Thread: What age can I worm with lye oats

Post Thanks / Like

What age can I worm with lye oats

How old do youngsters have to be before itís ok to worm with lye oats. I use them just never gave them to chicks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What age can I worm with lye oats

I read that Dawn dish soap works for worming . I put some in their water m seemed to have pepped em up and reddened their heads .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    I read that Dawn dish soap works for worming . I put some in their water m seemed to have pepped em up and reddened their heads .
    Yes I was the one who posted using Dawn. But I need to know when can youngsters handle lye oats.......

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend waiting until they are at least 50 years old before using lye. Until then try worming with wormer. Believe it or not it works and is much safer.

5. Thanks bazsdmeg2u thanked for this post
    Likes RHman1026 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    How much of Dawn soap do you put in the water? Iíve used it to bath fowl as it kills everything on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoghunter Did you mean 50 years?
    lol I got a kick outta that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah
    I just don't understand people trying to use toxic things on their fowl, when products are available for the intended purpose. To many things can happen and most are bad.

9. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    I recommend waiting until they are at least 50 years old before using lye. Until then try worming with wormer. Believe it or not it works and is much safer.
    Hey, just trying to get an honest answer, no need for sarcasm. I only use lye once a year and donít over worm my birds. I worm 3 to 4 times a year alternating with valbazen, ivermectin, soap, and lye oats. Iím 57 yrs old and always looking to hear what others have to say, were here to learn from each other and show respect while doing so. So thank you for your advice.......
    Last edited by Disciple; June 7th, 2020 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried lye oats once and had a good Cock die not long after...
    That's why I only tried it once.
    To each their own but I'm with Hoghunter.
    Why chance it?

Post Thanks / Like

Disciple, if mixed properly it wont hurt them at all , even at 6 weeks old . teaspoon to gallon water . So keep in mine this came from a doctor lols !

13. Thanks bazsdmeg2u thanked for this post
    Likes Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcreek View Post
    Disciple, if mixed properly it wont hurt them at all , even at 6 weeks old . teaspoon to gallon water . So keep in mine this came from a doctor lols !
    Thank you good to know................................

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I know from experience of losing very expensive animals and huge vet bills, under dosing and rotating wormers soon puts you in the place where no wormer is effective. Give the proper dose. Use the correct wormers. Use a vet to tell you what kind of worms you are dealing with. There are usually more than one kind. Vets are not near as expensive as losing prize cocks and hens or not being able to raise more than a very few chicks. Use one wormer till it quits working,then swap to one that has a different chemical base. I learned I could not use SafeGard on any thing without multiple wormings very close together. Too much time and labor for this. Some times we worm too much. A vet and a few fecal samples will tell if you need to worm. Don't go on what you think you know. A good poultry vet is your friend. I learned a lot when I started using a vet and it helped in the pit.
    Last edited by RHman1026; June 7th, 2020 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Doc robinson used lye to worm his birds and he was a medical doctor. I am 70 and when my wife stayed with her grandmother when she was 10-12 years old she seen her grandmother worm her laying hens with lye many times with no problems. She would place whole corn in a row on the ground and put lye on top for them to eat. I am sure some hens got a lot more than needed.in the 30-40 's there was nothing to kill tape worms in hogs except lye . I was not sure about it at first , but mixed with soaked oats all i see is positive results for my birds.. I rotate it with other wormers. At 2 months i start using it like a treat for a couple hours and increase as they get older. A lot of people in ky. Have used it in soaked oats for many, many years and still do ! It seems when you do use properly that their heads will be a good strawberry red color.

17. Likes Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the Dr. i was referring to lols , Dr. E. E. Robinson . the above is his mixture amount

Post Thanks / Like

I am not opposed to using soaked oats/lye for grown fowl occasionally to worm with. Normally, when I used it I fed it to everything on my place in the early spring before I had chicks on the yard and after the moult. I know it helps but never knew exactly how effective it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I use lye and always will. From the end of October to the end of May, every three to four weeks. Lye/oats October,November and May. Table spoon to the gallon and let it soak over night, sometimes two nights. Lye/cracked corn December - April, Table spoon to the gallon, let soak for five nights and another gallon lye/water on the third night. I feed it to everything 6 weeks and older. I put two fluid ounces to a quart of water for everything one week to five weeks old. On everything 6 weeks and older I skip feeding the day before worming. June through September I feed hog worming pellets daily, at 5% of my yard feed. If you keep the worms out of them and the mites off of them, hardy ever do you have to deal with anything else. Everyone has their on way and I’m just sharing mine. Good luck to all!

21. Likes Genis, LaBlue, blackman, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used lye since my dad died. But he always fed all the adult fowl a oat soaked in red devil lye once maybe twice a year. Seems they truely blossomed after a lye Worming..

23. Likes gaff, Liberty Hill liked this post