Thread: ? for people who know about SK

Post Thanks / Like

? for people who know about SK

I show in mexico where its legal, but im still learing, I dont really have anybody to teach me so i was wanting to ask those who have had experience in SK, Talking about SKnife lines 1-7, does the higher the line mean the rooster will cut easier since its taller? usually people around here use 3 & 4 lines. I attached a picture of the Guadana knife 2-7 lines. Ive done alot of research in old txt and some youtube videos, but cant really seem to understand the forumula for the best advantage. i also attached a picture of the boot i use the most.

2. Likes bazsdmeg2u, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ? for people who know about SK

La Guadana aka Grim Reaper are to me a pattern that is very effective and preferred using them over all others. To me its a much improved version of the half moon. I think I used an 8 : 13 or 10 : 13 boot, cant remember but it resembled your ventajosa in the pic. Each line is 1/16th of an inch above 1 inch, so 4 lines equals a blade that is 1 and quarter inches long. Theoretically speaking, the longer the blade the more internal damage and reach so dont use a 3 line and let others use a 5 or above right. That number 7 looks good, its almost an inch and a half long and it should be over real quick lol.
    Best wishes down there Padilla
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; June 28th, 2020 at 01:13 PM.

4. Thanks Mach 1 Padilla thanked for this post
    Likes lurena, bazsdmeg2u, Mach 1 Padilla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of what I have been seeing outside of Mexico lately is everyone is using very large SK if u don't have 7 lines or around there you are gonna have trouble matching blades before tying....there is no one inch SK around my area anymore but in Mexico they still keep it at one inch I believe and one line above is max from what I hear

6. Likes Barakah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cjm_6guns View Post
    Most of what I have been seeing outside of Mexico lately is everyone is using very large SK if u don't have 7 lines or around there you are gonna have trouble matching blades before tying....there is no one inch SK around my area anymore but in Mexico they still keep it at one inch I believe and one line above is max from what I hear
    Yes they keep it strict at one line in the bigger derbies and thats good. It keeps the game honest and doesnt turn it into a mini LK lol.
    SF

8. Thanks Cjm_6guns thanked for this post
    Likes Cjm_6guns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd throw that boot away and get a level boot. Can't say if they knives r good or bad, best way to tell is to see how they have an edge after a quick win.

Post Thanks / Like

I too liked the longer 7 or 6, if your rooster is pushing and pulling they are deadly. I liked the grim reaper also.

11. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The longer the knife the deeper the cut. We call the 6 and above lines the Medium knife since it's about in between sk and lk. When i think of advantage in your question i think about first cut advantage. If you really want an advantage use a steeper boot with a recta knife. Try measuring the tip of the knife on a flat or lower angle boot against a steep boot and you'll see the advantage with the same sized knife.

13. Thanks Cjm_6guns thanked for this post
    Likes Cjm_6guns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Helping these competitions move a lil quicker outside of Mexico is one reason the knifes are in the 7 lines range you can't have large amount of entrys and hold the rounds up with long drag fights gotta get the show started and move on with the rest of your day....it's way too hot now a days to have a competition last all day due to drag fight after drag fight if the birds are not cutting well on the weekends if you catch my drift...other factors include return on your investment being able to sharpen the sky multiple times and not going below an inch for a few occasions