Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Yard Flock Worming

  
  1. #1
    Member peter g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Yard Flock Worming

    What do you guys use on your young birds on the yard, running around the woods etc?
    I've been using Wazine in drinking water, but that only takes care of a few worms.
    I mostly use Safegaurd for my grown bird down the throat but of course I can catch them.
    Most worming posts are on schedules, changing up etc and I get that but am looking for good worming techniques for large numbers of loose birds up in the trees, grape vines, elderberries etc.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    I use hog worming pellets, everyday. Replace half the layer pellets, with worming pellets. Feed it to all my young ones running loose.
    Last edited by Liberty Hill; June 30th, 2020 at 12:26 AM.

  3. Likes cutcutcut, peter g, Al Sanchez, LaBlue liked this post
  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    If they are every where, then some maybe getting enough to eat , but they have to get to water. If so., use prohibit @ 1/4 teaspoon for each gallon of water. Quail size worm for one day 2 days as they get older and 3 days for adults.

  5. Likes peter g liked this post
  6. #4
    Member peter g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Hill View Post
    I use hog worming pellets, everyday. Replace half the layer pellets, with worming pellets. Feed it to all my young ones running loose.
    I guess no problems with getting them to eat them?

  7. #5
    Senior Member leonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Guanajuato
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    mine wouldn't hardly touch the hog pellets ended up giving away the rest of the bag to a friend who only feeds pellets. his ate them no problem

  8. #6
    Member peter g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    mine wouldn't hardly touch the hog pellets ended up giving away the rest of the bag to a friend who only feeds pellets. his ate them no problem
    Yeah I don't feed pellets. I bought some safegaurd pellets for horses and turkeys and so far they won't touch them. I'm going to skip a feeding and try again mixed with some straight pellets to see if they'll eat them.

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    ky
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    When the weather is hot and dry seems mine won't eat dry pellets very good. I put my pellets in a bucket and add soaked oats, corn and water from soaked oats enough to make a good wet slop feed. I feed it next day. I believe you might have success getting them to eat the wormer pellets by wetting them till slop consistency

  10. #8
    Member peter g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    Quote Originally Posted by catfish1947 View Post
    When the weather is hot and dry seems mine won't eat dry pellets very good. I put my pellets in a bucket and add soaked oats, corn and water from soaked oats enough to make a good wet slop feed. I feed it next day. I believe you might have success getting them to eat the wormer pellets by wetting them till slop consistency
    I'll give it a try after I hold a day back on them. I feed soaked oats to the yard fowl every day anyhow plus scratch so soaking them all will probably do it. They prefer the oats so maybe they'll get the broken down pellets also with them.

  11. #9
    Senior Member FIRE-RITE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    Quote Originally Posted by peter g View Post
    What do you guys use on your young birds on the yard, running around the woods etc?
    I've been using Wazine in drinking water, but that only takes care of a few worms.
    I mostly use Safegaurd for my grown bird down the throat but of course I can catch them.
    Most worming posts are on schedules, changing up etc and I get that but am looking for good worming techniques for large numbers of loose birds up in the trees, grape vines, elderberries etc.
    What Iíve used before is Bastenero Plus and Prohibit which is Levamisole....the Bastenero has levamisole and one other wormer in it.....All mine are on the loose like yours.....these are water soluble wormers too

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yard Flock Worming

    Quote Originally Posted by peter g View Post
    what do you guys use on your young birds on the yard, running around the woods etc?
    I've been using wazine in drinking water, but that only takes care of a few worms.
    I mostly use safegaurd for my grown bird down the throat but of course i can catch them.
    Most worming posts are on schedules, changing up etc and i get that but am looking for good worming techniques for large numbers of loose birds up in the trees, grape vines, elderberries etc.
    safe guard 10% liquid: 3 ml/gallon of water or you can use ivermectin 1% : 4 ml/ gallon of water as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •