Thread: Feed question

Post Thanks / Like

Feed question

I purchased 7 cocks about 2 weeks , good flesh,healthy looking, and act great. I have de-wormed and de-loused them. I am feeding them mainly Blue bonnet cut with a little Knockout to equal a little over 14 % protein level. I am feeding 1.35 ounces twice per day. They act hungry, but are leaving in their cups from a pea or 2 to a good bit of the small grains(milo or millet I think). My question is -- Am I feeding too much each time? How long does it take them to adjust to new feed? They are not in a keep, but plans are to start in a couple of weeks. Any, suggestions will be appreciated, thanks

2. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feed question

Some don’t take tomorrow a change of feed very fast. May take a few weeks b4 they get used to that change plus the move. If they are acting hungry, they probably are, just not for what they are getting now. Doesn’t sound like they’re being over fed

4. Thanks Catfish thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the replies

Post Thanks / Like

Ill say that even if they acted hungry but were leaving some still yet, Id cut it down a little bit. My birds have acted hungry before only to get to their pen and they still have feed lol. Ill just throw a pinch over it to get em to pick up the feed that was left over, thats rare here but it still happens at times. Its prior day feed, I dont overfeed that it has me wondering how old is that feed. Based on your split routine, Id always feed the most in mornings which the 1.35. Then Id try half of that in the evening. If they are eating all but some, its not that they dont like it IMO, its just that they are being overfed in the evening. Its up to you, alot of my birds leave Milo for the end, maybe even for the next day but its just a filler. I dont like for them to do that though, I dont like migratory birds in the day or rats coming around at night because they know there will be feed lingering in the pens. They carry alot of crap even mites. Thats why I skip a day here and there, theyll pick up any remnants and be ready to eat. I will feed a heavy load one day, light one the following, then an in between the next all by hand. Roughly palm only, to some fingers and a palm which I call the split finger lol, to a full full hand. Play with it a little bit. My feed schedule is a 3, 1, 3 with that one skipped day right in between, never hurt a thing. Heavy, light, medium, skip a day, then start over again. Mentally, with the changes during the week they would hardly ever have an issue with cutbacks later on in the keep and hardly ever a problem with excess fat.
    Best wishes Catfish
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 16th, 2020 at 06:58 PM.

7. Thanks Catfish thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They should clean up the feed pretty quickly. It won't hurt to cut back some until they clean it up. You don't want to have to cut feed in the keep to much. Keep an eye on their gut fat and build. Adjust accordingly. You should let them acclimate to the new yard and feed routine before putting them in the keep imo. Best of luck.

9. Thanks Catfish thanked for this post
    Likes gobolts0513 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are comfortable with the amount you are feeding, it could be they are just unfamiliar with some of the grains in the mix. They may or may not come around to eating everything, but I would go by body condition rather than what they are leaving behind.

11. Thanks Catfish thanked for this post
    Likes gobolts0513, Hoghunter, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they were good and healthy when you bought them I'd call the guy I bought them from and ask what he feeds. Then you could ween them on to your feed gradually. As far as the amount doesn't sound like too much to me.

13. Thanks Catfish thanked for this post
    Likes irisheyes485, Beaudeane, Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with lablue.i also know ur already feeding them keep feed.what ur feeding is pre-keep conditioning feed.go get some 7 way or even 9-way feed.sametime kid is right to u have to take ur time with new fowl.i like this. Feed them 1 potted meat a day.if they don't clean up the feed u know to cut back. But they are all giving u good sound advice.

15. Thanks Catfish thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those pesky squirrels get the second shot once I leave the cock area. Tried using glycol and msg with old feed to attract the varmints works sometimes but not all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

A good feed this time of year is 9-way scratch rabbit pellets added with dry oatmeal. Feed it 5 days.6th day feed dog feed add honey add a good helping of mince garlic. 7th day is clean up on feed if u want an can give wheat grass or a mixed vegetables.always remember when feeding wet feed an wet feed is a must at least once a week. U can add wormer B-12 or whatever you like to the wet feed.

18. Thanks Catfish thanked for this post
    Likes Mossy Dell liked this post