Thread: Angle of the natural spur

Post Thanks / Like

Angle of the natural spur

Lots of talk about gaff points and all. put has anybody ever studied the angle of the natural spur. The stories are told about someone tied the gaff on backwards and cut you to death or that spraddle leg rooster that cut like the dickens. Now why would that be?

I recently held down two roosters feet on a piece of white rubber roofing and marked the angle of the natural spur and the middle toe. I found, on these two particular roosters, about a 15 to 20 degree angle difference. One came out further to the rear of the prop toe than the other. We all talk about point height and drop but not much about the gaff set. I'm going to study it further. I thought about trying to make some sort of jig to determine spur angle (front to back) and start healing according to that. In other words, make them all spraddle legs as far as cut goes.

Sure would add another dimension to the heeling process.

Any d(original) thoughts on this?

ez

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Angle of the natural spur

I always attached mine according to the alignment of the natural spur etc. It can be done 99 percent of the time by how you attach the heels. Usually with the wrap under the heel etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the build of cocks back when gaff makers first made em' ... lots of broad cocks , their legs didn't come outta the same hole so if they have a leg on either side of you and swing for the middle .. typical set works . You get a high stationed cock with his legs right next to one another and put heels on them with much set and they are pointing away from the center of the body .. comical .

The set of the spur don't matter ... fowl are bred with that connection . But with anything that involves leverage , lifting ,etec .. basic physics apply . Use your body mass to align with the head of a big grinder - don't twist your body and have no mass driving it ... and so forth with all power tools . Same with gaff ... line it up with the tendon , knee and where the leverage is coming from ... and consider how they swing for the set .

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone seems to take for granted that all birds shoot the same way. They dont. Thats a clue.

5. Likes BostonMurphy, Bama71, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen some cocks hook and hold with there left spur and go in and out with there right.
    Some reach out with both, stick and pull both back to them at the same time. Then pushing out forward, then repeat as fast as he can.
    Seen one that would reach out and stick both then start a sawing motion with both trying to keep the force going in while pulling backward and pushing forward as fast as he can.
    Single stoke of course is in and out with both as fast as he can usually alternating sides.

Knowing you’re birds style will help you also.

7. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogeroleo View Post
    I’ve seen some cocks hook and hold with there left spur and go in and out with there right.
    Some reach out with both, stick and pull both back to them at the same time. Then pushing out forward, then repeat as fast as he can.
    Seen one that would reach out and stick both then start a sawing motion with both trying to keep the force going in while pulling backward and pushing forward as fast as he can.
    Single stoke of course is in and out with both as fast as he can usually alternating sides.

Knowing you’re birds style will help you also.
    Thx for this post, because I have seen the same thing in lh, holding the hang with left and flopping with intent to drive that right leg..I also truly beleave that the angle of the natural spur on a cock is his mental point. A fully developed spur on a mature cock is deadly to his technic of fight no matter style or breed. JMO

9. Likes BostonMurphy, rogeroleo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have that much experience. I certainly wouldn't call myself an oldtimer though I've had what I consider a good education in cocking. Back in the day I've pitted and won a few in LH, SH and LK. I've tied quite a few LH, SH and socket LK's on and I guess my inexperience just doesn't let me understand how the spur is set etc matters. With all the heels I have they are set basically the same off the socket and you set the leathers square with the leg. I guess if you want something different you pick a different heel but I have 20 or so pair and they all come off the socket set for left and right. None of mine are low, all are medium and a few high which looking at them you wouldn't think would cut at all but on a low station butcher cuts like a drunk at a dance. BUT, you set them all square to the leg and tie them on. What is being used that has adjustment in the gaff game, and if there is why didn't the 10 or so oldtimers I came up under tie anything but socket gaffs whether the spur was 40 degrees or 55 degrees off the leg? I've pitted cocks with spurs behind the prop toe to spurs that are close to 80 degrees. All could cut.

Post Thanks / Like

For G , I like a spur that cuts right through the middle between prop and next toe, Sk a spur back towards the prop.
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Folks, you ever wonder why socket gaffs and socket knives comes in 12 O’clock, 11 O’clock, no drop, 1/2 inch drop, full drop, etc....? That right there would tell you all about the natural angle of the spur, and its position as to how far it is from the prop toe.

13. Likes don128 liked this post