Thread: poultry watering nipples

Post Thanks / Like

poultry watering nipples

i hope this is not a re-post but i searched the forum and didnt really see anything closely related. i was looking at some small watering nipples designed for poultry and they can be screwed into a bucket or a piece of pvc pipe. has anyone used these and what are the thoughts on them? i was thinking of putting a section of 2" pvc pipe on each pen with a nipple on the bottom for water. my thoughts were to keep the water clean and i can still add bleach or apple cider vinegar to the water when it comes time to fill the pipes but it would prevent dirt from getting into water bowls and still provide clean water. its a bit hot here in south texas and hanging water bowls dont cut it unless you hang two or three in each pen. plus i think it would prevent wild birds from drinking out of the water bowls. any thoughts on this? any feedback will be appreciated.

2. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: poultry watering nipples

You'll probably find it on those poultry catalog from Strombergs chicken or cacklehatchery.

Post Thanks / Like

I have wanted to try these nipples as well, probably great in the summer, but not in the winter, probably freeze in winter ..... let us know if you use them and how they work out ..... I've read good things about them. same as what we use for bunnies, so I guess, chickens w/use them as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Ebay has good deals on them here's a link for about 50 nipples for $12.98 free shipping.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201061908515?nav=SEARCH

6. Likes mnthawaii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the rabbit nipples on ebay for my meat rabbits. They are very useful, one 5 gallon bucket last 3 day with 3 adult rabbits and 5 young rabbits.
    Last edited by papa1969; August 12th, 2014 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks to all for the tips on where to find them. i have seen them in use one time but it was a 55 gallon plastic drum that fed a 1" pipe with 20 nipples for a flock of mixed breed farm chickens. i think im gonna go ahead and try them with a piece of 2" pipe for each pen. probably not in winter as suggested but our winter in south texas only lasts about 6 weeks. when i get a few built i will attempt some pictures and let you know how they work. i found them at farmtek.com. thanks again to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy that uses them. If I'm not mistaken he has them with a low pressure regulator connected to his house. My consern would be them pvc pipe getting to hot in the summer, like the garden hose. His had them for a few months, he likes them.

Post Thanks / Like

11. Thanks mtomlin, screamincheetah thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Camerines, that was a great video, I think I w/order some and try them ..... don't know about for winter, but w/surely work for summer ..... my hens always make a mess, they like playing in their water .... lol ..... maybe c/use some type of heat wrap for winter .... w/sure make watering a much much easier task and reduce the time involved .... thanks again !!!!

13. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any new ideas bumpppppppp up

Post Thanks / Like

Type automatic waters on amazon.com they different kind

Post Thanks / Like

I've picked up a few on eBay. They work really well. I've ran a tube from a 5 gal bucket with a t tube connector to each pen. Works for me!