Thread: New to game fowl. Looking for Advice on beginning

Post Thanks / Like

New to game fowl. Looking for Advice on beginning

Iím familiar with roosters and hens. Had some yard runners growing up. Iím looking to start a small flock of game fowl with one rooster. Whatís your guys routines for the birds? And set ups. I was thinking of building a fly pen for him. For keep is it ok to keep him in a coop with the ladies or should they be separate. I was thinking of free ranging him few days of the week, will the hens make him aggressive? When touching them or having my 3 year old handle the hens should the rooster be penned up ? Even if he has gained our trust and proven not to be a man fighter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to game fowl. Looking for Advice on beginning

if you only have the cock then i would open pen during day let him roam with hens then feed him in pen so he goes back into shut door at nite kinda like a farm walk

Post Thanks / Like

Should I separate him from hens? Is it possible one cock will get aggressive toward me and my kids touching hens? Or if he sees it from his pen will it build up aggressive? Or just Varys by the cock and I need to see how he feels ablut it?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you will not know for sure how he will act until you get him. I have had them that were very aggressive towards people or children no matter what and some that are just fine. It honestly just depends on rooster

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest raising chicks.... Thereʻs lots of good help on the this site should you run into any problems... Itʻs not that expensive and you could get a couple different line from the breeder. The kids will have fun and they might grow up to be very tame if you handle them a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not have a rooster lose or near young children’s. My mom one time took my 3yrs old son to play in the backyard and I have put some tame roosters on tie cords early that day. My son being a very,very rascal boy. Kept on pulling on one of the roosters tail. That shuffled my son face and had a small cut below his ear. My mom was just yelling at my rooster because she was afraid and I ran outside, to pickup my son crying and still being kick by my rooster.
    Thank God, he did not get hit in the eyes that could have been a life changing injury. I ended up killing that rooster, because my mom blamed it on me.
    I also did not put roosters on tie cords when I am not around or when my son is playing outside.
    Last edited by Thunda; May 24th, 2020 at 04:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The hens don't usually make a cock aggressive but you messing with his hens will quite often. Every bird is a little different. You can put him on a cord and free range the hens as long as no other roosters are around. First thing is to make the yard safe for your kids and the chickens. Always supervise children and animals of any kind. Best of luck
    Last edited by Hoghunter; May 24th, 2020 at 09:53 PM.

8. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would watch closely. My greys are calm as cucumbers after being tamed down. No problems through keep or giving shots or anything. But the aggression goes way up when hens are tossed in. For the most part no problems but every now and then they might get meaner trying to protect those hens. But it is his job should be ok once he gets used to it but at first make sure you are the one messing with the hens until he gets used to it and then introduce the kids. And your kids learn to. My kids know when and which ones are ok to mess with. But each blood line is different. I have a DMM broodcock that is everyone’s pet. My grandma is 84 and asks for me to go get him so she can hold him. Those mugs are that way my greys are somewhat gentle after being tamed but nothing like my mugs or red quill.

10. Likes Skincarver liked this post