Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of Grey gamefowl

Post Thanks / Like

History of Grey gamefowl

I've done a good amount of research on trying to trace back the "first" grey gamefowl but didn't get as far as I assume they go back. Can anyone on here give me a history lesson on Grey's?

2. Likes Skincarver, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: History of Grey gamefowl

I believe it's the Gallus Sonnerati. The grey jungle fowl. I look it up on the book "Cockfighting All Over the World" by Carlos A. Finsterbusch, very first chapter.
    Last edited by Camarines; April 1st, 2020 at 12:04 AM.

4. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Likes Brettjern, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by grey/dom; April 1st, 2020 at 12:32 AM.

6. Likes Brettjern, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hugh Norman told me 45 yrs ago his YL st comb greys came from Madigan. Everyone calls them Law Greys now. Madigan got them from Hanky Dean. Dean got them from William Gulliver in Ireland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    Hugh Norman told me 45 yrs ago his YL st comb greys came from Madigan. Everyone calls them Law Greys now. Madigan got them from Hanky Dean. Dean got them from William Gulliver in Ireland.
    Do you know if the greys from William Gulliver were green legged or Yellow legged?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty interesting thread. I had always seen the Red jungle fowl and never really though much about the first Greys until now. I just assumed they came from an Oriental background and never though much past that. While the picture on google does have a greyish look it bears a strong resemblance to the Doms and a certain number of other fowl. Funny how time and selective breeding along with evolution can change things. But even funnier how even after eons have passed some things remain the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    Was is Gulliver or Gilman?

Post Thanks / Like

grey are generally not dead game fighting chicken be aware in your inbreeding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antair View Post
    Color has nothing to do with being game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brettjern View Post
    Do you know if the greys from William Gulliver were green legged or Yellow legged?
    YL.................................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flarreyeye View Post
    Was is Gulliver or Gilman?
    The man was Gulliver. Don't know what breed of grey he started with.

Post Thanks / Like

When Andy O'Conner wrote the history of the Regular Greys, I thought that I remembered him writing that the grey blood in them was Gilman Greys. I assumed that the Gilman's came from Deans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grey/dom View Post
    That grey cock or stag is beautifully colored

17. Likes grey/dom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john yates View Post
    Color has nothing to do with being game.
    15 years ago we give a whole batch of grey after inbreeding when 2 of them turn away from a fight just recently i swap a stag to kids when it turn away from a test fight

Post Thanks / Like

15 years ago we give a whole batch of grey after inbreeding when 2 of them turn away from a fight just recently i swap a stag to kids when it turn away from a test fight
    Ur grey is different from other greys. Like reds. Ur greys are from local in bohol? Or coming from here?
    my brod doesnt like greys also. But I love them.

I bought a grey from carbon 250 pessos. Got 2 wins with him. He was purchased also from my kumpare for 1,500. My kumpare give me the 1t. He pocketed 500. The opponent cant hit him to make him run away. Lol

again. Different hands. Different chickens. Oh. I was in panglao last year. Had a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

This i an ignorant statement. Grays have been proving their gameness for generations. I have seen some grays that dont cross well. There may be some gray lines that are not as tough but all in all I have seen more game, tough grays then not.

21. Likes cracker, sinapangan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to say gray is different than a grey. most popular grey in bohol may have hatch in them thats why its green legged may be thats what you mean. what i mention are yellow leg but not those sweeter gray in white legs
    Last edited by antair; April 1st, 2020 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This was your experience. Are you actually talking about jungle fowl or American games. Cause it has been my experience that American greys are just as game if not gamer than most. In my experience.
    Last edited by Bama71; April 1st, 2020 at 08:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to say gray is different than a grey. most popular grey in bohol may have hatch in them thats why its green legged may be thats what you mean. what i mention are yellow leg but not those sweeter gray in white legs
    Can you tell us the difference? Now I know.lol smh. Maybe spelling perhaps? Or ur takling Dan gray? Lolololol.
    Last edited by grey/dom; April 1st, 2020 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got singleton laws and goode greys they dont have the bottom power my regular grey or my green greys but they are game as I got

26. Likes RHman1026 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are only correct if you are talking about “Silver Duckwing Old English Game” that are sold as ornamental greys by poultry hatcheries like McMurry here in the states.
    Cockers on the other hand have been breeding grey colored fowl for centuries that are”Proven” to stay in the “Game”

28. Likes cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know where you live but in Oklahoma ive seen a bunch of red chickens run off compared to a few grey chickens

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greyroosterman View Post
    I dont know where you live but in Oklahoma ive seen a bunch of red chickens run off compared to a few grey chickens

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
    I heard that. My buddy asked me why I used a lot of grey for a vase blood. I just asked how many greys have you seen hit the pit wall and be gone. Lol Back in the day. He said point taken. Not saying it doesn’t happen but I’ve seen lot more reds than greys do it. Imo

31. Likes Brettjern liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is some thing I found,it states the Gilman Grey's and I quoit they were the most famous strain of not many years ago.They dark grey's silver and black,dark legs,face,ad eyes,but the soles of the feet were always yellow.They came to a feather,but some had yellower legs and lighter faces theres also something about Mr.Gilliver,but I will have to read it all to find the type of fowl he bred.

33. Likes Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd lay odds the first fowl to game up were Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Joe Redmonds been in this country long before anything Madigan had. And they was made with lines named after men long forgotten. I found it interesting that the wiki says yellow legs come from the jungle grey, makes you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my toughest matches in gaff were against Hatch Greys or GL Greys, you better get on em and stay on em . Sorry, I cant contribute much to the topic at hand but to me they are beautiful fowl. I will say most that have been successful are a strain or cross made by someone in recent decades. I believe Mule Train put some Hatch in his and then bred it out, Glen Justiss' Grey Soldiers were a cross of Madigan Grey with Albany and well we know Ramsey's were a cross as well. Ill be following this thread to see what else I can learn about the history of the grey gamefowl.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; April 2nd, 2020 at 12:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell us the difference? Now I know.lol smh. Maybe spelling perhaps? Or ur takling Dan gray? Lolololol.
    in Phils they used this YL greys just to be tricky in the match usually when its milky in color. my gray that i breed the most are those YL with polka dots of black that give me a red brood cock after

Post Thanks / Like

maybe what you mean are hulsey gray a cross from duke hulsey grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama71 View Post
    This was your experience. Are you actually talking about jungle fowl or American games. Cause it has been my experience that American greys are just as game if not gamer than most. In my experience.
    in my experience my chicks will kill each other 2 months after but this grey run even with spur from a gamefowl farm that give me some doubts if it runs from stag so i usually get rid of them thats crazy to fight them in derby. during this time with knieves longer and thinner it had to be game enough to make a win