Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CULLING Mentality.

Post Thanks / Like

CULLING Mentality.

Maybe it is just me. But I hate it. Hate to even hurt a fly or a mosquito or any living thing. They deserve this world too. Let Nature Cull. Survivor of the fittest? They kill I kill?

But donít sell it. Maybe make it you soup or your bbq but killing and throw or bury it?
    What is your method of culling?

Is it same as abortion? Tell me more.

A lot of feathers to ruffle. But I donít fit and that is the best of me!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CULLING Mentality.

If you hate culling so much then why are you into gamefowl in the first place.
    Last edited by Disciple; May 31st, 2020 at 02:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When we men dont understand something or it gives us issues, first instinct is to just cut out the unknown, get rid of it asap or even ignore it. Cull is a huge part of the process yes but it could also be a learning moment and it shld be. There s a reason we have had knowledge handed down especially from old school men that were doing this before the internet. They figured things out, gave it it a valiant effort to acquire and grow. There s always something to take from a situation, good or bad. You cant read it and just go on that, you have to walk it. I like to learn from things, otherwise its a wasted opportunity and one that I may encounter down the road or destined to repeat. If I do encounter it again, Ill know alot about it. Thats just my mind and how its wired, what others prefer is their way and thats fine too. Ive just never been one to throw it in and not have a better understanding afterwards than before I made that decision. I havent seen it all and never will but Ive seen some things and if Ive crossed that bridge already then Ill be well informed about it shld it come around again. Sure I cld easily just cull at a whim too, its not a pleasure but thats not a problem either. I dont get many culls and outside elements usually do the culling for me anyway. One thing Im set on is I will not sacrifice the whole in attempt to save a fraction of it.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; May 31st, 2020 at 02:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KING OF NOTHING View Post
    Maybe it is just me. But I hate it. Hate to even hurt a fly or a mosquito or any living thing. They deserve this world too. Let Nature Cull. Survivor of the fittest? They kill I kill?

But donít sell it. Maybe make it you soup or your bbq but killing and throw or bury it?
    What is your method of culling?

Is it same as abortion? Tell me more.

A lot of feathers to ruffle. But I donít fit and that is the best of me!
    Well, sounds like an easy choice for U. Raise parakeets.

Post Thanks / Like

Chicken's of all breeds are brutal to each other. Most of the culling is getting rid of fowl that the others have injured. Or nature has faulted in some way. The goal is to raise the best possible example of the fowl you have chosen. If you breed only the most perfect fowl you should have to cull less each generation. They should come more uniform each generation. As long as you keep the same standards. Culling is a necessary part of this process. I turn my hens out to free range after I get what I want so I also have yardhatch to cull. Most of them are given away. Some people like to have chickens run the yard but don't protect them from predators so they get more every year to feed the foxes in the area.

6. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Believe it or not. I donít care but I am winning. I donít culls. Maybe for a soup as young as 3-4 mos. those that canít stand or sick. But those that have ability to fight. I give them their due at the pit. Maybe as early as 6-8 mos.

Hitler Culls. Christian culls. Muslim culls. Bullies culls. They different?
    Mentally and Challenge Kids? Different? Tell me more.

Post Thanks / Like

One mans trash is another mans treasure. Years ago me and a buddy would go by James McDaniels place there at the bbq joint. We had a standing deal with him. He would put up a big show about double what he needed. Then eliminate all the ones he didnt like as much and keep the best of the group for use in the pit. We got these for 100 bucks a piece. Preconditioned ready to go but not the ones he wanted to take with him for an entry. I won a truck load of money off those culls. It took 2 years before the local guys caught on. Wed strike up a conversation. Then get around to bragging etc and then lay down a challenge for hack fights. We won about 70 percent that way. Most of theirs was last minute just off the string and or out of the pen. Ours had been through keep. I remember once being at a small pit outside Winfield and we had entered with a whole show of those culls. I went up against James and beat him with his own chicken lol He was a great guy. He found it quite amusing.

I like a particular attitude and particular style of fight in mine. If they dont meet my scrutiny then theyll get gifted to a beginner or I'll let them go against each other just to see how it plays out.

I cull anything that is sickly. Anything that's weak. And anything I dont intend to use. I dont play chicken doctor. Sick...cull. Cross pullets get put back and I have a big bbq for friends and cook a dozen. The rest get put in the freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

King of nothing, don’t put that madman in the same category as a “Gamefowl Breeder”

if you raise Gamefowl I don’t care if you win or lose or don’t show.. you’re labeled a breeder.. if you’re taking two or more individuals and breeding them to who you e picked for their mate you’re a breeder (doesn’t mean a good one) so if culling is wrong than why is it ok to Dictate who mates with who? Lol because

we are the Human and we have our Goal.. and sometimes Culling certain individuals is necessary to achieve such a goal just as breeding of certain individuals to eachother is to reach that goal..

now I will say this.. whether it’s wrong or right I believe it to be true.. and I’m positive I’m guilty of it too.. that Many Good to Great birds have been culled by ignorance.. just as many have not been culled due to ignorance.. it’s like them folks that walk on a cable.. to far either way you lose your balance and will fall.. you give and take a little but when something is way off cull it..

and after years of this like a lot of the people on here.. you will achieve knowledge in knowing anything out of form isn’t worth the time in the program for the goal set.. but for people starting out we have a lot more leniency due to lack of knowledge or understanding and many times ruin a line because we selected wrong or didn’t cull enough.. or culled to much...

the Preservation of Gamefowl.. what’s the best way.. there is no best way.. the best way is only when and if years go by and your Breed of Gamefowl still exist but more than that Thrive..

copy none but listen to all for everyone has something to offer.. whether it’s what not to do or it’s what to do.. Or in the middle because we’re at different places reaching for goals that may not even be the same.. some want it now some want it tomorrow..

but let’s not start comparing Free Men raising Gamefowl to “Stalin or Hitler” or Hussein for that matter or that if Idi amin

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not. I donít care but I am winning. I donít culls. Maybe for a soup as young as 3-4 mos. those that canít stand or sick. But those that have ability to fight. I give them their due at the pit. Maybe as early as 6-8 mos.

Are you serious? What does mans inhumanity to each other have anything to do with a Cocker culling inferior birds. 6 to 8 months is a little young donít you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I knew a cocker that fought often and owned the pit. One of the referee's would help him with chores etc. The ref would get his culls. Now that doesn't mean sick, jacked up, blinkers it means when they selected to go into a keep they just didn't cut it for whatever reason. I know of multiple times the ref was in the money or won the derby even when the guy he got them from had an entry.
    Theres a vast difference between the scenario described and not culling to even get to that point.
    But to each his own. You can spend your money on whatever you want so you can lose your money on whatever you want. Hell i'm guilty. Got some eggs and only hatched two. One pullet and one stag. Pullet had a splayed out leg and I tried everything I could to raise that pullet to get some eggs off of her all to no avail.

12. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not. I don’t care but I am winning. I don’t culls. Maybe for a soup as young as 3-4 mos. those that can’t stand or sick. But those that have ability to fight. I give them their due at the pit. Maybe as early as 6-8 mos.

humans and animals are not on the same level. King of stupid

14. Likes DPotter, Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You say you don't cull and then it's any that have the ability. What do you think culling is. We all keep the ones with ability. They are what we are after duh.

16. Likes Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunny huggers are here. Theirs been more post with dumb topics by new people lately. Fishing..........

Post Thanks / Like

yeah bud why did you waste 5 yrs on here if you hate gamfowl we lovem
    through thic an thin its not just our fowl its our friends and comunity

19. Likes Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I smell a rat of the highest order. You bring Hitler and religion into the conversation, youre fishing for something. Begone!

21. Likes richardself liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't cull a lot. But if one has a defect or is droopy and lagging behind no problem.. Even if one spars really bad such as trying to bill hold or perhaps other things. But crossed pullets and yard hatch pullets go in the freezer. We all need to keep our flocks free from freeloaders and non useful fowl. Oh I forgot my number 1 pet peeve. Man fighters can not live here.

23. Likes LoneWolf, Bama71, Hoghunter, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Bunny huggers are here. Theirs been more post with dumb topics by new people lately. Fishing..........
    That was my exact thought also Fishy......

Post Thanks / Like

If u think killing a chicken is the same as killing an unborn baby u r morally fu*ked up. U should find something else to do in life if u hate to kill a mosquito, I hate that they ain't all dead. I think u should put on a P3TA shirt and go out and march with those tards, u got more in common with them than us.

26. Likes 931_Gamefarm, Bama71, cutcutcut, Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy King..

An opportunity for you... In the Thread here ďTurn AwayĒ , looks like some 3-4 year old Kelso Cocks are gonna be culled. These Kelso cocks are so mad or just hate Red roosters. Talk to tinalupan(the owner) if you can have/save them. They might add some more in your ďWĒ record.

Post Thanks / Like

I get no satisfaction from raising a chicken just to cull it .. Or slacking on care so I have to axe a sick one . Few fowl really are good enough to breed , I can get 15 -20 stags from a good hen so I just try to cull matings more than chicks

But still , I cull more than I keep . I go in with the aspect of everything is getting culled unless they do something to stay .. Not keeping everything unless they are total junk . They get sparring age and anything I don't think is ace level gets culled . Sure , some nice ones go that could win but I do t care to even see that ... If its potential brood fowl , I keep even less .. They gotta be ace level and extra in physique and such ... If a stag can't whip his sure outta the brood pen , why feed him ..

29. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

I think we will never weed them out, of sites like this. Since this is the last true GAME SITE standing, I don't think they are willing to give up anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Culling should be quick. Young stags and pullets, I can spin their neck and be done in about a half second. I once tried to spin an old brood cock and had to go get the axe out of the shed. I learned my lesson to prepare and have an axe ready for them tough old birds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Good Question Disciple. But a better question might be what's the best place for the KING to fit in.

Raising GAMEFOWL is not easy, but maybe you could become the king of rehab. Their was a young lady that ran a farm back east, that would rehab (confiscated) roosters. Her gift was to teach roosters to get along with the other farm chickens. She did real good, out 30 some GAMECOCKS, see ended up with one ROOSTER that lived out on the edge of the farm, with out fighting. Even if the rooster was the only one to make the grade, I think its amazing that was able to have that kind success.

Post Thanks / Like

Raising or even dealing with game fowl is not for the lazy man. Culling is for the sick, deformed, runners, and man fighters and they are not wasted.

34. Likes avalos1991, Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Culling is an indispensable part of selection. Without proper and strict selection there is no way one can maintain, moreso improve a family of fowl. Culling is a necessity in this hobby.

Anything below your standard is a cull.
    Last edited by trans13; June 1st, 2020 at 12:48 PM.

36. Likes Hoghunter, cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Culling for congenital deformities that affect ability and game issues is a given, that goes without saying West Tx. Culling also goes alot deeper than what you mentioned, depending on whatever bar the owner has set. But you gonna say youve never ever tried to heal a sick bird? One that has been awesome for you and maybe ate some bacteria after a prolonged rainfall or a bad piece of feed?? I dont think thats the case for anyone and thats what I mean by trying to learn from it before simply giving it the crank. I think not putting at least a minor effort forth to acquire knowledge is the true lazy by not making the most of a situation. Let me clarify, the knowledge to know how to cure simple things that can ruin a bird for example that makes you even more well rounded. It sure isnt for the lazy I agree and l guarantee there isnt anybody here that will out work me, maybe few will keep up but outwork is a negative. There have been some days where I lost patience when I wished I wouldnt have. Man fighter culling is highly subjective.. A man gets pecked and cries about it like a lil girl, give me a break but they call that manfighter where I see it as a freakin gamecock that youre gonna have to earn his settling down. Its a challenge and many dont do well there, they arent too keen about it. Anyone can raise a chicken, Ive seen plenty of fat, lazy idiots do it but work ethic, commitment, dedication, common sense and if you have the ability to retain thats even better but all that is what separates the masses. One thing I learned abt eye color being a deformity and no good other than the so called deep red is that its absolute bullsht. Eye color has nothing to do with ability and had I listened to unsubstantiated opinions like many do without checking it out for myself, Id of wasted alot of good birds that were a pleasure and won for me. Just one example for you about potentially foolish waste when youre so quick to axe beyond the necessary situations you mentioned.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; June 1st, 2020 at 12:42 PM.

38. Likes Quapaw Kid, Bama71, cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. You all is right. We are different from animals. Becoz only we “ kill at a distance”. I ask my son not to castrate his dog. He just laughed at me and says” but you fight ur chickens” I say it’s different. Maybe. Or Is it?
    all lives matters. We’re in chaos and lotting. People angry because of people.
    Peace to all. I only ask questions for reflections but grown men can not handle the truth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bazsdmeg2u View Post
    Culling should be quick. Young stags and pullets, I can spin their neck and be done in about a half second. I once tried to spin an old brood cock and had to go get the axe out of the shed. I learned my lesson to prepare and have an axe ready for them tough old birds.
    Back in the day I seen ole call Cock run guy spun him around like that then tossed him aside as soon as the ole boy walked away he Cock stood and crowed. So the guy chases him for a few minutes spins him around again and again throws him down as soon as the Cock hits the ground he takes off again. I’m mean the guy is chasing him again. The guy was doing it hard to he wasn’t being gentle. But it ended up happening 4 times we were all rolling and each time the ole Cock was harder to catch. But it was like the cock was playing possum until the guy got a few feet from him.

41. Likes bazsdmeg2u liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. You all is right. We are different from animals. Obviously, we are. We are at the top of the food chain. What is it that others do not understand? I do not even have to bring the Bible in this conversation for us to understand that animals were created for humans. To be used, to be consumed by humans, and anything useful. Abuse is out of this conversation. Yes we have to respect life. That's fundamental. But everything has a purpose. ... Becoz only we “ kill at a distance”. I am sure if the animals could use guns they sure would kill at a distance. If our roosters could use guns, I wouldn't be in the shows hahahaha! This argument "only we “ kill at a distance”" is really "amusing" and funny to me hahaha! Where did this come from? ... I ask my son not to castrate his dog. He just laughed at me and says” but you fight ur chickens” I say it’s different. Maybe. Or Is it? I definitely agree with your son. I hope you understood what you were saying here. You simply don't impose your will to others when you are doing the same exact things. Just do your thing and let others be. ...
    all lives matters. You seem to be a naturalist. You should not be in game chickens hobby. It conflicts with your ideals. We’re in chaos and lotting. People angry because of people. We are in chaos because others cannot just stop sticking their dirty noses in to others' businesses. I just wish we could just live and let live. I am talking about people and people here, not animals and humans.
    Peace to all. I only ask questions for reflections but grown men can not handle the truth.

It is natural that people will react to something extreme, deviant from the norms, and different from their own beliefs and practices. But the thing is, if you enjoy what you are doing just keep doing it, as long as it doesn't bother other people.

43. Likes Hoghunter, Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trans13 View Post
    It is natural that people will react to something extreme, deviant from the norms, and different from their own beliefs and practices. But the thing is, if you enjoy what you are doing just keep doing it, as long as it doesn't bother other people.
    And also to just word of mouth, not so extreme.
    SF

45. Likes trans13 liked this post