Thread: Gamefowl around children?

Post Thanks / Like

Gamefowl around children?

Whatís your guys experience? Iím new to the gamefowl and was wondering if I free ranged him with hens if the game would see a child as a threat? I have had roos in past but would like to get involved games. I know some are man fighters by genetics but say if we hand raised a radio or law grey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gamefowl around children?

A few gamefowls hen with chicks or a rooster will attack a child. I will not leave my child by herself or himself alone with the gamefowls.

3. Likes Shrek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I raised 4 boys from hatch to trio(marriage and kids of their own) with gamefowl the whole time. My kids were of the generation that actually played outside. It was never an issue. I dont recall any of my children ever being injured by a hen or cock. And that's over a 20 year span. If I couldn't calm a man fighter down I took his head off which may have sided greatly in that respect.
    Last edited by HomeCreek; May 22nd, 2020 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

To maximize the numbers of chicks hatched early I single mate hens and incubate marked eggs from when they start laying for two months then only hen hatch. I find I would lose a lot of eggs otherwise because the hens don't always get broody early. To your question, when the chicks hatch I keep them in the house in large boxes on lights in an unused room. Mind you I'm only incubating 15-20 a week and am not large scale. My two boys and wife constantly carry these chicks around babying them. As a result they become just like pets. Pests almost. The wife has cats so we have cat doors and the birds come through the cat door and eat the cat food and such. Freaking birds all on the back porch roosting on the hot water heater etc. Point being it doesn't take much to make pets out of them. If you get birds that tend to turn manfighter best thing you can do is make chicken and dumplings.
    Even if you free range him catching and penning for short periods and letting the kids rub him should keep him tame.

6. Likes Shrek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was raised around game fowl. My children were raised around game fowl. My grandchildren are being raised around game fowl. Most game fowl will not attack a person or child. You just have to use a little sense and not have man fighters where they can attack a child. I found a good hard stick would cure any man fighter quickly.

8. Likes Shrek, Hoghunter, HomeCreek, cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuzzy Heath's son was out in the rooster yard as a toddler when they were messing with the roosters and one managed to peck his eyeball out ... my girl like dogs and chicks , but I still keep a close eye and don't take chances .

10. Likes Tobeau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If its a good calm rooster you should have no problems. I have 5 kids all of which have their own gamefowl. When the hens have chicks as long as the kids don’t try and grab the chicks you should not have a problem. I’m kinda like Lablue 3 generations being raised with them never a problem other than maybe bumps and bruises. Good luck once those chicks come your children are going to love them lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my boys love them but one is a little shy of the grown ones. See they love to streak. I mean you can't keep clothes on em. The oldest was just 5 and was out helping me in the garden. At this time I had some half Mugs that were running around and one was getting pretty good size. Like i said they are pretty much pets so the stag came walking up just to say hi when he saw what I imagine looked like a worm hanging from between my sons legs. Apparently he was hungry because he tried to snatch it off hahhaha. To this day when he gets close to one I see him putting his hand down there covering up.
    Traumatizing hahahha

13. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes Shrek, Hoghunter, Genis, GoldenDragon, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If a game has proven to not be a man fighter and gained your trust do you guys think they are still unpredictable? I’m trying to decide if the majority of time if he’ll be penned or trusted to mind his business free ranging with his hens and not running after a child because he might not recognize him as a human and more as a threat. I was thinking just raising one from young stag and having my son hold him everyday until he gets bigger. I’m more just worried about the peck in eye. My son likes to hold the chickens and feed them and our current rooster who is a old English game type of Bantam. But I guess I’m stressing if I should let my son hand feed the game fowls and hold them with out worrying of him getting a random unpredictable peck to eye.
    Last edited by tmisco; May 23rd, 2020 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 10 year old boy and a 6 year old girl, the boy won't hardly get close to grown chickens but loves the chicks and small ones. The girl I am teaching to hold roosters, starting with some round heads crosses as they are so gentle. The whole time they are with me in the yard I explain what the chickens are doing, what I am doing and what to expect. I also warn them to always be wary around the chickens. I never let them play outside by themselves, either mom, myself or the family dog (pitbull) is with them. It seems like I am always outside though. Don't take chances as you never know, stay close to them outside.

16. Likes Shrek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tmisco View Post
    If a game has proven to not be a man fighter and gained your trust do you guys think they are still unpredictable? I’m trying to decide if the majority of time if he’ll be penned or trusted to mind his business free ranging with his hens and not running after a child because he might not recognize him as a human and more as a threat. I was thinking just raising one from young stag and having my son hold him everyday until he gets bigger. I’m more just worried about the peck in eye. My son likes to hold the chickens and feed them and our current rooster who is a old English game type of Bantam. But I guess I’m stressing if I should let my son hand feed the game fowls and hold them with out worrying of him getting a random unpredictable peck to eye.
    Always teach them to keep their face away from the pecker.

18. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

***Posting for LaBlue***

Post Thanks / Like

*** Posting for LaBlue***

Post Thanks / Like

***Posting for LaBlue***

Post Thanks / Like

***Posting for LaBlue***

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Webby. These are. My grand children. All of them love my birds. And they have played with them all their life's.

24. Likes Ron-706, Shrek, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

WHEN my grandson was about 5 yrs old he took a liking
    to a grey rooster and he taught the grey to walk along
    side him in the farm and when they both get tired from
    all that walking and running my grand son would go to
    a vacant teepee crawl inside with the chicken and they
    would go to sleep... my grandson hugging the chicken.

nice looking grand kids lablue !!!!

26. Likes Ron-706, Shrek, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I’ve got a few. 4B993CEB-E0CA-43AB-85CE-BA074F60346B.jpgB7E7D071-00E0-4992-8D11-6B3AD3A85C33.jpgBAFB7FAB-913F-4921-886A-ED81B36AF804.jpg8A83ABC5-6316-4C06-AED0-E35CC639AD0A.jpg3ECDD245-A7FF-453A-8060-BA99F0BDD10A.jpgThis is just a few all are different cocks and little man helping water in the one pic. But after being held a few times you are generally ok but if you had a cocker near you. You could go and ask him or her to show you around and get a better idea tmisco.

28. Likes GoldenDragon, CA whitetoppy06, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Any animal around any child needs supervision. Never know when one may hurt the other. Kids can be the more dangerous of the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys this has eased my anixerty a bit. Well just like any animal just common sense and supervisor and teach them how to old them and keep their eyes far away from face just in case they get curious and think it’s something to peck at

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    Any animal around any child needs supervision. Never know when one may hurt the other. Kids can be the more dangerous of the two.
    I have found that out the hard way and could have been dangerous. My son was very lucky not to get injured badly.
    It was my son behavior that I think triggered the situation.
    Last edited by Thunda; May 24th, 2020 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have new gamefowls, at least 3, both are peckers but not shufflers. I always tell my grandkids which ones they are and never go near them. But I would tell them which they can pet and will not harm them.

34. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This one is gentle as a baby. His nest brother on the other hand hit my 6 yr old one time putting 2 small holes in his neck/head. But doesn't even peck me & my 13 yr old. Come to find out he had been hitting his cage with a stick. Long story short he doesn't do that anymore he learned his lesson. The rooster still hates him if he walks near him he will hit the wire everytime but gentle as a baby with everyone else.

36. Likes LaBlue, Bama71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanedude0000 View Post

This one is gentle as a baby. His nest brother on the other hand hit my 6 yr old one time putting 2 small holes in his neck/head. But doesn't even peck me & my 13 yr old. Come to find out he had been hitting his cage with a stick. Long story short he doesn't do that anymore he learned his lesson. The rooster still hates him if he walks near him he will hit the wire everytime but gentle as a baby with everyone else.
    What a coincidence, I had that same situation with my 3yr old boy. That before he was hit(cut below ear) by my rooster on tie cord, he was poking a stick in that rooster’s cage a day earlier and was pulling on the same rooster’s tail when he got hit. But my boy is a rascal that still find sticks to poke my roosters and sometimes roosters would kick their cages and my boy running and crying to me. And I would say to him, “who” he would point at all the roosters. The rooster that hit him looks identical with your but white legs.
    Last edited by Thunda; May 25th, 2020 at 01:29 AM.

38. Likes Shanedude0000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so wary specially with gamefowls with spurs uncut yet. That's better to be safe than sorry as they.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are calm and allowed to be held then they should be fine, Just be carefull becuase they like to peck at the eyes thinking its a bug.