Thread: A new brood cock

Post Thanks / Like

A new brood cock

Let's assume a fellow has multiple multi-time winners to pick from. All straight bred. How would a fellow go about replacing the old man who is getting old and stiff legged?
    Does he pick one with the wins?
    One with the best body?
    Longest fight?
    Fastest wins?
    Or, .............................

Your thoughts?

ez

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A new brood cock

I pick from a cock that tops the other cock every time every fight. He is never flat footed. He is always attacking. His confirmation is perfect. He is a multiple time winner

3. Likes don128, Mossy Dell, regulargrey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As in how many 2or 3 3 or 4 if you have 3 or 4 breed them all in 2 years test all off spring and keep good records then you should know.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Spring Creek. But I wouldn't be so quick to REPLACE as much as I would be to just add fresh cocks into the breeding program. No need to retire a broodcock until A - he cant reproduce B- Until you find his better and by better that means in all ways. More wins, faster wins , gamer , better abilitied than the old cock was when he was same age. Last but not least he has to be able to pass it on to his sons. You wont know that for 2 years. Meanwhile you've retired a possible good better cock due to age than what you've just put in the broodpens and lost two years you might have still got some good ones from the original. Like Spring Creek said. You cant do all this with strict record keeping. Anything other than a good record but is luck of the draw and setting your years of investing up for failure.

Another important thing when selecting broodcocks based on ability is to know your competition . If the old cock won at one of the toughest place around where legal of course and the newer ones were against a noob in a hack then ( just an example ) then they might not be better at all or even as good. That's why if youre serious about breeding gamefowl for sport then I never got to excited when I met folks that I knew most people could win against I always wanted to meet the ones that most people couldn't. Hell it don't pay as good but in the long runs it does. You wont end up with a bunch of fake $hit on your hard . Plus if a mans in it just for money I think he is in it for the wrong reasons. Main thing is being honest with yourself about your fowl. Don't accept minor flaws in ability just because they catch your eye.

6. Likes LaBlue, Al Sanchez, avalos1991 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been asking the same question for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Winning is a snapshot of a moment in time ... You pick broodfowl over time . One cock molts quicker , when you take him to the scales at a strange place he crows at the sight of strangers .. He tops hens vigorously ... He dumps in the carry cases instead of his butt being puckered til you get him out .. If all else fails ... Test em day after day and breed the one that lasts longests before breaking , but break them even if it breaks you
    I'll take the puckered Tc over the pooper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezpz View Post
    Let's assume a fellow has multiple multi-time winners to pick from. All straight bred. How would a fellow go about replacing the old man who is getting old and stiff legged?
    Does he pick one with the wins?
    One with the best body?
    Longest fight?
    Fastest wins?
    Or, .............................

Your thoughts?

ez
    If you have 2 or 3 select ones. Breed each to 2 different hens. The offspring will tell you which one to keep.

10. Likes LaBlue, gaff, Mossy Dell, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If youve raised them, youll know. Alot of good replies here. I wont get into looks, most have their own idea on that and has been sufficiently covered throughout.

There may be one that never ever has had a bad moment. No matter what he is always moving and calling hens, just happy and always upbeat. When it comes to feeding time he is always thrilled and moving, eats it all and constantly shows a hearty appetite. He exudes dominance in and around his cage and is always ready to go. He didnt run from you but at same time alert, confident and kept his guard up, a proud and chivalrous attitude. As a stag he was down early and still jumping up n down till it was nearly dark and remained active as a cock.

Identifying potential brood material for me starts at a very young age, respectively. Their dossier goes back as long as I can remember. Now, will he be the best one to pass on the traits? Only time will tell on that but as a prerequisite its good to look for all those things. I will say one thing on looks aka the eye, I never leave out a slightly smaller one that checks all the boxes in favor of the larger one.

Bottom line for me is does he show all his dad did in these and other areas or maybe at a level even above and beyond that.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; January 24th, 2020 at 07:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's simple pick the one that catches your eyes every time you see him.you know the one that stands out in the crowd

13. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All good ideas and thank you for the thoughts.
    The old man is still kicking but may be the last year. Was just thinking that it won't be long. All of those multi-time winners are his sons. Tow years ago, I took 5 sons and bred them nine ways from sunday. Bred them to Their sisters their aunts, heck maybe bred them to their uncles! At any rate, all the offsprings are pretty darn nice. I can pick out the ones that I don't like but there are a lot of nice ones to choose from. I will know more later in the spring. Here is a problem though. Some of the identifiers mentioned above show in some of the offspring in a dominate way but those individuals have never been tested. They are so nice I hate the thoughts of testing them. I know what they will do when set down but that doesn't mean a quick lick wouldn't get them. Ah crap, I'm so confused.
    Got too damned many chickens thats the problem. Went out in the dark last night to pick through hens. Feeling each ones body. They are all marked but I'll bet
    there is between 75 and 100 running loose. I was scared to dispatch them as I wanted to keep the sisters to the impressive individuals. Gonna have to pick a few this spring before they take over the property.
    ez

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick the clutch if being single mated....the clutch brother's that meet your standards and they show you the style you looking for....I would start from there....single mate back to momma and her sisters....follow the one you like that still meet your standards and nothing wrong if they look good, too.....but just remember not all the mating's going be successful....either change the rooster one of his brothers or the hen aunty....always breed to your best on both sides of the mating that meets your standards ..................
    good luck....alohas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezpz View Post
    All good ideas and thank you for the thoughts.
    The old man is still kicking but may be the last year. Was just thinking that it won't be long. All of those multi-time winners are his sons. Tow years ago, I took 5 sons and bred them nine ways from sunday. Bred them to Their sisters their aunts, heck maybe bred them to their uncles! At any rate, all the offsprings are pretty darn nice. I can pick out the ones that I don't like but there are a lot of nice ones to choose from. I will know more later in the spring. Here is a problem though. Some of the identifiers mentioned above show in some of the offspring in a dominate way but those individuals have never been tested. They are so nice I hate the thoughts of testing them. I know what they will do when set down but that doesn't mean a quick lick wouldn't get them. Ah crap, I'm so confused.
    Got too damned many chickens thats the problem. Went out in the dark last night to pick through hens. Feeling each ones body. They are all marked but I'll bet
    there is between 75 and 100 running loose. I was scared to dispatch them as I wanted to keep the sisters to the impressive individuals. Gonna have to pick a few this spring before they take over the property.
    ez
    several have given good advice. We can and do pick ace cocks to breed. That doesn't make them great in the brood pen though. Like others and you have said, breed them, keep good records and test the offspring.. Then cull from your brood flack the ones that don't produce a high percent of winners. Do this every season and your flock will get better rather than worse. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad idea. You may trip and all your eggs get broken.

17. Likes Skincarver, gobolts0513, roostercm, JLF2.0 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always picked my RH broodcocks (stags) by highest % winners of a group of brothers. I didn't get too excited if I had one that was very good and the rest of his brothers together won lower % than another group from the yr. before. I used the same family of cocks til another came along with a better %. I paid more attention to the hens from the better families and what they would hopefully produce.