Thread: cold feet / warm feet

Post Thanks / Like

cold feet / warm feet

Back in the day of puttin up roosters, how many of you all had their feet be cold then after a couple of days then feel like they are warm? i ve never really paid that much mind to it but so of the boys around used too worried bout,and go to throwing them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cold feet / warm feet

They usually cut good the colder the feet better I like them. Michael Ramsey always said that to me to Ennis told me that yrs ago

Post Thanks / Like

My father always felt their feet and put the ones with the coolest feet in the show.

4. Thanks dragpit thanked for this post
    Likes dragpit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wonder what causes that to happen, are they to dry or wet or feverish. its got me wondering , think im goin to check some of mine this evening and see how the feel,

Post Thanks / Like

it's about like exercising and your face getting hot ... aint no fever . They have a name for it . You carb load and pull water and they get flush but not from sickness fever . I get mine hot and dry the last few days a little , they cool off when they get empty and hydrated .

If you have a habit of pulling water , you are always gonna have em get hot some ... some are gonna need some water to digest food and until they do and get empty it can happen . My asil can be cool footed but after the first pitting you can feel their heart beating and their face and feet get hot but don't expect them to slow up or cut short ...

Post Thanks / Like

May depend on the weather too. Hard to believe they would have cool feet when the temperature is 95.

Post Thanks / Like

I was taught a cock with warm feet was stressed I dont really know but what I do know is the cool feet are the best to me

9. Likes gapman, RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never had any experience either way with warm or cold feet. There might be something to it though. I do have a few brood cocks with yellow color in their feet from this past winter, they still laying flat and walking good, but im sure its frost bite. lol, Im still learning but never thought of feet temps. Could be an advantage if true.

11. Likes gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he has cold feet and they are trembling when heeling, you have a pretty good chance of collecting that blue ribbon.

13. Likes cutcutcut, macraess, gapman, Birdderfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Warmer than normal feet always meant fever to me..............

Post Thanks / Like

Spring that's exactly what I think and have noticed when mine are on they tremble an cold feet especially when in line to the show

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gapman View Post
    Spring that's exactly what I think and have noticed when mine are on they tremble an cold feet especially when in line to the show
    I really dont think trembling feet means anything good. Could just be my birds. Anything out of THEIR NORM concerns me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    I really dont think trembling feet means anything good. Could just be my birds. Anything out of THEIR NORM concerns me.
    He’s not talking nessarilly about the feet their whole body trembles. And they are awesome. It does not happen all the time but when they do I believe that they are truly on point. In my opinion.

18. Likes Liberty Hill, gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It may just be my birds or me but when they go to trembling all over they seem to lose so I figured I messed them up and let them go over.

20. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama71 View Post
    Hes not talking nessarilly about the feet their whole body trembles. And they are awesome. It does not happen all the time but when they do I believe that they are truly on point. In my opinion.
    i know what he means. Ive not noticed any advantage. Like I said, anything outside of their norm Id be concerned with.

Post Thanks / Like

The trembling of the feet or body is when the rooster is producing high amounts of adrenaline. This is the chemical that is produced when the rooster is "on point".

23. Likes cutcutcut, Liberty Hill, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spring creek View Post
    It may just be my birds or me but when they go to trembling all over they seem to lose so I figured I messed them up and let them go over.
    . I'd say definitely time to peck them. But that being said I have lost very few when they are in that state.

25. Likes cutcutcut, Liberty Hill, gapman, Bama71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i went through and checked a few of mine yesturday and they felt cool to the touch .got also 80 here today and come a good hard rain now the humidityis bad so we 'll see if it makes much of a diffrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hybernation and lack of feed will eventually get them to that shivering stage as I call it, to me it has to do with the forced thermogenic we put on them. It very well could be the adrenalin dump but hell Im no scientist so I cld be wrong lol. I dont mind it but not all of mine got there though. I think its best to get them on the rise and not too long (an hour) after they are at that shivering stage as you may then see bad results (go over) as some have had and they may need a peck to sustain them. On the rise or front end of the shiver is when theyll be the most savage for their feed and territory.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; May 29th, 2020 at 06:14 AM.

28. Likes gapman, MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really like them cold feet from my experience they don't move as fast as warm feet. when they are cold I feed them my pointing cream and they recover from cold to normal warm I have some videos in my fb to know what I'm talking about...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...sn=mo&d=n&vh=i

30. Likes Sig1911, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen em' calm heeling and quivering when pitted and it was awesome . But vibrating when heeling didn't work for me and they sure weren't near being over i don't think . I know if it's adrenaline or you get excited and shaking before a fist fight then you better pray the other guy is as jittery as you or you gonna wake up wondering where you are at .

There's just too many variables and ways fowl react to stuff ... some fowl might need the jitters to get moving , some might burn out like that ... same as all the things that seem opposite but both work . You can have good fowl and a keep that works great in spite of some things just as much as it is because of something .

32. Likes MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I showed in a 3 Cock one time had all 3 quivering and never got past 1st pitting. With 3 different breeds. But I do agree it could be different from Cock to Cock or from keep to keep. I’m no scientist either. What is funny is it was my first show after a 10 year break. I know it was begginers luck cause I’ve not had them as sharp since. I’ve had a couple viberating since but not the whole show. So I don’t know either. This is just my experience.

34. Likes MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember heeling cocks at the pit and when you had them in your hands, it was almost like the had swallowed a vibrator. I always took that to be a good thing, it meant they knew it was derby day and ready to get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked for my cock's feet to be cool, at least at show time.