. It can be transmitted by birds, mosquitoes or fomites (inanimate objects such as equipment). The virus is highly resistant in dried scabs and under certain conditions may survive for months. Mosquitoes can harbour infective virus for a month or more after feeding on affected birds and can subsequently infect other birds. Recovered birds do not remain carriers. A flock may be affected for several months as fowl pox spreads slowly.

6. Thanks Hoghunter thanked for this post
    Likes Hoghunter, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i had fowl pox bad one season my whole yard got it. heavy rains and skeeters were my cause and maybe introducing a new line didn't help. best advice i got was from Cigar... clean them up good (i used bleach like another poster stated) and then put the black shoe polish on the sores. i only lost 1 hen but it had wet pox and i culled the new family because they weren't to my liking since then i haven't had any other pox outbreaks

8. Likes Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    i had fowl pox bad one season my whole yard got it. heavy rains and skeeters were my cause and maybe introducing a new line didn't help. best advice i got was from Cigar... clean them up good (i used bleach like another poster stated) and then put the black shoe polish on the sores. i only lost 1 hen but it had wet pox and i culled the new family because they weren't to my liking since then i haven't had any other pox outbreaks
    Yea bringing new fowl to your yard is always a risk . Best thing to do if u bring new fowl to your yard is keep them seperated from your fowl for a while till u know for sure they wont give any kind of virus or diseases to your fowl . Once they stay healthy for a good amount of time then u can introduce them with yours . Guys taht are constantly buying new fowl are putting there whole yard at risk if thsy dont quarentine them first before mixing them with there flock . These days with all the crazy stuff going around its a very smart thing to do

10. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    Yea bringing new fowl to your yard is always a risk . Best thing to do if u bring new fowl to your yard is keep them seperated from your fowl for a while till u know for sure they wont give any kind of virus or diseases to your fowl . Once they stay healthy for a good amount of time then u can introduce them with yours . Guys taht are constantly buying new fowl are putting there whole yard at risk if thsy dont quarentine them first before mixing them with there flock . These days with all the crazy stuff going around its a very smart thing to do
    That is Sound advice.. Glad I don't buy fowl..

Post Thanks / Like

Prevention of Pox –
    To prevent Pox from invading ones farm. Start with emptying all containers of old excess water this would be one of the main source for mosquitoes to strive. For areas which can’t be emptied like ponds, slow running creeks and water troughs one can buy what is call mosquitoes donuts can get at local Home Depot
    or Lowes these are safe for animals.

Vaccinating can be prevention however remember that one might be introducing a live virus to the flock even if all flock is vaccinated there are always some that doesn’t take and still get pox. There are some pox tablets that work very well.

Once pox has infected a bird there are no cures just has to run its path these suggestion are for containment from spreading. Pox is a virus. To treat Pox one can do several things to keep from spreading the sores.

There are two types of pox dry pox and wet pox.
    Dry pox is where sore persist on the outside which could be on the head or legs. There are several ways to treat pox one may use hydrogen-peroxide to wash the pox sores which one may refer to as dry pox. One may use shoe polish dauber and cover the sores with shoe polish to dry out the sore and keep from spreading.

Wet pox is on inside the mouth this would be the worst type due to the fact that suffocation can occur due to swelling of the throat from the sores.

Never treat pox with penicillin or penicillin base products due to it fuels pox.

13. Thanks KAHUNA NO KA OI, Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Hoghunter, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How can u want to prevent pox or treat it but not wanna vaccinate ,lol ...

15. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    What you say makes great sense if you have a pox problem yearly. It would make only good sense to vaccinate. I've lost very few in 50 years to pox. So not worth the trouble to me.

17. Likes KAHUNA NO KA OI, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Del , I hear ya .. I've had no trouble either but given too many safety meetings I guess .. If you do something every day for 100 years for nothing but on day 365,000 it saves your butt then it was worth it

I can poke em for pox just as quick as a guy can go hunt for water puddles to kick dry and way faster to poke once than doctor every day ..

19. Thanks LaBlue, Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

vaccinate is not treatment of one when he already has it... it's a virus and has to run it's coarse

21. Likes leonidas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah , lol ... But why bother dumping out old water to avoid pox and not take two seconds to vaccinate ? If you cull with an axe or don't care to vaccinate why bother treating ? Just chunk em in the pond if they aim worth a fifty cent shot and two seconds of time .

23. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have birds starting to show pox vaccinating them at that time will not help it will only make them worse so it's best to let it take it's course. When you vaccinate what you're doing is giving them a mild form of the virus and once they have the virus they become immune to it. Yes mosquitoes do spread the virus but gnats can also spread it. The way spreads in flocks is birds can pick up the dried scabs that fall off an infected bird, the scabs stay live for 3-4 weeks, a healthy bird eats the scab and boom now they got. Another way is through drinking water from a bird that has wet pox. One thing you can do to help stop the spreading is to use a product known as oxine, this can be mixed with water and sprayed around and even inside of coops and buildings where birds would be, it's about the the only thing that can kill the virus left from the scabs, you can also mix small amounts in their drinking water. Best time to vaccinate is early in the year before mosquitoes and gnats become a problem. I might add that it's good to use LA-200 or 300 after it takes it course to avoid any secondary infections such as CRD etc.

25. Thanks KAHUNA NO KA OI thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pour some apple cider vinegar on their head, dry them right up. I dont vaccinate for that or anything including Mareks and most wont get the pox , thats bc Im the heat n humdity moreso than most. But if they do, Ill do that before it gets in their eyes.
    best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; November 10th, 2019 at 09:58 AM.

27. Thanks richardself, KAHUNA NO KA OI thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can poke their wing as fast as you can dose em with vinegar ... Yours has pox , mine don't ..

Post Thanks / Like

I can poke their wing as fast as you can dose em with vinegar ... Yours has pox , mine don't ..
    Sounds marvelous man.....
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

just NEVER forget to do it EVERY YEAR.

31. Likes leonidas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    just NEVER forget to do it EVERY YEAR.

I vaccinate my dogs , kids and fowl .. They won't let your kids I school or pups to be shipped withoutsots and not a single one of you would not vaccinate your kids for pox , measles ,etc ..so don't act tough about your fowl.. Not vaccinating for pix is just being lazy .. If it hasn't effected you then you don't care .. But if it happens to you then preach it

Post Thanks / Like

I vaccinate my dogs , kids and fowl .. They won't let your kids I school or pups to be shipped withoutsots and not a single one of you would not vaccinate your kids for pox , measles ,etc ..so don't act tough about your fowl.. Not vaccinating for pix is just being lazy .. If it hasn't effected you then you don't care .. But if it happens to you then preach it
    Oh, it happens. I Just breed the ones that arent really bothered by it. Yiur approach is fine for humans and dogs. I know EVERY LIVING ANIMAL isnít susceptible to all microorganisms. Breed them and u will see for yourself. This method DOESNT work for people who dont keep the same breed of fowl for decades.

34. Thanks KAHUNA NO KA OI thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your fowl are immune to pox ? What else ?

36. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your fowl are immune to pox ? What else ?
    Did u read my post? Only breed the ones not bothered by it. If they get them. Its rarely bad. If its bad. Cull.

38. Likes Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be great IF any had resistance .. Or if your best cock or hen didn't catch it . It's that BRK idea of finding the strongest and would be great for barnyards but them golden hens and cocks are more important .. Murphy's Law is more likely to leave you with a mediocre yard of healthy cocks than winners .

No way in the real world that anyone with a hen who threw sons that you won a handful of derbies with and were multiple winners ... No way a single I e of us aint out tHere doctoring that hen ...

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great IF any had resistance .. Or if your best cock or hen didn't catch it . It's that BRK idea of finding the strongest and would be great for barnyards but them golden hens and cocks are more important .. Murphy's Law is more likely to leave you with a mediocre yard of healthy cocks than winners .

No way in the real world that anyone with a hen who threw sons that you won a handful of derbies with and were multiple winners ... No way a single I e of us aint out tHere doctoring that hen ...
    I guess myself and every friend are just lucky

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah , lol ... But why bother dumping out old water to avoid pox and not take two seconds to vaccinate ? If you cull with an axe or don't care to vaccinate why bother treating ? Just chunk em in the pond if they aim worth a fifty cent shot and two seconds of time .
    once the bird gets the virus they will never get it again doesn't make them weak later in life no need to cull one treats the pox as it rises if it rises some places are more pron to get pox than other areas so for me i don't get a bunch so i dont vac.

Post Thanks / Like

What strain of pox you have and if or how bad they get it is out of your hands ... Total luck , and just random luck on which of your best show and brood fowl get it .. Vaccinating puts that control in your hands and it's cheap . Same with vaccinating for coccidiosis

To each their own , I always advise to be on the safe side and when in doubt , put more work in whatever you are doing . I have a buddy that just ain't in the know like you'd think ... He will worm with piperazine and still ask about vaccines like he's never heard of them .. I used to go vaccinate and worm for him but didn't this year ..point is , he can't blame me if he loses fowl ..

Post Thanks / Like

What strain of pox you have and if or how bad they get it is out of your hands ... Total luck , and just random luck on which of your best show and brood fowl get it .. Vaccinating puts that control in your hands and it's cheap . Same with vaccinating for coccidiosis

To each their own , I always advise to be on the safe side and when in doubt , put more work in whatever you are doing . I have a buddy that just ain't in the know like you'd think ... He will worm with piperazine and still ask about vaccines like he's never heard of them .. I used to go vaccinate and worm for him but didn't this year ..point is , he can't blame me if he loses fowl ..
    there's 2 types wet and dry normally if i get it's dry pox i don't get enough of them with it to vac. that is why i don't if i had year in year out and many cases of it i would vac.