Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspy stag

Post Thanks / Like

Raspy stag

Ok I have a nice young stag that I hatched last year he seems fine, nice red colored head, eats good and acts generaly fine.
    Last Saturday I noticed when he crows he sounds a little raspy at the end. He is seperated from the rest any ideas on how to treat or cut my losses?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Raspy stag

I forgot the name off it, but it is like the flue for people. It can not be treated with CRD meds. It must run its course. Dang I wish I could remember what it is called. Typically they get it from wild birds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munderf View Post
    Ok I have a nice young stag that I hatched last year he seems fine, nice red colored head, eats good and acts generaly fine.
    Last Saturday I noticed when he crows he sounds a little raspy at the end. He is seperated from the rest any ideas on how to treat or cut my losses?
    Amtyl 500 should tale care of it. Tylan/Amoxicillin Combo is what it is......Or knock him in the head and move on. Your choice.

4. Likes BostonMurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shot of tylon 50 and 3 drops of vertex in beak 3 days if it dont work like fire said cull him

Post Thanks / Like

Your choice whether to break out the hatchet or if u want to try and fix him. Get u some oregano oil . Full dropper down his throat. Next day he will b back to normal. Best natural antibiotic u ever gonna find . Probably better then any man made also
    Last edited by Steel city farm; February 19th, 2020 at 01:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Who has the best hennies in California?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    Your choice whether to break out the hatchet or if u want to try and fix him. Get u some oregano oil . Full dropper down his throat. Next day he will b back to normal. Best natural antibiotic u ever gonna find . Probably better then any man made also
    Got some oregano oil, could only find gel-caps. We'll see what happens thanks for the advice men. The eggs were a little pricey so I wana try before he gets axed.

9. Likes KevinG, BostonMurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

in the Mike Ratcliff video he speaks on this and recommends a combiotic down the throat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    I forgot the name off it, but it is like the flue for people. It can not be treated with CRD meds. It must run its course. Dang I wish I could remember what it is called. Typically they get it from wild birds.
    I remembered what it is called The Rails which is a viral infection

Post Thanks / Like

I never treat any sick ones, I just cull, better in the long run. Your gonna sacrifice some so don’t waste time on weak birds when the rest are strong and healthy. If you make excuses because you paid good money your just defeating yourself. I’ve spent good money in the past only to get birds with CRD and other sickness they never touched the ground I simply cut my losses and kept moving forward. It’s your choice in the end so your gonna do what u want. Good luck....

13. Likes KevinG, shufflehard, BostonMurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    I make my own garlic oil. It works well as a natural antibiotic

15. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we all in a room and one comes down coughing , gets sick and dies or I'd culled because of a disease .. I want the vaccine and so does everyone else . Throw 3 vaccines in to 5 guys and the fur is flying . Now , they just chickens so kill em , cull em , eat em or hump em .. But if you got sick ones you got disease and the rest aint safe . Some of the rest are sick too .. Y'all ever see MJ's flu game ?

i vaccinate my pups , can't ship em without it .. Can't let your kids in school either . You love them .. I don't love chickens , but it don change the math .

Yall see that meme about sending non vaccinators and chicken cullers to China to prove your point .. Cull him , cull a bunch but don't out- tough Mother Nature , wave the white flag and take care of em .. Culling ain't tough , it means you rased a bird so you can kill it .. Y'all know what they say about little boys that torture animals and pull wings off flies .. Y'all ain't right

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he just has a weird crow. Kinda like us all having different voices & such. Some of u guys would say I have a raspy crow if u heard me trying to sing, but like the rooster your talking about, everything else seems fine

Post Thanks / Like

Good rule of thumb is always act fast , if you get a sick bird and don't know the cause , quarantine or cull Immediately . Is one bird worth all your birds? Its that simple.
    But to ignorantly waste valuable birds is senseless as well. First and foremost don't run a hospital. But some birds some people have on their farms are non-replaceable . If its a common issue that easily cured then its worth it. If it puts the whole flock at risk then its not. Each person must ask what Ive already stated , does my whole farm depend on this birds existence ? But sometimes you must answer and act very quickly. Best to own a booklet on diseases or at least be able to google and identify symptoms quickly .

19. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

good advice..

I will add that, chickens seem to be prone to many respiratory diseases.. viral, bacterial, fungal.. but a poultry veterinarian can atleast tell you what it is.. finding a poultry vet in your area can be the next challenge.

Oregano OIL..and as steel city recommends.

Post Thanks / Like

If you really think he is nice and you decide to cull him but believe him to be OK, why not a hack for a smaller amount. I have seen stags that were not 100% that gamed out a win. If you really think he is nice, I feel you owe it to your stag, to let his freak flag fly.

22. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you only talking about when he crows .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

24. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he doesn't look sick he probably not sick . I have had some birds with some weird sounding crows . If he young stag he probably still tuning his personal sound

26. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, LaBlue, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MJ from pa View Post
    If he doesn't look sick he probably not sick . I have had some birds with some weird sounding crows . If he young stag he probably still tuning his personal sound

That's 100% true and I didn't even think a thing about it. If he hasn't been crowing long there may not be anything at all wrong with him. Some crow a few times and take right to it. While some struggle at it and sound like hell for a good while LOL. Good post MJ

Post Thanks / Like

This has all been good advice, I don't have vary many birds like most of you so this is a learning experience. I still have this stag quarantined for awhile with no real change so maybe he is still trying to talk. Anyway I'm picking up his replacement Monday, good excuse to get another one

Post Thanks / Like

Question about the oregano oil.

yall using Essential oils?

i was reading where some are using this.. figured the herbal oil as it is Internal use?? The essential oil packs a greater punch..”Carvacrol”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CA whitetoppy06 View Post
    Question about the oregano oil.

yall using Essential oils?

i was reading where some are using this.. figured the herbal oil as it is Internal use?? The essential oil packs a greater punch..”Carvacrol”
    I use olive oil to make my garlic oil. It works for ear infection. I don’t use essential oils.

31. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir, that’s the “herbal oil”, that’s the right way to consume it..but I was reading on internet I will post link below so you guys can read it too. they mention using the “Essential Oil” (which is usually used externally and for scents or in vapors or such..

my mom used to make a oregano tincture but hasn’t for years..

anyhow I just got some “Oil of Oregano extract” $6.88 at Walmart for 60 1500mg softgels..

i cut tips and squeezed oil out into a small measuring cup.. took all 60 for about 5ML.. it wasn’t efficiently cost effective but all I had at time.. one stag I have has a little something going on so.. I gave him 2.5 ML.. using syringe top and back of mouth slowly gave him the oil..

He crowed 3 times before roosting, each one was clear..seems to have helped.

https://farminence.com/oregano-for-chickens/

Post Thanks / Like

I use batryl. One shot will kick most things

34. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have started using the Ropa poultry complete just recently. I have always kept my birds as healthy as possible so it was hard to see a difference. So I did as n experiment. Each line of tie cords got different amounts. 1 got full strength, 2 got half strength 3 got 1/4 strength rest of the yard none. From 1/4 strength up no deference. All fowl receiving the ropa looked like they were just finishing a keep bright red heads as nd all. This was during the moult. They also change feed intake and use. Very active but thats normal on my yard. I see a difference at about 3 weeks. Can't wait to see how it works with the chicks this year.

36. Likes Steel city farm, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems there's a problem getting Ropa , Stronbergs has their own version in stock but if you order Ropa it's on hold and they won't tell you until you get tired of waiting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Seems there's a problem getting Ropa , Stronbergs has their own version in stock but if you order Ropa it's on hold and they won't tell you until you get tired of waiting
    I've seen it in stock not far from me if someone "needs" it. It was around $150 for a gallon, idk if that's expensive for the product, but it seemed expensive for what was IN IT so I didn't buy it. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    I make my own garlic oil. It works well as a natural antibiotic
    How do you make garlic oil,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    I have started using the Ropa poultry complete just recently. I have always kept my birds as healthy as possible so it was hard to see a difference. So I did as n experiment. Each line of tie cords got different amounts. 1 got full strength, 2 got half strength 3 got 1/4 strength rest of the yard none. From 1/4 strength up no deference. All fowl receiving the ropa looked like they were just finishing a keep bright red heads as nd all. This was during the moult. They also change feed intake and use. Very active but thats normal on my yard. I see a difference at about 3 weeks. Can't wait to see how it works with the chicks this year.
    Its gonna work wonders on your chicks i dont lose a single one since ive been using the ropa 6 years ago. Im so glad i stumbled upon this product. I almost didnt share about the product on here but we are all so far apart its not like ae will ever meet in the proving grounds so i said why the hell not . If it helps someone then im all for it

41. Thanks Hoghunter thanked for this post
    Likes Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    U can still get it i just ordered ans recieved another gallon last week