Thread: Just looking for some opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking for some opinions

Two years ago I was given a pair of Cuban's.This past season he won twice for me, but I lost him in a hurricane that we had in October.This pair was the last fowl that he had that his dad had before he passed,a fellow cocker bought fowl from his dad some thirty years ago, they where winning cock's during that time but they have not been shown for some time.Now that he's back he contacted the son and found out that I was given the last pair.Yesterday he came to see me and asked about them I told him that he saw the cock twice last season told him which cock he was and that he was the cock that tryed to buy and that I lost him in the hurricane,he than asked if he could breed her.I told him no because none of his cock's had been shown in years.He than asked if I wanted to sell her again I said no, and that I'm going to breed her to my Grey brood cock and take my chances with in my own yard.Do you all think this is wise.

2. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just looking for some opinions

If you like them and want to keep the Cubans then I would get the guy to bring his cock for you to check out there are ways to check him out I agree showing the fowl is the best but there are other ways

4. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you are planning on line breeding to her with your grey yes? If he still has Cuban cocks I agree with him bringing a handful to choose from to breed to your hen, done on your premises and under your eye. From there you all can decide on what is a fair share, he s gonna have to trust you if he wants it. Be careful with that then, move her around
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; December 2nd, 2019 at 01:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above. If you like the Cubans as a breed and he had the same blood in a nutshell I would definitely get with him on your terms tho. He seems intrigued so I would assume he'd play your game. I'd have him bring cock or cocks over and go through em and choose one to breed to her. If he doesn't want to do this I'd abort mission. Remember he came to you; so the ball is in your court.

7. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Move that hen around? Never let anyone know. What pen is her permanent pen. No chicken men knows where I live

Post Thanks / Like

Give him pick if the litter & u get the rest or split em up however. U both get to carry on the line that way. May help in the future again for both of you if u or he need a new hen or rooster of that family but not as close related as the ones on your own yard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your opinions.I've spoken to him since and proposed as Kevin G and Webby proposed I do he said that none of his cock's will leave his yard, and that I must bring her to him noway is that going to happen, so this is my plan.I will breed her to the Grey this season and watch his cock's show than buy the one that I like to breed her next season.

11. Likes KevinG, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he is not to far from you he could bring the cock over let him top the hen every 2 or 3 days and take him back home. He should be open to something that will work for both of you, if he is serious. Either way good luck with your breeding.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I don't trust him.I've had negative feedback from other cockers about him.One thing I have learned from you all is to see them perform before you add new blood to your stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    Move that hen around? Never let anyone know. What pen is her permanent pen. No chicken men knows where I live
    Yea, thats you and maybe MCtrott is same way as well which is good. People visit others, not everyone is as retracted like some of us are. Nobody visits me but thats because its how I have it by design. I know others who have people come by to b.s. with them all the time. People are more sly than you may think. If they both are familiar with the breed and he went by to visit, how do you know he didnt see her? If it were me, Id of asked to see her and then offered to buy her. Usually men walk the yard, not thinking anything of it.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; December 2nd, 2019 at 11:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mctrott1 View Post
    To be honest I don't trust him.I've had negative feedback from other cockers about him.One thing I have learned from you all is to see them perform before you add new blood to your stock.
    If you don't trust him it's over. Even if his birds are good I wouldn't have them. I wouldn't have anything to do with someone I don't trust. Always cost me in the long run.

16. Likes southernX, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

X2 on what hoghunter said in post 11.

18. Likes southernX liked this post
    CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

if you like cubans talk to sig1911

20. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post