Thread: Ants

Post Thanks / Like

Ants

Looking for advice on how to get rid of ants in pen. I have one pen that recently was invaded by ants. I’ve tried the bait stations that are supposed to kill the whole colony plus the Queen wich stopped a lot of them but not completely. Used vinegar and Dawn dish soap and none worked. What about DE has anyone used it, I may buy some if it works. Thanks

2. Likes GoldenDragon liked this post
    CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ants

I have been having the same problems... I have all kinds
    of ants... help please !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about everyone? What kind of ants y'all have? We have fire ants. They reproduce like crazy. They hard to kill. And it's a constant battle. The powder I use is quite expensive but hasn't hurt my fowl and if I'll hit the hills once a month I keep them at bay. If you were tied in a fire ant hill you wouldn't last. Long and you'd be happy to pass in just a couple minutes.

5. Likes GoldenDragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always said a big fire ant bed would stop alot of crime get caught stealing hand in the ant hill molestest kids you know what in the ant hill stop alot of stuff

7. Likes GoldenDragon, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can get malathion or sevin or anything similar, it will solve your problem with ants. I knew Lowe's and Home Depot garden sections have those before. I am not sure if either store still has those. Malathion and sevin are safe for big animals including chickens. We are using them on our dogs and chickens to get rid of ticks, fleas, and other external parasites. Ants don't stand a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Orthene powder can be found a Lowe's or Home Depot. Tobacco farmers have used it since the 50's that I know of. The generic brand is just as effective. Simply sprinkle some on top of the mound and the worker ants take it to the queen as feed. The entire colony eats it and die within 24 hours. You should watch for smaller mounds afterwards as some of the eggs hatch and the queens among them attempt to start new mounds. Its the best ant poison on the market.

10. Likes LaBlue, trans13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in no way promoting use if this product in this manner as it is off label use... Taurus SC , contains fipronil 9.1 % . applied at 4 oz per acre will keep yards free of fire aunts and other insects. Application last about two years. Has had no I'll effects on birds. Mix and apply with sprayer pulled with atv. Can be purchased from Amazon 78 oz about $105. Hope this is useful.

12. Thanks Hoghunter, LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes trans13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sevins dust is what I use around my nest Boxes to keep Fire ants and any other kind of bugs away from hatching eggs in a nest box. I sprinkle a Ring around the outside of nest boxes and never have a problem with ants..

Post Thanks / Like

I use johnson babypowder it sometimes work and let them have some kind of cancer the buggers. LOL

15. Likes country liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a 20 pound bag of DE from Tractor Supply today and sprinkled it were the ants are congregating and it seems to be working so will see

Post Thanks / Like

Fire ants are a pain. You can only chase them around most of the time. to have any real effect on them you have to treat a minimum of 1/2 acre. They have tunnels 50 to 100 feet long and multiple queens. That said you have to do something so when you are putting bait on the mound place a drop pen over the baited area to keep the chickens out of the bait. As soon as a hen hatches out clean the nest box. Nothing draws fire ants like the smell of a fresh hatch.
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by country View Post
    i am in no way promoting use if this product in this manner as it is off label use... Taurus sc , contains fipronil 9.1 % . Applied at 4 oz per acre will keep yards free of fire aunts and other insects. Application last about two years. Has had no i'll effects on birds. Mix and apply with sprayer pulled with atv. Can be purchased from amazon 78 oz about $105. Hope this is useful.
    i don't have any fire ants where i live, but one of the very best bug products you can use around the outside of your house is " taurus sc ". It works slowly so the ants, ect will go back to the nest and then all of them will die ! It can last up to 20 years with protection from the rain. I don't think i would use sprayed in a field that birds can be in contact with, but if it works for you so be it. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bootlegger View Post
    i don't have any fire ants where i live, but one of the very best bug products you can use around the outside of your house is " taurus sc ". It works slowly so the ants, ect will go back to the nest and then all of them will die ! It can last up to 20 years with protection from the rain. I don't think i would use sprayed in a field that birds can be in contact with, but if it works for you so be it. Good luck
    I spray it all, cord yard, pens, free range, normally in early spring depends on the weather , last for about two years before I see any activity .

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what kind of ants you deal with up there. I've tried Amdro and it works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up, the DE is working just fine, no more sign of ants. 20 pound bag is gonna last a long time. I will be mixing into my afternoon feeding of fermented oats because of the minerals. Does anyone here feed it to there chickens and what results are you seeing, thanks.....

Post Thanks / Like

One of my sisters son-in-law grew some habanero peppers and puree them in a little water and put in spray bottle and he swears it kills them. I have not tried it yet, I grew some serranos that are too hot for me to eat and I was going to try those, but have not yet. Habaneros are pretty hot, but these serranos make my mouth feel like it is on fire when I eat them. It may just chase them off.