Thread: Griffin claret throwback

Post Thanks / Like

Griffin claret throwback

Got some brassbacks from a white broodcock im going to try to set as a family in the future. It's been said that the bumblefoot greys went into them years ago

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griffin claret throwback

Wow that’s Wild! He looks real nice !

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nice one. So what black feathered blood went into the Bumblefoot? To me thats a BB Albany and they are great cutters so it wldnt surprise me at all. You can hide them easily, just breed them to another breed and its gone. I bred mine to Carr RH hens and the stags were WL grey colored and thats bc the cock was the BBA lol. It takes alot of recessive breeding or inbreeding rather to get them to come out BB like that again and even yet its a slim chance. Ray Alexander said that the Griffin brothers always outcrossed with their Claret, they didnt practice inbreeding so many lines cld have been crossed into the Griffin Clarets.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; December 4th, 2019 at 08:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=KevinG;4933299]Thats a nice one. So what black feathered blood went into the Bumblefoot? To me thats a BB Albany and they are great cutters so it wldnt surprise me at all. You can hide them easily, just breed them to another breed and its gone. I bred mine to Carr RH hens and the stags were WL grey colored and thats bc the cock was the BBA lol. It takes alot of recessive breeding or inbreeding rather to get them to come out BB like that again and even yet its a slim chance. Ray Alexander said that the Griffin brothers always outcrossed with their Claret, they didnt practice inbreeding so many lines cld have been crossed into the Griffin Clarets.
    Best wishes ..................................That is the same info. I learned. The Griffins around home were white leg. I have seen some YL. on this forum. ?
    Last edited by RHman1026; December 4th, 2019 at 11:24 AM.

5. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Close friend of mine inherited all the breeding records and sales receipts of Bud and Elmer. You would be surprised what went into them. Bumblefoot greys, what they described as "tassle" fowl. A real small slick knot TOPPY just to name a couple

7. Likes KevinG, CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Example

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRIPLECFARMS View Post
    Example

I would be willing to bet my Lastun that was Tait Claiborne

10. Likes irisheyes485 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Close friend of mine inherited all the breeding records and sales receipts of Bud and Elmer. You would be surprised what went into them. Bumblefoot greys, what they described as "tassle" fowl. A real small slick knot TOPPY just to name a couple

Thatís righteous, I must say I have been a out spoken enthusiast on believing in such a truth.

I didnít believe old Toppy lines vanished because they were no good.. I believe they vanished because folks used them to pick up their own lines and in turn losing them.. these hybrids turned set as strains could out perform them perhaps and that was the beginning of the end..

i believe alit of lines have had some Toppy line infused and a main contributor would be the Claiborneís.

but history is written by the victor and technologically adapt or a literary chronological account.

JMO

12. Likes sinapangan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Reb Williamson Griffin. They are said to be 7/8 Madigin 1/8 Charlie Brown Shawlneck. Whatever they are they can geter done. Dark Red, Straight Comb, Yeller Legs and red eyes. A friend has a family that looks like these but are Predominately Pearl Leg. His have made a big hit. We were not told the infusion(s) his carry but it doesn't matter. Both families are good size with medium Station.

14. Likes KevinG, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hogwaller View Post
    I have the Reb Williamson Griffin. They are said to be 7/8 Madigin 1/8 Charlie Brown Shawlneck. Whatever they are they can geter done. Dark Red, Straight Comb, Yeller Legs and red eyes. A friend has a family that looks like these but are Predominately Pearl Leg. His have made a big hit. We were not told the infusion(s) his carry but it doesn't matter. Both families are good size with medium Station.
    It never matters as long as they do well I agree and hear you on that HogW.

Thinking about it, If mine bred a certain look for many years and then deviated from that, Id just like to get some insight about them from others and see what they know. Its pretty intriguing when something added many decades back pops up. My experience with that has been about 50/50, just because its different doesnt always make it better. We have to always make sure they are up to par because when we do get a throwback as they say, first instinct is to breed it. Sometimes that is the way to go, but usually its because you've experienced it already. I really like that rooster though that Triple C posted. There are many black families but none have the quill as thick as those of the true black Albany family. The rooster in the pic has that trait, heavy plumage.
    SF

16. Thanks Hogwaller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have got 4 brassback stags and 6 brassback hens from this broodcock. @ 2 yrs old he molted white. This year he changed it up a bit. Last picture is a little history from my hometown. My dad lived in the trailer park that Mr. Sanders owned.

18. Likes Hogwaller, KevinG, BLAKE V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have got 4 brassback stags and 6 brassback hens from this broodcock. @ 2 yrs old he molted white. This year he changed it up a bit. Last picture is a little history from my hometown. My dad lived in the trailer park that Mr. Sanders owned.

Do u know Leland Lee from Georgia??? He was good Griffin blood

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

Example

That is a Saywell hen, not strait Claibourne but for sure have a good % of Claibourne in them.
    Here is the 10 year old Saywell cock to go with it.

Last edited by Crazy Eyes; December 5th, 2019 at 03:46 AM.

21. Likes KevinG, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the Saywell line has oriental blood.

23. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lurena View Post
    Looks like the Saywell line has oriental blood.
    Was thinking the same thing. My handler back then had some Mississippi Grey crossed with Spanard blood and those grey cocks had the same build and look.
    SF