Thread: Penny Hatch questions

Post Thanks / Like

Penny Hatch questions

My friend brought a Penny pullet to me, now I have some pure Penny Hatch from eggs Purchased from Last Chance Farm in Oklahoma. This pullet looks more like a Red Quill than my family of Penny Hatch. Could the breeder she came from have crossed some Red Quill into his hatch fowl or did Sheryl Penny make this cross?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Penny Hatch questions

Use the search engine for Penny Hatch. Plenty of good information.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Bill Mcnatt has some Pennys

Post Thanks / Like

I did use the search. I was wondering if anyone new someone with some good Penny's in dalls tx

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
    I did use the search. I was wondering if anyone new someone with some good Penny's in dalls tx
    Jerry Lawrence has Penny's in texas... I have 2 familys of Penny's one from gene batia and one from my mentor... they look very similar. When buying broodfowl you want to buy it from a well known source.....
    Dont listen to all the bulls##t on here about big breeders selling under par fowl... Breeders like gene batia,rat graves,gustavo Sanchez, lonnie harper, They are able to sell thousands of birds a year for a reason..
    People dont pay those big prices for junk I promise you.. All breeders have put out some subpar fowl it happens. And the big farms aren't exempt from that. In fact they probably have a higher probability of it because of the volume they put out.
    Jerry Lawrence is selling out so it's a good time to contact him about pennys... He has good penny hatch.. I dont say that because hes a freind and I'm not trying to help him sell fowl. The man refuses to sell me a feather even now.
    But to help you get on the right path I recommend you call him

7. Likes rooster65, Sig1911, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pennies fly high. You slash you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

David Melton of Last Chance Game farm has 2 families of Penny Hatch one is a typical Black-breasted red and the other are beautiful green legged spangled fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hyroller View Post
    Jerry Lawrence has Penny's in texas... I have 2 familys of Penny's one from gene batia and one from my mentor... they look very similar. When buying broodfowl you want to buy it from a well known source.....
    Dont listen to all the bulls##t on here about big breeders selling under par fowl... Breeders like gene batia,rat graves,gustavo Sanchez, lonnie harper, They are able to sell thousands of birds a year for a reason..
    People dont pay those big prices for junk I promise you.. All breeders have put out some subpar fowl it happens. And the big farms aren't exempt from that. In fact they probably have a higher probability of it because of the volume they put out.
    Jerry Lawrence is selling out so it's a good time to contact him about pennys... He has good penny hatch.. I dont say that because hes a freind and I'm not trying to help him sell fowl. The man refuses to sell me a feather even now.
    But to help you get on the right path I recommend you call him
    Buying birds for show and then for brood are 2 very different things, respectively. Alot of times you breed those and they dont produce nearly that of what you paid for originally. Then you breed them again and it gets worse, oh the light bulb comes on and its concluded that theyre hybrids even if theyre "pure". Those sellers keep repeating thousands of sales because the customers arent buying to breed and raise, theyre strictly loading up and then re stocking for show. And everyone knows that Mexican heel requires alot of turnaround each year, thats the nature of it. They know the chances of emulating and reproducing what they are buying are slim to none, you need their parents for that and good luck there. Its all about intent.
    If your Penny is out of OK, its prob Tom Dale origin and its said that they have a touch of brown red.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 11th, 2020 at 07:00 PM.

11. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For sure they get their hands on good stuff that produces well right, then they sell it and it shows well. But think about it, If you went into business and your customer cld repeat or copy your formula, recipe, process etc for lets say 10 years before having to go back, youd be in business for a very short time or it wldnt be nearly as lucrative as those names mentioned above. Thatd be a horrible business model, be like slittin your own throat lol. You need and want em to be constant repeat customers, so dont give away the formula to the secret hot sauce . Thats why corps do patents, trademarks and copyrights, need to protect what is theirs so no one else can take whats theirs.
    Used to read the phrase I sell the same as I show and I believe that to be true in some cases BUT whats always true is they dont always sell what they breed. Hell I dont blame them, gotta protect your investment.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 11th, 2020 at 07:46 PM.

13. Likes country liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as penny hatch having redquill, i can tell you this. I know a breeder in the granger tx area that breeds pennys, his come looking like they have a bit of redquill especially around and in the eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Very few people have the good old penny hatch....most is watered down versions one way or the other....Sherrill/Terry ever rarely ever let one go....redquill/spangled looks and whatever else is coursing behind the name it’s hard telling....just say it’s a penny and it’s all good right? Lol

16. Likes leonidas, gapman, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE-RITE View Post
    Very few people have the good old penny hatch....most is watered down versions one way or the other....Sherrill/Terry ever rarely ever let one go....redquill/spangled looks and whatever else is coursing behind the name it’s hard telling....just say it’s a penny and it’s all good right? Lol
    I hear you. Ive seen those that are so dark they almost look purplish, theyre damn good fowl. Gotta go with what they are now yes.
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

HatchInTexas this pullet is ginger colored all over with dark legs she is really a nice looking pullet. I put her in a large pen that I use for my young stags and pullets and when they started establishing her place in the pen, she held her own at half their age and size.

Post Thanks / Like

Pale face “penny” hen?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mentor had Pennys in the 90’s. We use to go to Arizona pits and show. They cut very well and were smart. Unfortunately they would loose interest if they knocked you down fast. They weren’t your typical Hatch.

22. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    My mentor had Pennys in the 90’s. We use to go to Arizona pits and show. They cut very well and were smart. Unfortunately they would loose interest if they knocked you down fast. They weren’t your typical Hatch.
    They were cold? They still won those though yes?
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    They were cold? They still won those though yes?
    SF
    Ill put it this way Kevin. “Get the count on the FIRST FLY”.

25. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Ill put it this way Kevin. “Get the count on the FIRST FLY”.
    Hehe, lmao. Yelling count all the way from pitttt. Id of tore that skin up on his vents
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac jack was best friends with sherrill and trained for him.read many letters from him to jack.jack had two kinds of pennies.the dark red with the black ring around the eye and a lemon hatch looking side never did see a spangled in them.and your right sherrill wouldn't sell or give you a feather back at delrio but jack could anything from sherrill. He won a 12 cock at copper state with them.doyle Lawson gave him a claret trio an bred 2 the pennies the were hard to beat for a few yrs.but I liked the darker ones myself.wouldnt have a clue who has the real deal ones like them 2 day