Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to split the winnings?

Post Thanks / Like

How to split the winnings?

If you could to to a well kept yard that kept good roosters, and the owner
    had fed out a show then asked you to take them, handle them and split the
    entry, what percentage would you expect in return?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to split the winnings?

Did u half the entry fee? Then I’d think half the winnings....: u could offer to supply the birds & put em up next time & half the entry with him. I think it’s based on what part of the entry you pay. You may find out your a better handler & he’s a better breeder or vice versa. Could make a good partnership as long as you win enough to get in the $$. Always made it more fun to team up with a friend & it’s easier on you financially if you don’t win to split that money too

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, We half the entry fee.
    I feed them out.
    They are my chickens.
    He takes them and shows them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, 50 - 50 seems a little too much. I raise the birds for two years. I have winning chickens. I pay half the entry. I feed them out.
    I get ????????????

Post Thanks / Like

I’d say 25% for half the entry fee and 10 % for handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Steel city farm, Catfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That should be hashed out before the D.

Post Thanks / Like

He wants it and it would help me. both agree but still thinking about percentages and what is fair to both parties.

Post Thanks / Like

An old timer was talking about this the other day. He had been asked to handle a show for Dr. Robinson, they tied the derby, Doc insisted he take 10%, now this was years ago.
    My friend said the standard way was:
    Man that put up all of the money---- 50%
    Handler--10%
    Feeder 15%
    Rooster owner-- only leaves 25% ( this seems low to me)
    Shows you how important the other 3 are. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    An old timer was talking about this the other day. He had been asked to handle a show for Dr. Robinson, they tied the derby, Doc insisted he take 10%, now this was years ago.
    Handler--10%
    Feeder 15%
    This always tended to be the standard split around here back when. I’m sure there were other splits depending on parties involved and how they viewed the opportunity.
    Personally, all the work that goes into 2 years bringing a rooster to that point far outweighed the money to back them.
    Last edited by Nauvoo; January 8th, 2020 at 10:11 AM.

11. Likes Steel city farm, Catfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heck no, I never let a gambler x financer make more than me especially since I bred and raised em in good flesh and health for hundreds of days. Ive split a few times, hardly ever and it was not for less than 60 to 70 for me depending on tasks. Without my birds being in good health, condition and on point, the money man wldnt win jack. They can go finance someone else with even less of a chance of winning anything although their take that never materialized wld have been more in theory. Most of the times if I didnt have the cash which was not often, Id defer until I did.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 8th, 2020 at 01:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Backer get 1/3 of that’s all he’s doing......Handler always 10 percent....whoever feeds should be handling IMO. Best thing to do is pay your own entry feed and handle your own show. Then you get it all. Lol.

14. Likes Nauvoo, Hoghunter, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it all myself but around here handler gets a fee plus 10-15% if they get in the money.
    Same for the feeder, they charge per cock in the keep and then you need to bring feed and supplements.
    If I got a backer he'd have to pay that and I still wouldn't go 50/50 with him for the rest of the money lol

Post Thanks / Like

35 - 65 is about what I was thinking.
    A man that has a lot to show cant pay and show them all.
    If he needs help, this sounds like a good solution.
    Thanks all.
    ezpz

17. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thread, so for the longest time was only my Partner (Father) and myself. We breed, raise, condition and feed together. On show day I tie and handle, except a few years ago we had a friend ask if he could help with Entry Fees. After giving it much thought we decided that he put up 65% or so and we would split the rest. When it comes down to splitting the money we each get a third. Before it was an even 50/50 but like someone mentioned earlier, waiting to have the money to participate in a show sometimes doesn't always work out. This way we are able to compete more often instead of waiting for the stars to align.

19. Likes KevinG, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I have say 4 shows at the same pit. I cant feed out 4 shows and I cant handle 4 shows by myself. I pay a handler and a feeder a set amount agreed too by both parties. If we get in the money I usually give them extra but it's generosity not necessity.

21. Likes KevinG, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Handler--10%
    Feeder 15%
    Ill b dam if im gonna raise them cocks for 2 years and put all work and time and money in them and let someone else put up the money and me only gat 25% . That soinds like higway robery to me lol. Im not gonna let someone else make that kinda moneu off of me or my fowl if i cant put up my own entry i aint going . Unless i had a partner and we split everything down the middle 50/50. Feed ,entry fees , meds etc. And in that case we would split the winnings 50/50 no matter who fed them out and handled them at show time
    Last edited by Steel city farm; January 8th, 2020 at 06:51 PM.

23. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say 70 for owner of birds. 20 for conditioning and 10 for handling. So if 2 people split entry I'd say 65 owner and 35 for other guy if he done conditioning and handling.
    Last edited by moseley; January 8th, 2020 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That is robery. Even in that conversation I think the 25% is wrong. Handler, feeder gets paid off the top then you split what's left. The thing to remember with some of the old ways is that the $ meant way less than the prestige of winning in certain competition. The Gentleman in the Claymore were there to win in a sport that they loved against the best. It was not a money thing for the competitors. Only the gamblers cared about the $$.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    That is robery. Even in that conversation I think the 25% is wrong. Handler, feeder gets paid off the top then you split what's left. The thing to remember with some of the old ways is that the $ meant way less than the prestige of winning in certain competition. The Gentleman in the Claymore were there to win in a sport that they loved against the best. It was not a money thing for the competitors. Only the gamblers cared about the $$.
    I agree with u about doing it fir the love ans prestige. Still right is right and wrong is wrong 25% for the birds is ridicilous. . But if owner of birds pays entry and just gets someone esle to train and handle them then its 10 %handler and 15 % feeder. Owner gsts 75%
    Last edited by Steel city farm; January 8th, 2020 at 07:13 PM.

27. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And there were certain shows where the money was handled and there wasn’t a choice if you wanted to play. Im sure a few with the right connection might pay a fee up front to be able to back their own, but otherwise you brought your birds and feeder/handler but money was taken care of n it got 50%. Didn’t like it, you didn’t have to play.

29. Likes Hoghunter, HeavyD, roostercm, Catfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    And there were certain shows where the money was handled and there wasn’t a choice if you wanted to play. Im sure a few with the right connection might pay a fee up front to be able to back their own, but otherwise you brought your birds and feeder/handler but money was taken care of n it got 50%. Didn’t like it, you didn’t have to play.
    I know the shows u are talking about. . Them kind work out in the favor of the guy putting up the money. He dont have 2 years of time ans hard work invested in crap . He just shows up on show day with his hands out . But you are right. If one dont like it dont play. Pretty simple
    Last edited by Steel city farm; January 8th, 2020 at 09:56 PM.

31. Likes Catfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing any easier or harder about them than any other 6 show. Only difference I ever seen much was whether a man was willing to risk his 2 years with those birds to win 50% or if he wanted to stick to his “I want 100% attitude” and wanted to put up another G with the birds for the same shot at soloing and winning a pot more than likely equal to about what the 50% would’ve payed.

33. Likes Catfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when legal I had a man offer me a good. Deal I thought. I fed and handled my cocks he put the money up and paid all my expenses while I was away from home. We would split 50/50. I was too bull headed and wanted it all but was financially unable to fight many of the big money derbies. That's the ones he wanted to fight. I should have took him up on it. In small money derbies the cocks are much more. Valuable than the 3-500 entry. And I'd say if the feeder and handler are not the owner or money man then they should get 10% each and then the owner and money man split however they decide. It takes all four to have a winning team. But one man can do it all.

35. Likes Catfish, KevinG, b.isabel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Back when legal I had a man offer me a good. Deal I thought. I fed and handled my cocks he put the money up and paid all my expenses while I was away from home. We would split 50/50. I was too bull headed and wanted it all but was financially unable to fight many of the big money derbies. That's the ones he wanted to fight. I should have took him up on it. In small money derbies the cocks are much more. Valuable than the 3-500 entry. And I'd say if the feeder and handler are not the owner or money man then they should get 10% each and then the owner and money man split however they decide. It takes all four to have a winning team. But one man can do it all.
    You didn’t just try him at least once to see what it was about?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    You didn’t just try him at least once to see what it was about?
    No I thanked him and said no thanks. He was at most of the derbies and always betting big. Said he won a lot betting on me.

38. Thanks Nauvoo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When legal, I have done 50/50 many many times. I always split entry before hand, wich was 300 and up. I always conditioned my fowl, I would point my fowl if fight was same day or next day. I would let them point out roosters if picked up early, like days or week before. I of course new who I did this with and trusted their pointing. This was very convenient for me when I could not travel and make shows especially states away. I have even threw in a grand or more for bets on mine and others fowl. When you lose, you are just out everything and thats part of it. You have to have faith in your roosters. Its always more profit to go and do it yourself if you win. I'm not a great handler, but even when I went and did not want to handle, there was always someone I knew there that would handle for me, and 10% is fare. There is alot of time and work and expence for someone to travel and pick up roosters, get them back to home or show and make it all happen, trust is a big factor also. Other than the half entry, I was out everything, but it was still worth it to me. I didn't always lose, lol.

40. Likes Mossy Dell, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The ussual agreement 60 percent for owner that took the expenses and 40 percent for the financer if he pays the pot 50-50 if financer take all the expenses.
    Last edited by Talbo19; January 9th, 2020 at 03:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

He pays half the entry fee he gets 25 percent, he pays all the entry he gets 50 percent, he pays none and handles he gets 10 percent

43. Likes Catfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all interesting points of View, a lot of you guys use handlers. Since I got started I always wanted to be in that pit, winning in that pit with your own Roosters is a High I won't get anywhere else. Hell I won't go to a show if I don't have a show of my own. I have plenty of experience handling and Yes I've had a few incidents, the biggest one was an Artery. Needless to say I can't imagine letting anyone else handle my Feathered Warriors. I mean you've gone the whole way of raising, feeding, conditioning, he has only felt your hands. Finish the Ride with him and Share the Glory. I can't wait to be back in there Again.

45. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

40% to owner of birds 10% to heeler,10% handler, 40% to money. Simple