Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soaked oats questions

Post Thanks / Like

Soaked oats questions

It's been along time since I've fed soaked oats, how long should they soak? If they sour or start to ferment to you still feed them? Before you guys start trodding on me for my ignorance, I am an old man with a memory shorter than a rooster's pecker.

Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soaked oats questions

U want them to start to ferment before u feed them. Mine soak at least a week or so before i feed them . They will last a pretty good while before they go bad . The stinkier the better IMHO . As long as the oats are a golden color they are still good no matter what they smell like or what the water looks like . There are no dumb questions IMO . But for future refrence if u use the search bar theres lots of threads on this subject and just about any questions u will have in the future

5. Likes Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    U want them to start to ferment before u feed them. Mine soak at least a week or so before i feed them . They will last a pretty good while before they go bad . The stinkier the better IMHO . As long as the oats are a golden color they are still good no matter what they smell like or what the water looks like . There are no dumb questions IMO . But for future refrence if u use the search bar theres lots of threads on this subject and just about any questions u will have in the future
    Thanks, Steel City, for being informative and for not be sarcastic.

Post Thanks / Like

let them soak in vin+H2o for at least 7day keeping covered with water ALL the time. the more stinky the better. feed every other day.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever had oats go bad, though I guess it's possible. I think they would just deteriorate and not become toxic—as long as they are kept covered with water. That's what's crucial.

As far as it goes, I feed them from the night after they start soaking onward. They start to ferment good after 3 days depending on temperature.

Fun Fact: Narraganset fed 40% soaked oats with his dry mix, which also included 10 percent dry oats. I wonder if cockers used to like skinnier fowl? He did feed 20 percent whole corn in the mix too.

9. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carl Lewis could eat hot dogs and potted meat .. Still outrun anyone at random track meets

Fowl are matched random .. Worst idea ever . Aces meet duds .. Pro vs Joe . Did shy win because of oats or in spite of ?

You have a nick , good care , good everything ... You average 70% .. 70% of those wins are so lopsided you coulda tried to lose and would win .

Olympics , UFC , sled dogs , Kentucky Derby .. Matches of elite vs elite .. Who are on fermented diets ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Carl Lewis could eat hot dogs and potted meat .. Still outrun anyone at random track meets

Fowl are matched random .. Worst idea ever . Aces meet duds .. Pro vs Joe . Did shy win because of oats or in spite of ?

You have a nick , good care , good everything ... You average 70% .. 70% of those wins are so lopsided you coulda tried to lose and would win .

Olympics , UFC , sled dogs , Kentucky Derby .. Matches of elite vs elite .. Who are on fermented diets ?
    Every thing blind match what more could any man want.. That's all I ever wanted was a fare match. But most of the time it was not fare as mine was way sharper and better conditioned. Just saying.

12. Likes roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had this discussion a million times on other threads . The guy wasnt asking the benefits of soaked oats or if feeding them would make winners out of short bred culls. He just wanted to know something very simple .
    Last edited by Steel city farm; May 1st, 2020 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like cheap liquor , ugly women or boring fights .. I want to chase the pretty girls and fight the baddest men. I'd rather em rematch winners than see Gilliam meet a broken feathered cull at 3 a.m. For the money .

Some guys coonhunt , rooster or rope just to be outta the house or away from things .. It's their version of Cheers and they are happy to be there .. I hate leading the house for anything less than a great hunt or money fight of the century ..

UFC would go bankrupt if ppv was Brock Lesnar vs a grandma but cockers pray for that match .. That's why folks would sill give a fortune to go back in time to get a cock from the tournament days between Blackwell , Brown , etc .. Wouldn't want heir clothes ,cars , eyeglasses ... Whose gonna want ours that barely get tested on show day nd never tested for days after .. Not me

Post Thanks / Like

We have had this discussion a million times on other threads . The guy wasnt asking the benefits of soaked oats or if feeding them would make winners out of short bred culls. He just wanted to know something very simple . Pretty easy question to answer .

Thats why beginners threads get all the replies .. Folks will pile up to repeat them easy answers .. Outta ban any grown man so dumb they ask the same question been talked about without searching first and ban anyone that gets caught repeating themselves to beginners after three times ...

16. Thanks macraess thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are multiple good reasons to soak oats.

Off the top of my head:

1. oats are the best overall grain for fowl in terms of nutritional balance, but they have the huge issue of fibrous husks and related anti-nutritional factors
    2. just overnight soaking neutralizes much of that and makes them much more palatable
    3. fermenting adds vitamins and other nutrient factors—see the studies I and others posted on a previous thread
    4. if fermented, oats can be fed far beyond the 15-20% limit advised for them and barley because of anti-nutritional factors
    5. oats are the lowest energy common grain, meaning they are not fattening and can be used to control or reduce weight
    6. horsemen lore attributes stimulating properties to oats

18. Thanks avalos1991 thanked for this post
    Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats why beginners threads get all the replies .. Folks will pile up to repeat them easy answers .. Outta ban any grown man so dumb they ask the same question been talked about without searching first and ban anyone that gets caught repeating themselves to beginners after three times ...
    Not everyone is a ******* like u are to new guys even tho the same questions have been asked several different times before . So fkn what if someone wants to chime in and give a answer on a question being asked . If u dont want to give advice then dont but dont down somwone else for doing it .. U must b the only person in the whole fkn world that was born knowing everything about fkn gamefowl and never ever had to ask for advice from someone .. i mean wtf !!!

20. Likes HomeCreek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like cheap liquor , ugly women or boring fights .. I want to chase the pretty girls and fight the baddest men. I'd rather em rematch winners than see Gilliam meet a broken feathered cull at 3 a.m. For the money .

Some guys coonhunt , rooster or rope just to be outta the house or away from things .. It's their version of Cheers and they are happy to be there .. I hate leading the house for anything less than a great hunt or money fight of the century ..

UFC would go bankrupt if ppv was Brock Lesnar vs a grandma but cockers pray for that match .. That's why folks would sill give a fortune to go back in time to get a cock from the tournament days between Blackwell , Brown , etc .. Wouldn't want heir clothes ,cars , eyeglasses ... Whose gonna want ours that barely get tested on show day nd never tested for days after .. Not me
    You would make a good fictional author... Pretty gentlemanly of you for letting us have the material for free. Stephen King made millions with the same kind of imagination.

Post Thanks / Like

alot of work and time goes into making an oat something you can get easier ... there is a reason fowl get lean on em and its the obvious one . fermentig , adding stuff to the water ... step back and i just think ... why try to pick that lock in 2020 ?

some guys have poor ground , feed the cheap way and oats might be an improvement ... id get the whole picture before giving advice . there are guys on good , fresh farms that feed a good premix actually adding oats ... a diet is based on all kinds of things an organism needs for whatever activity they are doing or growth stage and then the meals planned around that ... but if you go that route like the people who make a living on nutrition do .... beginners would have to actually do some work before posting and then we would have to slow down on wooing them .

chickens will eat styrafoam like crazy ... people even swear by giving it to chicks to cut down on pecking ... 100 pages on milk being bad and lactaid milk sold right next to whole milk ... the bag next to whole oats is called oat groats . why wouldnt everyone advocating oats just use them ? men like to find easy ways to feel productive ...

Post Thanks / Like

Mexico would probably be right up your alley then. A lot of the derbies after a couple of rounds, only the ones with better scores qualify to go to next round. Each round, entries are eliminated. By the time you get to the final round, only guys whose roosters are fighting well that week are left to battle it out. Some Philippines derbies are like that too with only qualifiers in final rounds. Some derbies here in U.S. was like that too although not very common. Each round, losers was eliminated.

24. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that the husks that are a problem with dry oats in terms of palatability are also a huge benefit. Only barley of common grains also has decent or high fiber. Fowl will eat about 15% dry oats but will gorge on the goodness of fermented oats.

The ironies of oats. They are magic. Just dump 'em in water, easy peasy.
    Last edited by Mossy Dell; May 1st, 2020 at 09:23 PM.

26. Likes gobolts0513, springwater, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, to start with, I ain't a damned rookie, raised and heeled gamefowl for over 40 years, I had a mentor who told me soaked oats would put breasts on a rooster that is light in the breast, I have 3 brothers, that have a real deep keel bone and not much breast, I simply wanted to feed some soaked oats to give them a little more flesh in the breast. Back when I was young these would not have been on my yard, as I don't like roosters with deep keel bones for this very reason, back then I would go to breeders and physically handle potential brood fowl, if they had deep keels, they were rejected. I didn't start the thread, in order to get berated, I feed a great feed mix and simply was thinking about feeding some soaked oats to these three roosters.

28. Likes Steel city farm, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

there are times fiber is good .. but a beginner will hear soaked oats are good , alfalfa pellets are good , sunflower seeds are good and hes got four guys giving him good advice ... but his feed mix is way off . when someone comes up asking for stuff .. first thing is slown down , before I answer .. what are you trying to do ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard the claim oats will put on breast, Gremlin. It may be so. Narragansett always claimed they were strengthening. He gets blamed and credited for sour oats because he wrote about it. But he came out of a time and place and tradition where the top boys did that. Tom Murphy, his mentor of sorts, was a horseman and surely did it. Horsemen who were cockers and walked cocks at horse barns saw how fermented oats were like the softened oats that we through horses' inefficient digestive systems.

Post Thanks / Like

I love oats.. 1 oat, 2 oats, 3 oats four! 5 oats, 6 oats, 7 oats soak them more!

32. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've told this before and wish I could still get it. That's fresh butter milk. As a youngster we always had two milk cows and had fresh milk and butter year round we had so much butter milk we soaked our oats in it. They would still get stinky and clobbered all up. Our cocks and stags all had great breast on them. Actually would have to lean them a good bit to show them. Those oats would defiantly help put breast on a bird.

34. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Well, to start with, I ain't a damned rookie, raised and heeled gamefowl for over 40 years, I had a mentor who told me soaked oats would put breasts on a rooster that is light in the breast, I have 3 brothers, that have a real deep keel bone and not much breast, I simply wanted to feed some soaked oats to give them a little more flesh in the breast. Back when I was young these would not have been on my yard, as I don't like roosters with deep keel bones for this very reason, back then I would go to breeders and physically handle potential brood fowl, if they had deep keels, they were rejected. I didn't start the thread, in order to get berated, I feed a great feed mix and simply was thinking about feeding some soaked oats to these three roosters.
    I didnt figure u was a rookie and even if u was u are entitled to ask questions as u see fit . Thats exactky what this website is for to ask questions and have disscusions ans share knowledge . And u should b able to ask them without the smart as! Comments from some people . That is the reason alot of guys dont comment or newbies to the sport dont ask questions cause they dont want to b talked down on by some members . I didnt see a dam thing wrong with the questions u asked . Ive seen way worse threads made on here thats for sure. So keep on Buddy. And just for future refrenses that search bar is not even close to being as good as it use to be ..
    Last edited by Steel city farm; May 1st, 2020 at 10:57 PM.

36. Likes regulargrey, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt figure u was a rookie and even if u was u are entitled to ask questions as u see fit . Thats exactky what this website is for to ask questions and have disscusions ans share knowledge . And u should b able to ask them without the smart as! Comments from some people . Its crap like that is the reason alot of guys dont comment or begginers dont ask questions cause they dont want to b talked down on by some members . I didnt see a dam thing wrong with the questions u asked .
    Do you know why? Some people are salty. Some people have the knack of making simple things complicated. However, I agree that the search bar is there for a reason. We can always use it instead of starting a new thread which is basically, already on the discussion forum.

But I also agree that if someone ask a question and you have answers, why don't you directly answer the question. No beating around the bush. Keep it simple and direct to the point. If you do not want to answer the question, just ignore it and move on.

Going back to the topic, when I soak oats, I put the container under the sun. It helps speed up the fermentation.

38. Likes LaBlue, Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

beginner or not ... a grown man wanting to learn has 20 yrs of many threads on every subject to read or bump the thread up like he has some sense ... cost money to store it , so use it ... my Granddad feeds cheap scratch and his stags feel great . lots of ways to do it , a chicken hanging around in a pen dont need much luckily

Post Thanks / Like

If u look at chicken talk threads right now you can probably count 10 or so threads with useless BS that has been talked about over ans over and over ans some with a guy advertising fowl for sale and others with a thread started with a picture of one stsg or a cock so whats one more thread with a question that someone is needing answers for ? . If u dont want to answer a persons questions then dont . Move on its that simple.
    Last edited by Steel city farm; May 1st, 2020 at 11:43 PM.

41. Likes blackman, Mossy Dell, regulargrey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guy never knows when he post on here what will happen! On the original subject I soak oats in the same 30 gal barrel my mentor did 40 years ago. Fill it let it soak a day or two and start feeding. By the time I get to the bottom in 2 weeks or so its pretty rank, the ranker it is the better they like it. I always believed oats were the reason stags walked at a horse barn always looked so good. The oats that pass through a horse partially digested chickens eat like candy! I think soaking them duplicates this process in a little bit similar fashion.

43. Likes LaBlue, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 horses and feed them oat straw and all the free range fowl spend time in the corrals with the horses.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've heard that 2 of oats putting breast on but u can also run n2 fowl genetically (ruined) that nothing will add breast on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    I have not heard the claim oats will put on breast, Gremlin. It may be so. Narragansett always claimed they were strengthening. He gets blamed and credited for sour oats because he wrote about it. But he came out of a time and place and tradition where the top boys did that. Tom Murphy, his mentor of sorts, was a horseman and surely did it. Horsemen who were cockers and walked cocks at horse barns saw how fermented oats were like the softened oats that we through horses' inefficient digestive systems.
    OLe Johnny Mays told me once of a woman Cocker that had horses also. We were talking about testosterone. My memory doesn't serve me well and I can't remember her name or where she was located but I do remember him stating she would soak oats and put stallion piss in with the mix and she was very hard to beat. Not suggesting anyone try that but one of those odd memories I have of old discussions about cocking years ago.

47. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post