Thread: Using hens???

Post Thanks / Like

Using hens???

Hey guys when using brood hens, how long does it take for them to get clean from previous brood cock?? If i use a hen for one time and the next time id like to use her again but with a different brood cock will she be clean?? All of her next eggs be of that 2nd brood cock?? All in the same breeding season, Gil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using hens???

if she has set yes will be from second cock

Post Thanks / Like

This has been long debated and results will vary......one test you can do is this. Take a hatch hen breed to a hatch cock...let her lay out. ..get a grey cock on her and do the same. It is still possible IMO you still could get a hatch chick from the first mating.....try it and see you might and you might not. Best thing to do is just keep her with the one cock and call it a day. Breed a sister to her to the other cock you want to use. On my straight blood I never take any chances.....cause you will get a surprise one day and call it a throwback......and it’s really just your hen wasn’t clean

4. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE-RITE View Post
    This has been long debated and results will vary......one test you can do is this. Take a hatch hen breed to a hatch cock...let her lay out. ..get a grey cock on her and do the same. It is still possible IMO you still could get a hatch chick from the first mating.....try it and see you might and you might not. Best thing to do is just keep her with the one cock and call it a day. Breed a sister to her to the other cock you want to use. On my straight blood I never take any chances.....cause you will get a surprise one day and call it a throwback......and it’s really just your hen wasn’t clean
    Ive done similar when I thought my redquill cock had finally gone infertile. First week of eggs were off him and all bad, found this around mid/late the next week, swapped in a grey cock and by mid/late the following week I found that some of the last eggs off the quill cock were indeed fertile, swapped him back in and i got straight quills on either side of about 4 grey quills. But this is not an attempt at justifying this practice or saying my findings will work in other situations. But if I were going to try something like this, it would be with red hen bred to a red cock and a pure for grey color cock.

6. Likes cutcutcut, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im using incubator to hatch chicks i use the hen and when she stops laying just thought about last week what if i want to use that hen with another cock?? It would take her a month or so to be ready again for her 2nd setting, question is would she be clean from her 1st set off eggs?? Gil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gil007 View Post
    Hey guys when using brood hens, how long does it take for them to get clean from previous brood cock?? If i use a hen for one time and the next time id like to use her again but with a different brood cock will she be clean?? All of her next eggs be of that 2nd brood cock?? All in the same breeding season, Gil
    I've been keeping track of this for the last 2 seasons.

The average was about 20 days until I was confident they were clean.

When I separate a cock and hen, I have kept incubating the eggs, to see when I lose fertility. It really depends on the fertility of the cock is my assessment.

Some fertility dropped almost immediately. Others went 10 days before a single infertile egg.

I called the hens clean when I got 7 eggs in a row infertile. bu that time it had already been another week or so since they laid that egg.

I tried incubating some well after 7 days of straight infertile eggs, and never had a fertile one pop up.

This is my experience, there were controll groups of normally fertilized eggs with every batch. It wasn't laboratory grade science, but surely at least middle school science fair B+ quality science. Lol

9. Thanks Mossy Dell thanked for this post
    Likes Catfish, tonetone559, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol whatever works brother nice keep them comments coming want to know what everybody thinks, Gil

Post Thanks / Like

MinuteMan, you are a scientist! So for your next experiment, please run a couple years of studies on how soon a new cock takes over. Sort of like Nauvoo did accidentally. I have read that the record for fertile eggs with no new cock was about a month. But with a new cock, the fresher, stronger sperm supposedly beats the former cock's sperm after a few eggs. I have heard 3 eggs and I've heard 5 eggs and she's laying eggs fertilized by the new male.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point mossy dell did not know that, Gil

13. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    MinuteMan, you are a scientist! So for your next experiment, please run a couple years of studies on how soon a new cock takes over. Sort of like Nauvoo did accidentally. I have read that the record for fertile eggs with no new cock was about a month. But with a new cock, the fresher, stronger sperm supposedly beats the former cock's sperm after a few eggs. I have heard 3 eggs and I've heard 5 eggs and she's laying eggs fertilized by the new male.
    I had one hen that wouldn't go broody she was with a rooster. So I threw her on yard for two weeks she ran around then she came up gone. I thought something got her. Cause I was having a lot of problems with coon and possums but sure enough 3 weeks later come out of woods with biddies. I thought I be damned. I think cock was eating the eggs. But they were the best redquills I've ever raised. Like buzz saws. Lol

15. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wait a month or longer, because I have been messed up more than once.

Post Thanks / Like

QUOTE=Gil007;4940677]Im using incubator to hatch chicks i use the hen and when she stops laying just thought about last week what if i want to use that hen with another cock?? It would take her a month or so to be ready again for her 2nd setting, question is would she be clean from her 1st set off eggs?? Gil[/QUOTE]

Assuming that you collected about 10 to 15 eggs before she stopped laying. Quarantine her in a good size pen, and feed her well, so she can regain her physical well being, and ready to breed again. This quarantine process should take about 3-4 weeks. When she starts to poop out an egg after 3 weeks, you can then put the new broodcock with her. It’s wrong IMO to put a new broodcock with a hen/pullet that just pooped out 10-15 eggs then stopped laying. They should be setting at that time or, given the time to replenish minerals in them like calcium, etc.. before mating them again. Just the way I see it.

18. Likes RLaurent14, Bama71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gil007 View Post
    Im using incubator to hatch chicks i use the hen and when she stops laying just thought about last week what if i want to use that hen with another cock?? It would take her a month or so to be ready again for her 2nd setting, question is would she be clean from her 1st set off eggs?? Gil
    No, not if she didn’t set the eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve alway been told that once they set they are clean. If they don’t set put them with new cock and throw away the first 3 eggs.

21. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all ways been told 2 leave them by there self for 30 day and they would b cleaned out

Post Thanks / Like

Does a time frame depend on them laying? I had a pure DMM (black) running loose until about dec. no roosters on cord, stags were penned about same time. Put her in a pen with hatch (blue legged). Left them alone til mid January and then put her son (5-10 stag I believe was inside her when Del shipped her). First black chick hatched has yellow feet and I think was from stag way back when she ran loose, but wasn’t laying. Possible?

Post Thanks / Like

The mugs will come with yellow feet,well at least some of mine do.

25. Thanks samiyam007 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    Hahaha. I wouldn't feel comfortable without being able to DNA test. I know I could do a color based breeding to see... but, if I were going to do it, I'd want more than just color to make my conclusions from.

I just don't put a hen with a new cock until I've run 7 infertile eggs. Makes me sleep all snuggly thinking I know how I bred 'em.

27. Likes Al Sanchez, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was taught thirty days. Their are 4 different sperm cells that come out of our fowl. That is why all the stags don’t fight the same. The first one that comes out. Is an attack and destroy any other sperm cells. Again thirty days is what I was taught.

29. Likes CA whitetoppy06, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to guess or go by what you were taught or told. This discussion has been had several times and using the search bar should bring up some good info about the subject as well as hens having the ability to choose. But I wont repeat all that here. If you want to know when your hen is safe to put with another cock put her in a pen by herself . Collect the eggs daily and keep breaking them and look at them and see. Its that simple !

Once there is no sign of being fertile after a several eggs your safe . If you cant tell the difference from this video Im linking then buy a small incubator collect and mark eggs day 1 day 2 day 3 etc etc , set the eggs in question and candle them after a few days. If fertile itll be obvious which ones are or are not.

31. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Using hens???

It is best to place the new brood cock on top of the hen immediately.

This is why. Old sperm is keep on the walls of tube that egg travels on. The sperm is kept in pockets or ducts and joins the egg as it makes it way out.

When a new cocks sperm comes in it will cover the prior cocks sperm that is sitting in those pockets “suffocating” the old sperm by making it expire since its at the bottom. You know First in last out.

So place your new cock in immediately. And hope for the best.

My brother just told me that a hen that had been isolated and penned for over six weeks just popped out with a clutch of baby chicks!!!! So in this case the sperm was still active and alive at three weeks.

33. Likes CA whitetoppy06, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I googled it and seen extension agent website where I could ask an expert. The answer received was 7-10 days, but there have been cases of longer. So I would think 30 days would be plenty

Post Thanks / Like

all my stags long ago penned up and I let a hen out to get grass and fresh air. She disappeared and I thought something got her. About 2 weeks after disappearing I see her and watch from a distance and find her nest. 12 eggs, 4 were fertile and 8 were not. I am thinking absence of rooster the 8 eggs did not hatch. so I would think the 7-10 days certainly made it here