Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Work All Spar Keep

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No Work All Spar Keep

All I can say is it all depends on the type of cocks you are breeding. I know this, muffs or not if you are breeding power cocks, cocks that hit deep to the body and even with muffs on cause that very fine close to the body down to knock lose and float around you just can't spar very often or bad things are going to happen. When a cock hits hard enough to visibly hurt the other cock even with muffs on you are going backwards not forwards.

2. Likes Thunda, gaff, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter g View Post
    All I can say is it all depends on the type of cocks you are breeding. I know this, muffs or not if you are breeding power cocks, cocks that hit deep to the body and even with muffs on cause that very fine close to the body down to knock lose and float around you just can't spar very often or bad things are going to happen. When a cock hits hard enough to visibly hurt the other cock even with muffs on you are going backwards not forwards.
    I spar quick with gloves on but sometimes you cant avoid the shuffling especially if pitted close. They also went thru the rotation, but I gues 1 week rest is not enough for their age...

Post Thanks / Like

Many fowl don't reach their full gameness at 8 1/2 months. I'd say three more months rest.

5. Likes Thunda, samiyam007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burihara View Post
    I spar quick with gloves on but sometimes you cant avoid the shuffling especially if pitted close. They also went thru the rotation, but I gues 1 week rest is not enough for their age...
    Lesson learned - you got to have it all covered. Theres no shortcut in this business.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank y'all for your comments (good or bad i appreciate it) and/or suggestions. Hope mr dell & thunda settle it out as gentlemen... Getting sleepy, glad quarantine ban on liquor was just lifted...

8. Likes Thunda, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a 5-6 minute fight, i think endurance played a big role, he looked very tired....His opponent was badly wounded & getting sleepy...I thought i would win. The pit owner told me that the bird is good but very young. Also, the birds mother is not a good producer....she went thru the axe...Ty.
    What breed were these stags? Or what cross? A long time ago if I planned to show stags hens played a very important part. Because stags tend to have sharp spurs the hen would run from him, so the trick was to have a big enough pen and a couple of places the hen could fly to trying to get away from the stag. Like a couple of roost poles and a water stand. Great exercise for a rooster and the hen will help with the "cockiness". I am also curious as to why the hen culled? Not the son(s)? If he was good enough to try why not age him a little?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank y'all for your comments (good or bad i appreciate it) and/or suggestions. Hope mr dell & thunda settle it out as gentlemen... Getting sleepy, glad quarantine ban on liquor was just lifted...
    I normally don’t spar a lot of my roosters, but when I do 2 buckles is enough that makes contact. I do hand spar my roosters a lot more and have to becareful by doing this, that u are not teaching roosters to duck.I use 10ft wide by 6ft high 1x1 chicken wire for my scratch/round pens with 1ft high of cardboard that goes around the bottom with horse manure(worm compost) and about 1ft of rabbit hay or newspaper shreddings. I also would rotate/replace roosters so each would see a different rooster every 3 days for 3 weeks. This will keep the roosters active and better shape, pre-keep.
    It is settle between me and la blue.
    Last edited by Thunda; May 24th, 2020 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samiyam007 View Post
    What breed were these stags? Or what cross? A long time ago if I planned to show stags hens played a very important part. Because stags tend to have sharp spurs the hen would run from him, so the trick was to have a big enough pen and a couple of places the hen could fly to trying to get away from the stag. Like a couple of roost poles and a water stand. Great exercise for a rooster and the hen will help with the "cockiness". I am also curious as to why the hen culled? Not the son(s)? If he was good enough to try why not age him a little?
    Sir Samiyam, i will not mention bloodline coz both parents have game bloodlines, but the cross among others produced 2 a little bit cold stags. Thought the daily spar would help them mature early. It did somehow during the 21 day training. Its a different story when one of them experienced the blade. I culled the mother because her offsprings have very low (less than 50%) winning percentage. Thanks.
    Last edited by Burihara; May 25th, 2020 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is, might be okey only in the P.I shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    All I can say is, might be okey only in the P.I shows.
    Your right sir, stag fighting in PI is widespread. Not so much in the US back in the day when it was legal I think ...