Thread: Feed

Post Thanks / Like

Feed

I was at my local feed store the other day and they was telling me about several people feeding a mix of ddg and corn chops to there hens and they was laying like crazy. Has anyone on here tried it? I'm thinking tomorrow i will be putting a frw hens on it and give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feed

I'm using 32% puppy chow in my mix, at 20% of the total, to help get it up to around 18% for breeding.
    Last edited by Mossy Dell; March 24th, 2020 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    I'm using 32% puppy chow in my mix, at 20% of the total, to help get it up to around 18% for breeding.

The ddg runs around 28% and in my area it is less than $6.00 a 50lb so I figured worth a try on a couple hens

Post Thanks / Like

I would add as much soaked oats as corn, Hghtimes. Even soaking oats overnight improves their appeal and feed value. Oats are a great balance to corn.

5. Likes cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

During breeding season my mix to my brood pens is 2 part 18 percent pellets 1 part 32 percent puppy food and they lay great on thst mix. This year i thought id try 32 percent catfish floater instead of the dog food and they layed ok but not as good as normal with the dog food . Next year i will b going back to the dog food .
    Last edited by Steel city farm; March 24th, 2020 at 10:43 PM.

7. Likes cutcutcut, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    During breeding season my mix to my brood pens is 2 part 18 percent pellets 1 part 32 percent puppy food and they lay great on thst mix. This year i thought id try 32 percent catfish floater instead of the dog food and they layed ok but not as good as normal with the dog food . Next year i will b going back to the dog food .
    Be careful with the catfish food as well as catfood. I found it to be too "hot" for fowl if fed daily.

9. Likes cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Granddad would add calf manna and use pig startena pellets ... Larry Carter used Purina Omelene pellets and some use catfish food . I don't get it , it the same stuff and nothing in any of it is gonna offset the low grade feed.

Feed is cheap made unless it's the high end dog and cat food ... it's profit or don't make it . Protein is the most irrelevant number in a feed mix . You also can't mix cheap feed with good feed and made decent feed . Imagine getting a bite of a sandwhich with cheap hot dog and good steak in it ... you couldnt even grind it up and probably eat it .

The main aspect people in charge of feeding animals look at is energy of the feed and how well it converts ... two things you won't find on labels or discussed . I can tell ya' them hot feeds like calf manna don't wowrk like the math either ... it don't make em' balanced ... it's more like eating fast food alot and then deciding to work out so you get vitamins to take ... if you ever did that for long you know it just don't work .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    Be careful with the catfish food as well as catfood. I found it to be too "hot" for fowl if fed daily.
    I wont b using it anymore . I didnt like the results .Going back to my Diamond naturals puppy food . Which is what i use in my yard mix also

12. Likes Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will post my notes again on grains and seeds ranked by energy. I keep adding to it.

Grains, seeds ranked by energy/Kcal/lb; notes on properties

1. Roasted Soybeans 1,644 and 38% protein. Natural oil is easy to digest and will also generate heat while digesting; poultry like the flavor. High in Vit E, high lysine, contains phytoestrogens (like alfalfa and clover), moderate methionine content.

2. Corn 1,540 and 7.5 protein: 100% digestible, lowest in fiber, low methionine and phosphorus; only cereal grain that supplies Vitamin A. “For egg production, corn seemed to have more value as a single grain than oats or wheat,” acc to 1940 Iowa State College study.

3. Milo 1,505 and 11 protein. “Kafir corn or red milo” very much like corn with more fiber; tannins in red varieties can harm palatability and affect digestion.

4. Pearl Millet 1,470 and 12 protein. High fiber content. Very hard husk, reg small millet can pass undigested. More lysine, methionine and tryptophan content than other food grains, lower fat producing ability. Also supplies more thiamin and iron. Eggs higher in omega-3-fatty acids and lower in omega-6-fatty acid than eggs from hens receiving a corn based diets. Essential amino acid profile is more balanced than corn; higher oil content than other common cereal grains and is a better source of linolenic acid. Does not have many of the anti-nutritional factors than other alternative grains do. But contains saponins, which are known to damage the lining of the digestive tract.

5. Soft wheat 1,460 and 10.8 protein: can replace corn as energy source; most palatable to fowl, severely deficient in some amino acids but a good phosphorus source; fed alone, can slow digestion, cause upset—30% inclusion max suggested for young birds; stimulates the gizzard.

6. Hard wheat 1,440 and 13.5 protein. Higher values to soft except energy. In 1940 Iowa State College study found “hatchability was best with the eggs from the wheat-fed birds, followed by oats.”

7. Peas 1,300 and 22%+. Medium-energy protein ingredient; Low levels of sulfur amino acids (methionine and cystine); darker ones = higher tannins.

8. Flax 1,000 – 1,300 Kcal/lb and 30–37% protein. Limit to 20% max to avoid off flavors, refusal.

9. Barley 1,250 and 11.5 protein: a very hard kernel, prob works gizzard; beware of digestive problems from high levels unless fermented. Limit to 15% esp for young fowl w/out added enzymes.

10. Sunflower 1,200 kcal/lb and 16.9 protein Double this energy for hulled kernels? The oil content of black oil sunflower seeds is about 29%; 44% fat—high Omega 6 fatty acids, almost no Omega 3 fatty acids. High Vitamin E, cystine, methionine, good source of copper and B1. Fresh meal can be used for 10–15% of diet.

11. Oats 1,160 and 11 protein Same anti-nutrient as barley when raw, limit to 20% esp for young fowl (unless fermented); known to stimulate nervous system. “Our experiments over a period of about 5 years show that oats are the best single grain for young growing chicks, turkeys and ex*cellent for laying hens, too,” acc to 1950 Iowa State College study. Nice balance to corn. Best, in terms of being balanced, single grain over corn, wheat, and barley. “Chicks from hens on a high oat ration have more vigor than those from hens with a high corn ration,” acc to 1940 Iowa State College study.

14. Thanks Quapaw Kid thanked for this post
    Likes cutcutcut, bsmart, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a super layer around here I use. We also have a really good 13 way( meaning 13 different grains) at 16 percent protein. And I mix both 50/50. I’ve had more eggs this year than in the last 6 years.

16. Likes cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got back into raising gamefowl after 25 + years a lot has changed. The catfish food is one thing. Around here I cannot find decent quality catfish food. Being the stubborn sob I am I fed it anyway. Ran out and had to use the Diamond and could see the difference in just a week or two. But I am a short buss kind of guy so I'm still struggling with the change. Being cheaper to buy pre mixed than whole grain is another thing I am not used to. In this bunny hugging area whole wheat cost $.50 more than Southen states conditioner. Dog food cost more than chicken by the pound. WTF.

18. Likes cutcutcut, Mossy Dell, Sig1911, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    I just got back into raising gamefowl after 25 + years a lot has changed. The catfish food is one thing. Around here I cannot find decent quality catfish food. Being the stubborn sob I am I fed it anyway. Ran out and had to use the Diamond and could see the difference in just a week or two. But I am a short buss kind of guy so I'm still struggling with the change. Being cheaper to buy pre mixed than whole grain is another thing I am not used to. In this bunny hugging area whole wheat cost $.50 more than Southen states conditioner. Dog food cost more than chicken by the pound. WTF.
    The diamond puppy is kinda pricey I pay almsot $50 for 40lbs ans go thro a bag fairly quick. But i see results from using it and price is not a factor . Imo that catfish floater is not to good and my fowl dont like it . Its Very dry and just doesnt look worth a flip. I tried one bag and i wont b using it anymore
    Last edited by Steel city farm; March 25th, 2020 at 04:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Diamond ain't bad , I feed Victor or Taste of the Wild fish versions . I can tell you Purina Pro Plan performance uses corn gluten which is a contrary ingredient but the rest is clean-ish and if you are hunting hard corn gluten hands down greeters them out .. I need to find a small bite version . If you have access to feed grade corn gluten , I'd be feeding it ... Ignore the protein , label and warnings .. It is horsepower at the drawbar and not just the label

21. Likes cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Diamond ain't bad , I feed Victor or Taste of the Wild fish versions . I can tell you Purina Pro Plan performance uses corn gluten which is a contrary ingredient but the rest is clean-ish and if you are hunting hard corn gluten hands down greeters them out .. I need to find a small bite version . If you have access to feed grade corn gluten , I'd be feeding it ... Ignore the protein , label and warnings .. It is horsepower at the drawbar and not just the label
    I feed my dogs taste of the wild and i ran out of the puupy for my fowl and used some of the taste of the wild in my yard mix and my fowl absolutely loved it . I almost switch to ot for the fowl but its about $50 for a 28lb bag. But its got some of the best ingredients ive ever found in dog food
    Last edited by Steel city farm; March 25th, 2020 at 08:36 AM.