Thread: Heavy weight brood cock?

Post Thanks / Like

Heavy weight brood cock?

I have a big heavy Shake cock 2x in sk. Has won with ease both times, I was wondering if anyone has ever put a big heavy bird in the brood pen and what was the result in the offspring? Our rule of thumb has always been throw a winning cock ranging from 4.12 to 5.2 in a brood pen, but this heavy bird comes from a 5 pound broodcock. So if anyone has any pointers or tips on this situation please share.

2. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heavy weight brood cock?

Well. Whats a heavy weight? 6.2? Or are we talking 7lbs? If he is a good cock, by that I mean good temperament, good conformation and station, no defects. I wouldn't worry about using him for a brood cock. The breeding may or may not give you large hens, But chances are the stags will be fine. If you one of the stags prove to be worthy of a brood cock down the road. He may throw some larger individuals.

Post Thanks / Like

I raise miniature fowl, so take this for what it is worth... More experienced breeders told me to use a small female rather than a small male if I wanted to cross into standard size fowl and breed back down in size. It has been my experience that a small female will take more size off of the offspring.

Post Thanks / Like

Big roosters are good to inbreed and also good to raise early may hatching

Post Thanks / Like

My personal belief is that anytime you breed a bird who is not perfect for what you want in its offspring, you are going backwards in your breeding program. I will say though that is more pertaining to keep a line going. If the heavy weight broodcock is part of your straight family and you are breeding him to raise more straight fowl, then my answer is no. I wouldn't do it. But if you are just breeding him to make a few crosses to see how they turn out, then it wont hurt. I would pick some smaller hens to breed him to and just see what you get. You may get offspring that are good size or you may get offspring that are too big but either way its no big loss if its just a few crosses to try out. Usually your stags will get some of their size from the broodcock but most will come from the hen, so if you breed to a smaller hen, they may come just right.