Thread: german shepard make good chicken dogs ?

Post Thanks / Like

german shepard make good chicken dogs ?

what can I expect from this breed around chickens

Post Thanks / Like

Re: german shepard make good chicken dogs ?

To put in some time training and not to be left alone for a good while. Bamaokie had a good dog that was 1/2 GS 1/2 GP, I have a good one that’s 1/4 GS 3/4 GP from him. She hasn’t been any real trouble beyond playing/mouthing 2 hens when she was young. Nothing any worse than I’d expect from a straight GP left alone at the wrong time. Straight GS might be a challenge, be ready for a hard row to hoe and maybe you’re blessed with an easy one. They are great for protecting their master/s, but they have a high prey drive and it may be difficult breaking that view of chickens. If you’re successful, should make for a really good dog.
    Last edited by Nauvoo; January 13th, 2020 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had German shepherds in the past when I was a youngster they like to hunt they would hunt and catch rabbits...
    like nauvoo said they like to kill.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by CA whitetoppy06; January 13th, 2020 at 12:30 PM.

5. Likes Hoghunter, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice gs I had the black ones with a little brown.....

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my kids one a few years back a beautiful solid black one I had to get rid of him because as soon as he got big enough he started to kill chickens. That broke me from a straight bread one.

8. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guardian dogs are intended to protect life stock, Other dogs arent.

Post Thanks / Like

You can train any dog to be a good chicken dog if you get them young and spend the time and dont be soft on discipline my pit bull was hard headed when he was a pup but turned out to be great

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew, but I do have a blonde colored Black Mouth Curr that is fabulous. Sleeps during the day which is fine by me because I dont need it to be up then but is up allllll night long. Great nose and gives that deep bark that echoes through the woods that Id imagine coyotes and all can hear through the night.
    Has kept things away thus far. Doesnt bother the flock and never has, its all about command with that dog.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 13th, 2020 at 09:52 PM.

12. Likes Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, there is something wrong with shepherds. I wouldn't have a straight one but crosses are good. The guarding breeds are good. But an expert told me that any crossed up mutt can make a great livestock guard dog if it is raised with them. I have not tried that yet but would. He said to just be careful about using dogs with extremely strong prey drive, like Border collies. And maybe hot bird dogs. Hounds I've known have been fine. But the Germans did something to shepherds. For one thing most of them do have prey drive off the scale. Why did a supposed herding dog need that? They were made, selected, weren't a real herding breed. Now Dobermans seem different and I think they can be good chicken dogs. But a good crossbred is fine and may be best.

Post Thanks / Like

For its always been the Great Pyrenees,,,,walk them around your perimeter and their intuition kicks in and they’d go around back and forth whole night they are fun to watch

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a few good chicken dogs heelers,American Bulldogs, but by far the ones that guarded my fowl great have been my German Shepherds one has to be the Alpha and teach em right and wrong that on any dog. I have mine on command and dont use ordinary words for their commands either. They are called Shepherd for a reason meaining guardian??. Mine won;t let nothing in my yard. I will say this, when they are at the pup stage it;s crucial to build they confidence teach em take em around the fowl have em walk with you everywhere on the yard if they want to play with roosters on the strings that is a nope and a trip to visit that old mean whitehackle!!! German Shepherds like to work so keep them busy, by far best blood Ive owned.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it all depends on the individual.
    I have a 1/2 GS 1/2 Malinois that is still in training. This Bitch climbs trees and clears fences with ease.
    She fears nothing and Ive not lost one bird since she joined the team.

17. Likes gobolts0513, Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Nazi's bred the GERMAN SHEPHERD, to be an attack dog. After the WAR, the GERMAN SHEPHERD was brought back to AMERICA by the GI's. You would have better luck with a Shepherd dog that did not have German in its name.

Post Thanks / Like

I have six German Shepard’s. My first pair was tough but after some discipline they never touched a feather, but protect my chickens against anything. The dogs that I kept from breedings I guess learned from the older dogs so they don’t chase or kill my chickens. I leave all my dogs off chains roam as they please and leave em alone all day

20. Likes gobolts0513 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To each their own, but for the record I believe Rin Tin Tin, was lone survivor pup found in a bombed out bunker.. I checked to see when and says World War 1.. so inactuality, pre-nazi.

any dog requires time, respect, firm discipline.. if you want a lazy dog don’t get a GSD, if you want bunnies or varmints to live peacefully don’t get GSD.

If you want a dog that will be by your side for other life duties like protection of family, I honestly don’t know of a better dog.

ive been around mutts, red nose pits, Australian Shepherd, Queensland heelers, I’ve had a few Rottweilers (which wasn’t created by nazis, but a German butcher) to protect his flock of sheep from wolves (1800s)?
    we had a three way cross that was German Shepherd Rottweiler and black lab.. in his prime I found dozens of pit bulls killed on property.. when I was 10 there used to be packs of wild dogs that would come around.. kinda like human jokers, he whittled them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    I wish I knew, but I do have a blonde colored Black Mouth Curr that is fabulous. Sleeps during the day which is fine by me because I dont need it to be up then but is up allllll night long. Great nose and gives that deep bark that echoes through the woods that Id imagine coyotes and all can hear through the night.
    Has kept things away thus far. Doesnt bother the flock and never has, its all about command with that dog.
    SF
    Forgot to mention that we once had Catahoula, excellent dog and a fine job in securing the perimeter and all within itself. Id still have one but at the time I couldnt find any in the area. Good friend has always had both for hunting hog so I ended.up with the BMC. This BMC is very very similar to the Catahoula IMO when it comes to their size, actions, intelligence, behavior and attitude. Only difference is color to me.. Both dogs can be submissive to owner and obedient beyond but boy do they love to run. When you drive an ATV through the woods youll see them jumping through there and thats off the beaten path, they love it. Those 2 breeds, I dont know what it is, but they dont get nearly as tired as other breeds. They can go for a very long time and act as if its a normal day and ready to go again. You wont find a lazy bone in these 2 breeds.

We have always stuck to short haired, too damn hot n humid for thick long coats. Ive had Pit Bulls for many years, they were the first dogs I ever knew up until I left to the Corps and with them I learned about command and dominion. We wld have 2 litters per year, sometimes simultaneously. I remember one time having 23 lil ones running around, all Blue brindle and white and the dark brown brindle (tiger striped). Loved those things, still do. Have also had Doberman in addition to the 2 above.

I know of a few that have GP here. Their coat usually looks like crap with a 1000 burrs and stickers in em from the thick brush we have and Im sure they have a hard time having to be outside dogs and being white. Thats why I wont get one of those but I would if I were in a different area. They seem to be top notch for fowl and I like their size.

Another breed Ive seen work well here but has too much coat for me is the Texas Heeler, a set cross of Australian Shepard and Blue Heeler. Very agile, will climb over any fence to get to where they need to be and fun loving dogs.

All can be trained yes, some are just more tailored for it than others thats all.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 14th, 2020 at 09:49 PM.